Here we go again, third time, dish changing owned receivers to leased

n4hmb

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Tennessee...on the plateau
:mad: I'm getting really tired of this crap, third time, Dish just out of the blue changes my receivers to leased from purchased. Once the executive resolutions team changes them to purchased, how the hell can they get changed back to leased again?

If you have owned receivers, you better get in the habit of checking you account at least once a month so you can catch these thiefs right away.

I'm getting so fed up with this crap that I'm about ready to change back to DirectTV , I never had this problem with them.

I actually find it humorous how bad Dish is at keeping track of what receivers are leased and owned. I have the hopper system and have a 211k on my account for the tailgater. Dish somehow has the 211k as leased even though they say they do not allow any other leased receivers on a hopper account.

They are thieves if they suddenly years after purchase decide it's leased and I can no longer prove anything. (Fortunately this hasn't happened to me.)

If you bought it from the Dishstore, send me a PM and I'll provide a copy of your receipt

Whats even more screwed up is if you cancel, they will send you a box to send back your owned equipment. Wonder how many thousands of customers sent back their owned equipment because they didn't know better

Just as long as you are able to show you purchased it.
I'm pretty good at keeping receipts, especially "electronic" ones, for items bought online, but what if someone isn't ? What happens to someone who truly does OWN their equipment but no longer has proof, as TheKrell points out ?

I just within the last week had the same thing happen with me. When I called I had to be turned over to the ETR department and supply them with a copy of my receipt to have the problem rectified. They were at a loss of how one of my receivers was changed and the other was not...

What gets me is how they can just change the ownership on a whim. Seems like when DISH CHANGES a receiver to leased, that they would have to provide the documentation to support their changing it from owned to leased. When a company does this and essentially says prove you own it, its really like theft if you don't have the documents, even if you really did purchase it.

My case, I have previously proved I own it and they agreed and changed it to owned and then 6 months later changed it back to leased and now say prove it again. Dish should still have the docs I provided previously.

This seems like some sort of game Dish plays to see how many receivers they can steel from people who my not have kept a receipt as proof.

Dish needs to STOP CHANGING the status of customers receivers, without Dish having proof of it being a lease. Now understand I'm only talking about CHANGING the status of existing receivers that currently show that they are owned by the customer and not Dish.

Yep, this is totally unacceptable. Prove you own it, guilty until proven innocent at the whims of any unsubstantiated criminal charges. This isn't communist Russia.

Seems to me that this is a flaw in the system, rather than someone arbitrarily going into accounts and changing status. It is something that realy needs to be looked into by their software team. The ones who design and support their computer applications. This is something that has been an issue for a while now and there really is no reason it should still be happening.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

No one is saying that someone is purposefully, maliciously doing it, but for this problem to be existent for so long without permanent resolution is criminal.

To the OP, if you have documented proof of each time you had to go through this process to get your receivers' ownership properly assigned, then I would take that information to your state Attorney General. That will get Dish to notice and maybe take a long look at their system/business process.

dare2be said:
No one is saying that someone is purposefully, maliciously doing it, but for this problem to be existent for so long without permanent resolution is criminal.

Agreed, inexcusable. Fortunately I no longer have any owned equipment attached to my account, but I do feel for those that have to go through this. I can tell you that if I did,i would have no way to prove it at this point.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

Well I just did an online chat with Dish and voiced my opinion with exculations. They still told me they can't do anything with a leased receiver unless I show them proof of purchase. It just blows my mind because we all know that Dish's business rules state that no other equipment can be on a Hopper account except a purchased 211. I told her that and she still said she needs the proof of purchase. I told her this needs to be brought up to some higher management because this is an ongoing problem and should be fixed.

I do understand the frustration that this issue is causing and we are looking into how and why it is occurring. I have been placing a permanent note on accounts referring the receiver number and the status as purchased so it will not require additional proof of purchase and we do hope to be able to resolve this issue once and for all. Thank you!

If DIRT has a hand in getting this permanently resolved, then they deserve another "Best of" award.

Mary,

This is not only frustrating but is also very stressful having to deal with this. I am a senior and my stress tolerance level is not what it used to be, due to health issues I just can't continue to put up with this crap over and over again. My receiver just got changed in the past few days, since my bill printed on 11/15. On the 15th it showed as being purchased and today when I went on line to pay my bill it showes as leased.
Dish should BE REQUIRED to tell ME why they changed it! JUST STOP CHANGING IT, LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!

This same thing happened to me when I cancelled my Dish account years ago. I had a owned 510 and a leased 522.
When I called to cancel they told me I had to send back both because they were both leased.
I told them I had my original contract for the 510 (I installed Dish and had done my own contact on the 510), but I wasn't going to bother sending them a copy... they should have a copy.
In my opinion, they have the burden of proof. When they sent the box, I sent back the 522 and thats it.
If they wanted to pursue it they would have had to provide the paperwork to prove I leased it, which did not exist... so wasn't worried about it