Help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Yuma

Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Could the fact that I am using a Terk OTA Antenna with a diplexer be the cause of me receiving the searching for satellite on the HD test channels?

From what I have read, a diplexer can not be used with a bbc. A seperate line will have to be ran. I however do not know why. I would assume it has something to do with frequency or voltage.

Could the fact that I am using a Terk OTA Antenna with a diplexer be the cause of me receiving the searching for satellite on the HD test channels?
The L-band frequencies of the behemoth dish cover from just above VHF channel 13 through most of the UHF band. The diplexer is blocking D10 from the cable.

This is one of the reasons that DIRECTV wants professional installers doing the setup. They have been instructed to tell customers not to use diplexers.

So to answer your question... Yes, the Diplexer is killing some of your sat signals. You have to run a dedicated line from the OTA to the receiver. Does that suck? Yes. Is there a guaranteed workaroud? Not yet.

The L-band frequencies of the behemoth dish cover from just above VHF channel 13 through most of the UHF band. The diplexer is blocking D10 from the cable.

This is one of the reasons that DIRECTV wants professional installers doing the setup. They have been instructed to tell customers not to use diplexers.
:confused::confused:

Funny, because I had a professional install my HD equipment and they are the ones that installed the diplexer to my system so that I could make use of my OTA and dish. This was an install I had requested in May as a result of the upcoming HD channels. At the time of the install they put in the Slimline dish, H20, HR20 and the BBC converters, along with the diplexer for my OTA.

I tried taking the diplexer out of the equation and I do get something different than the "Searching" screen but not a decent picture, mostly pixelations.

I feel like it is time to call DirecTV in to come take a look but I am a little aprehensive now that they are the ones that put in equipment that effects my ability to receive these new channels.

I have a feeling that there will be a lot of customers that use an OTA in the same position that I am in.

By the way, I am a newbie to this technical stuff so bear with me.

Funny, because I had a professional install my HD equipment and they are the ones that installed the diplexer to my system so that I could make use of my OTA and dish. This was an install I had requested in May as a result of the upcoming HD channels. At the time of the install they put in the Slimline dish, H20, HR20 and the BBC converters, along with the diplexer for my OTA.

I tried taking the diplexer out of the equation and I do get something different than the "Searching" screen but not a decent picture, mostly pixelations.

I feel like it is time to call DirecTV in to come take a look but I am a little aprehensive now that they are the ones that put in equipment that effects my ability to receive these new channels.

I have a feeling that there will be a lot of customers that use an OTA in the same position that I am in.

By the way, I am a newbie to this technical stuff so bear with me.

Don't feel bad. I just had mine upgraded. The installer did not even check my BBC tests. Left the OTA atenna hooked up with the diplexer. Did not even set up the OTA stations. I had to get them back and explain to them the isusies. Oh and the dish had to be tweaked. :mad:

There are a lot of installers out there that haven't learned about diplexing and B=Band converters. And there are still more that don't understand the 5 LNB dish and HD. Some can barely install a SD System. This is new stuff and If I was not following these boards I would probably have not know that diplexers are a problem with the converters either.. D* itself hasn't really been very good at making any of this clear.. It pays to really stay current on all this and you have to really work at it in the fluid enviroment that is HD these days.

Why is it that you continue to refer to the new 5 lnb dishes as behemoths? You truly are clueless. Here is a picture of a behemoth dish with the sidecar 5 lnb in front of it.
That is a 10 foot dish on a 42 foot tower about 80 feet away.

Attachments

• twodishes.JPG
    twodishes.JPG
    440.1 KB · Views: 171
There are a lot of installers out there that haven't learned about diplexing and B=Band converters. And there are still more that don't understand the 5 LNB dish and HD. Some can barely install a SD System. This is new stuff and If I was not following these boards I would probably have not know that diplexers are a problem with the converters either.. D* itself hasn't really been very good at making any of this clear.. It pays to really stay current on all this and you have to really work at it in the fluid enviroment that is HD these days.

After some more investgation, I uncovered that I have 3 diplexers, on the outside of my house. This to go along with the two that I have inside, one at each receiver. I guess my attempt at putting the BBC in front of the diplexer last night was rather pointless then.

I'm going to assume that it is probably time for me to call D* for service, would you guys agree? I am a bit weary about this only in that it was their installers who set my system up this way in the first place. Based on your comments in this post, I am somewhat afraid that I may not get anything accomplished with a service call.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts