Help With Dish Network Surround

jimpghpa

Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
have had my yahama home theater system hooked up to my dish vip211 for several years with infrared cable no problems. suddenly one day i turn on my tv and my cbs station has no sound...other channels are ok...so i start rebooting and trying different things....now some channels have sound only through center speaker, some channels only through side speakers, and idea what happened to me? i run the setup test on the receiver and all the speakers test out fine which makes be think it is cable? or dish receiver?

Maybe it's the local channels not sending the right signal. Is it local channels only or also satellite channels?

yeah actually it seems to be just my cbs local....wonder if i tried an ota antenna if the sound would be correct. on my non locals i notice that my back speakers are silent on some channels and i notice on those channels my receiver say "pro logic" as opposed to "dolby digital". so i gues not all my channels are not 5.1 all the time. switching from dish to fios this week. can i expect and difference in sound?

My local NBC (KSDK in St. Louis) used to have 5.1 on Dish, but a couple of years ago they changed transponders and it went to 2.1 only. I have talked to dish and they blame the station, the station will not return calls or emails.

My local NBC (KSDK in St. Louis) used to have 5.1 on Dish, but a couple of years ago they changed transponders and it went to 2.1 only. I have talked to dish and they blame the station, the station will not return calls or emails.

Have you tried emailing the engineering department directly? Normally they love to talk tech.

Yup, I have e-mailed and left messages. All friendly, all offering to troubleshoot. It is very frustrating. I'm still not even sure if it is a Dish issue or a KSDK issue, since no one will really talk about it. Anyone else in STL seeing this problem?

Yup, I have e-mailed and left messages. All friendly, all offering to troubleshoot. It is very frustrating. I'm still not even sure if it is a Dish issue or a KSDK issue, since no one will really talk about it. Anyone else in STL seeing this problem?

Now I'm confused. :confused: First you said they won't return your emails, now you say they are friendly and offer to help. What have they told you about their signal? Does it contain the DD signal or not? If so, the problem is on your end. One of my locals doesn't even transmit the DD signal.

raoul5788 said:
Now I'm confused. :confused: First you said they won't return your emails, now you say they are friendly and offer to help. What have they told you about their signal? Does it contain the DD signal or not? If so, the problem is on your end. One of my locals doesn't even transmit the DD signal.

Sorry, a misunderstanding. I meant my emails and calls were friendly. I have received no responses from the station. I get all other DD signals through my Dish locals, but apparently the local NBC does not pass these on through Dish. The funny thing is, they used to, before the transponder move.

Can you receive the problem channel ota? If so, is the dd okay that way?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts