Here is a link to several hundred movies w/audio and resolution detail

Of course that is for bluray discs. Dish doesn't transmit from bluray discs they get their programming from suppliers that have the movies on servers. What Dish gets they transmit.
I understand that and this is just to show (me) what the movie actually had originally.

I understand that and this is just to show (me) what the movie actually had originally.
You asked in the original post if Dish down mixes it. They don't do a thing except pass along what they have received. I don't think they have the workforce to individually set the audio criteria for every bit of programming they air.

Reactions: HipKat
You asked in the original post if Dish down mixes it. They don't do a thing except pass along what they have received. I don't think they have the workforce to individually set the audio criteria for every bit of programming they air.
I'm sure you are correct. Found something else today of interest.

I watched Jack Reacher on my new Roku Ultra with the Prime Video App. The audio was in 2 channel stereo PCM. This is a 5.1 movie.

Curious so I played it with my Sony BluRay player using the Prime Video App. The audio was correct! DD 3/2/.1

So now I am curious if Dish, Roku , etc. are just passing along or actually reprocessing (perhaps in the Hopper or box) the audio before delivery to the AVR.

Very strange .. I could not find a Prime Video App for the hopper to check.

Just for jeepers I tested Jack Reacher on Amazon Prime on the apps both on my Vizio display and my 2016 Roku Ultra. I got 5.1 on both of them. I have no idea what your issue is but it is in your settings, not the equipment or the the transmission from the supplier.

You seem hung up on some kind of conspiracy where Roku or Dish is reprocessing the audio within the equipment. What possible reason would they have to do that? The equipment is obviously capable of 5.1 because they both process 5.1 all the time. Like I have already stated they pass through what they receive.

Just for jeepers I tested Jack Reacher on Amazon Prime on the apps both on my Vizio display and my 2016 Roku Ultra. I got 5.1 on both of them. I have no idea what your issue is but it is in your settings, not the equipment or the the transmission from the supplier.

You seem hung up on some kind of conspiracy where Roku or Dish is reprocessing the audio within the equipment. What possible reason would they have to do that? The equipment is obviously capable of 5.1 because they both process 5.1 all the time. Like I have already stated they pass through what they receive.
I do appreciate your help but not thinking I have some fetish about bad audio - I don't. I am just looking for an answer and I can guarantee that the setting in the Roku are correct. I bought it 2 weeks ago and it is the Ultra but not sure if it is a 2017 or 2018. Software is current. I get 5.1 on the Sony box and on the fire stick but not on the Roku.

My question regarding Dish was if they are sending the audio the movie was made in or has available. The simple answer to that is not necessarily and , like you said, they likely pass through what they receive. The tiny gain from downgrading audio is nothing compared to the video so agreed, there is absolutely no reason to downgrade it.
Thanks

Bobby I was curious so I hooked up my older Roku 2 and presto ... it works fine. The new Roku Ultra is programed the same (and correctly) so there is a glitch someplace with the new unit. I will just return it and be done.

Oddly enough too, it is still hit and miss with the Roku on the audio with other movies. The Sony BluRay box get it right every time.

Thanks for you help and interest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts