Here's my solution to the Turbo HD problem...

york4311

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
USA
Obviously the Turbo HD packages are not going how Dish figured they would. New HD content coming on board is not getting to the Turbo packages etc...

Dish should simply offer this...

Current Turbo HD subscribers can choose the following:

1) Keep what they have until their contract runs out (with the ability to switch between any of the 3 levels...bronze, silver, or gold). In addition, Dish credits them $5 a month. This is until their current committment is up.

2) Allow you to switch to the classic plus HD (that is the same tier as your Turbo HD package) and pay just $5 more than you do with your current Turbo HD package. Once you switch, you can't go back, and if you decided to upgrade to a higher level, you have to pay the full difference. Again, this is just until your committment expiers.

I think this would do a couple of things. One, it would effectively kill off the Turbo packages, as they would not give any new subscribers the option for Turbo packages. Two, it would show good will toward the current Turbo package subscribers. Personally we chose these packages because they were cheap, and Dish was selling them as a good deal. Well, we both are at fault, but there should be some middle ground that we can agree to as fair.

Once your committment is up, you have to choose one of the packages, and if you want HD you have to pay for it. Yeah, I'd be losing some money as well, but the way I feel now, is that I have a package that will never get upgraded with new content, so it's not really the good deal that I thought it was going to be.

Here's my solution to the HD turbo packs. Do away with them entirely. Also do away with charging the extra 10.00 for HD packs + classic packs. Then DISH can advertise that they don't charge any extra for HD with their classic packs. HD IS FREE WITH DISH! I would also move the platinum packs into the AEP . Then all the subs would flock to DISH for all their hd needs , turning around the continuing subs who keep defecting from DISH each quarter. Kill two birds with one stone.

A gutsy move that just might work!

We have always said that CHarlie ERgen had guts , but does he have the BALLS to actually be the first in the industry to no longer charge for HD? It would solve a multitude of problems at DISH and create a standard that all other competitors would have to follow or they would lose subs in droves. I wish he would do this. NOT just to make it cheaper , but it would drive HD as the norm instead of a premium . IT would also save DISH from more defections. Volume of subs increasing would make up for the amount of money "lost" by giving hd free. Besides it doesn't cost anymore for the HD versions for locals, premium movie channels. The extra $10.00 is because they CAN. It would put Charlie in the headlines in the business industry as well , and you know that has to appeal to old Charlie's ego . Come on CHarlie do something really revolutionary in the market place: GIVE PEOPLE FREE HD with any classic packs.
DO IT BECAUSE YOU CAN!:)

Cable companies might not charge for HD programming, but an HD reciever monthly fee is pretty high If I remember right (comcast here in michigan)

I guess $12.95 is too much for a DVR...

Oh wait... Dish charges $10 for HD, $7 DVR fee (unless you have AEP) and $5 phone line fee if the DVR isn't hooked up to a phone line of network.

It's the "nickel & dime" form of marketing!

See ya
Tony

Oh wait... Dish charges $10 for HD, $7 DVR fee (unless you have AEP) and $5 phone line fee if the DVR isn't hooked up to a phone line of network.

See ya
Tony
with dishes nickel and dimes thats where aep pays off
no dvr fees for aep

You can get around the higher equipment charges for HD on cable by using cable cards. Locally you can select a cable card instead of the free SD converter included with digital cable. If you do that you still get all the HD.

See ya
Tony

The point is, at $10 for HD and $7 for a DVR, vs $15 for a dvr, whats the big deal. One BS fee traded for another. Cable can claim they dont charge for HD, but they make it back.

Cox here is $16/mo for the HDDVR that records 20 hours, not OTA and no EHD. I'll gladly be nickel and dimed for my 722k.

Now it's $15 for a cable DVR, I though it was $12? :) It's a difference of a few bucks a month. Or you can just send the few dollars to me if they are worthless to you. :)

The cable card idea is a good one! I have a TV that allows you to loop through video and audio out to a DVR and take it back in through another input so I could hook up my laptop through component out from the TV to the HDMI out from the laptop and use the DVR software included with "MyHD card" for a free DVR through cable.with no DVR or cable box fee.

BTW for the record I am a 12 year Dish subscriber with AEP+HD+Locals subscription for $130/mo. I started out with AT50 (the highest package which included superstations)+HBO+Showtime for $45/mo

See ya
Tony

cox cable has free hd. but, how free is it? i had to pay 14.99 a month for my hd-dvr then i had to pay 9.99 a month for my second hd-rec rental. thats 24.99-8 a month in just equip fees, and the programming package was 64.95. i paid a 90.00, and with taxes it neared a 100.00.

with dish,
57.99 dda 200 (722)
10.00 t250 bonus pack
10.00 hd gold
7.00 additional hd rec
(3.00) credit for phoneline plugged in

total 81.99, with tax im like 86.00 and change

and lets not forget i have a great selection of hd and great pq compared to cox, oh yeah, and i got a 722 rec. i would actually pay more a month if dish charged me then have to go back to cox. my moto dvr had a lifespan of about 90 days and i am going on 2 years with the same 722.

cable companies who say they dont charge for hd programming pass the charge in their equipment.

The local Time Warner cable company has the locals and a few select channels in hd for "FREE." The rest of the hd channels are in a separate hd pack for more money. Although Time Warner Advertises that they are "the home of Free HD". If CHarlie would offer all the hd versions of the regular programming packs , it would truely be revolutionary in the industry. Besides you can't tell me that hd cost more than the sd channels. After all the locals are the same price for sd as for hd. THe premium movie channels are the same for sd and for hd. Why wouldn't the rest of the hd channels in the classic packs be any more ? THis is a $10.00 "Just because we can" charge fee. There fore it makes since that Charlie could stop charging for it , make his turbo stand alone packs go bye -bye with out an outraged sub base. He could attract more new subs and retain existing subs because DISH doesn't charge for HD and existing HD subs would save $10.00 a month. Everyone would win, including subs from the other companies like Directv. Because they too would have to drop the $10.00 fee or they would be at a real disadvantage in marketing. After all Sports is one thing that attracts some subs , but saving $$ attracts even more subs. Especially in recessionary times like these with 10% unemployment rates across the nation. Besides shouldn't HD be the norm instead of the exception at premium prices by now? THis isn't 2003 , we are half way through 2009, and the hd channels are continuing to come online. The next decade for sure will be all hd, so why not DISH lead in this transition from sd to all HD? Another first for DISH in their History ; No extra charges for HD!

The local Time Warner cable company has the locals and a few select channels in hd for "FREE." The rest of the hd channels are in a separate hd pack for more money. Although Time Warner Advertises that they are "the home of Free HD". If CHarlie would offer all the hd versions of the regular programming packs , it would truely be revolutionary in the industry. Besides you can't tell me that hd cost more than the sd channels. After all the locals are the same price for sd as for hd. THe premium movie channels are the same for sd and for hd. Why wouldn't the rest of the hd channels in the classic packs be any more ? THis is a $10.00 "Just because we can" charge fee. There fore it makes since that Charlie could stop charging for it , make his turbo stand alone packs go bye -bye with out an outraged sub base. He could attract more new subs and retain existing subs because DISH doesn't charge for HD and existing HD subs would save $10.00 a month. Everyone would win, including subs from the other companies like Directv. Because they too would have to drop the $10.00 fee or they would be at a real disadvantage in marketing. After all Sports is one thing that attracts some subs , but saving $$ attracts even more subs. Especially in recessionary times like these with 10% unemployment rates across the nation. Besides shouldn't HD be the norm instead of the exception at premium prices by now? THis isn't 2003 , we are half way through 2009, and the hd channels are continuing to come online. The next decade for sure will be all hd, so why not DISH lead in this transition from sd to all HD? Another first for DISH in their History ; No extra charges for HD!

1) HD does cost more.
2) The 10$ fee that is being dropped would be added onto all customers bills in the form of a 10+$ increase next year that would have all of you whining about the price.
3) It serves no purpose as Dish literally doesn't makes squat compared to other companies profit margins.
4) HD prices for add on packs did not go up last year but dish's cost for HD went up around 24% on average.

People want more, more, more and then get upset when they get what they want but have to pay for it. It seems like no middle ground ever. Give me the world and I'd like that for 32.99 a month.

Why do away with the TurboHD packages? A fix is in the works, Dish is certainly aware of the upset customer base who are Turbo only.

The future is HD. TurboHD may not be the name of it but you can bet that in 3-4 years Dish may be pushing extremely hard and taxing SD customers for their use of SD programming trying to get them involved in HD only and/or HD based with SD channels as well.

It just seems ridiculous that people believe the 10$ being dropped would reduce the cost or do anything from a business perspective. Perception wise? Maybe, JUST MAYBE. But from the majority of the existing customer base (sd customers only) it would do nothing for them and only end up costing them more money. This would be revenue for Dish until the SD customers caught on and decide to start cancelling like crazy.

It's a rock and a hard place for the company really. If they keep an add on package price or guarantee an existing customer some low price, that's less than they content they signed up to get, they lose money. If they don't do it, they may lose a small percentage of customer base (turbohd) and they lose money. If they add the HD cost into the regular package pricing, they get a good public image from outsiders and a pissed off sd customer base from the inside.

There's no win-win in this scenario. There's only customer win, dish lose and that's the type of scenario that Dish has solicited with their past advertising of being the cheapest in the industry. They knew going into it that they were going to attract customers who wanted everything on the cheap.

</rant>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts