Help with planning a small MDU

Status
Please reply by conversation.

freethinker12345

Original poster
May 10, 2012
US
I'm looking for some help with planning for the following:
I'd like to add DIRECTV capability to a 15 unit apartment building. The building is currently wired for cable using RG6 with a single home run to each apartment from a central maintenance room. I want to use a single antenna on the roof with a single cable to the maint room. SWM modules to be used inside.

Since I don't know how many of the apartments want to switch to DIRECV from Comcast, how do I plan the number of size of SWM modules in advance? As an example, a SWM32 has 4 outputs. Does each output supply a single apartment and give that apartment the capacity for 8 tuners? Would I start with one SWM32 and then use others cascaded should additional apartments want access? What would I need to install initially to insure I can supply all 15 units if not initially but later?

Thanks in advance.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

Have you contacted Directv about doing the install for you? It might save lots of time (money).

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

You'll need to have 4 cables from the dish to the SWM modules. No way around that.

When I did a bunch of 12-plexes, I did 6 SWM8s per building. Each unit has 4 outlets, but it is very unlikely that a unit would have more than 4 tuners. Two units per SWM. Perfect, since the SWM8 had 2 out ports. Now, I would use 3 SWM16s to feed the 48 outlets.

You ought to plan for 4 tuners per apartment. That would allow for 2 DVRs or a DVR and a receiver or 2. I would probably do 2 SWM32s. That would allow pretty good flexibility.

As Chip suggested, you could always contact someone such as N.A.C.E. or PDI. There may be a local operator who could not only install and maintain the system for you, but get it setup as an MDU (possibly discounted services).

egnlsn said:
Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

You'll need to have 4 cables from the dish to the SWM modules. No way around that.

When I did a bunch of 12-plexes, I did 6 SWM8s per building. Each unit has 4 outlets, but it is very unlikely that a unit would have more than 4 tuners. Two units per SWM. Perfect, since the SWM8 had 2 out ports. Now, I would use 3 SWM16s to feed the 48 outlets.

You ought to plan for 4 tuners per apartment. That would allow for 2 DVRs or a DVR and a receiver or 2. I would probably do 2 SWM32s. That would allow pretty good flexibility.

As Chip suggested, you could always contact someone such as N.A.C.E. or PDI. There may be a local operator who could not only install and maintain the system for you, but get it setup as an MDU (possibly discounted services).

X2 well said

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)