Hey DISH, Improve Your Picture Quality

It's real enough, but who can get it? Not many people. What would it cost Verizon to cover the same footprint as Dish with thier superior quality signal? I think the answer has a lot to do with why it isn't available most places. If I had access to it I would sure be interested, but never gonna happen unless I move.

It also has a lot to do with local franchises. Verizon can't just go anywhere they want just like Comcast can't just go anywhere they want...

It also has a lot to do with local franchises. Verizon can't just go anywhere they want just like Comcast can't just go anywhere they want...
Comcast has a stronghold here, yet Uverse recently started up. I think it has more to do with infrastructure costs/feasibility over franchise barriers.

Comcast has a stronghold here, yet Uverse recently started up. I think it has more to do with infrastructure costs/feasibility over franchise barriers.

UVerse exists in a Comcast franchise area because it is part of the telephone (ATT) system that is already franchised. You will not see ATT and Verizon in the same communities. That said, you are correct about infrastructure costs. As a side note, Our city forced Comcast to lay brand new conduit to every pedestal in the city. Much of the city was direct buried. There is no doubt in my mind that the city is holding leverage over Comcast to keep things in line or lose their franchise.

I'm not sure how many franchise agreements restrict other providers to come in. I know that Dayton OH's doesn't and I doubt that there's is a non-standard agreement. That wouldn't be legal, would it ? Restricting competition... ? That said, it would be a HUGE risk for a 2nd or 3rd provider to come into a town, spend many, many millions of dollars building a piggy-back cable system/plant for an unknown return. Face it, as much as you hear people complain about their local cable company, how many actually do anything about it ? I know plenty who complain endlessly about Time Warner here but won't even consider D* or E*. Even with an alternate provider, I think only a small number would switch.

Sadly in my area Comcast looks way better than Dish. I'm not sure what happened as a few months ago, Comcast was atrocious compared to Dish. I bet Comcast bringing out their X1 had something to do with this.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

I thought I'd put an update on my perspective of DISH's OnDemand product. As stated earlier...

DISH delivers VOD via a few methods;

1. PPV regularly repeats at set times on Channels 502. The one I've seen there recently was OK for PQ (Man of Steel).

2. VOD from channels 1 and 501 are recorded to your HD off satellite and can be played at will irregardless of time. Just pay the price of admission. I watched a 1080P The Wolverine last weekend and the PQ was very good.

3. iVOD feed through your internet connection. You order the program, then watch after enough of the program file has transferred to the HD via your internet connection. I watched HBO OnDemand Dark Shadows HD and the PQ was abysmal. Any company providing this as an HD service should be shamed out of the business. Yes DISH, it was that bad. To list it as HD is false advertising. I recorded the same movie from HBOE shortly after and the PQ was vastly better, but still of sub-HD quality. Similar to about all the other package channels delivered in HD.

Oh, to put this thread back on topic, :D my grandparents had an ice business. They would harvest ice all winter long off the lake, pull the ice loads to storage in the ice houses with huge Belgians and other draft horses (can't recall the other breeds), and pack the blocks away in straw and sawdust. It's amazing that the ice would stay until well into the following season. Ice routes were done with wagons pulled by the big horses, then by motor driven trucks. The rail terminal is the city was a big customer. Produce and meat shipments would be iced down in their little "captive market". My mother still has old stationary, business stamps, pencils, ice picks, etc. from those years ago.

How fast was your ipvod streaming at? Did you try viewing it after it had fully downloaded or only while streaming it?

I had cued it up along with several other movies a few days before viewing.

It was downloaded via a 4G wifi hotspot connection through my phone. Variable bit rates range from ~10-30 Mb/s. I think the file size averaged out to about 3-4 GB per 2 hr video.

For comparison, mpeg2 HD FTA usually runs about 6.8GB/hr and is a far superior picture.

3. iVOD feed through your internet connection. You order the program, then watch after enough of the program file has transferred to the HD via your internet connection. I watched HBO OnDemand Dark Shadows HD and the PQ was abysmal. Any company providing this as an HD service should be shamed out of the business. Yes DISH, it was that bad. To list it as HD is false advertising. I recorded the same movie from HBOE shortly after and the PQ was vastly better, but still of sub-HD quality. Similar to about all the other package channels delivered in HD.

This was my experience too. The internet-download on-demand "HD" quality was actually worse than SD. I couldn't stand to watch it.

Some of the above sentiments makes me scratch my head. Watched a VOD today(Man of Steel). Good PQ. No complaints here.

Some of the above sentiments makes me scratch my head. Watched a VOD today(Man of Steel). Good PQ. No complaints here.

Was the movie from PPV ch 502, VOD ch 1 or 501? I'm not sure if it is offered iVOD.

I watched Man of Steel in 3-D last weekend and I had NO picture complaints at all. Was great and only the 2nd 3-D movie I have bought since I got my 3-D tv last January.

I just streamed fast and furious and didn't see any issues with it. The quality looked great on my LED and I was viewing while streaming and I was streaming at about 25 mbs on average.

In my case it does start at 26mbps then slows down to 2-6 mbps. This is not an issue with my ISP because I have confirmed this with other devices while steaming and they average 30 mbps.

I'm with comcast and hardwired. Doesn't matter because as I mentioned above everything else I use is more than fine. Not an issue on my end.

I'm with comcast and hardwired. Doesn't matter because as I mentioned above everything else I use is more than fine. Not an issue on my end.

Yup. 45/6 connection on Ethernet here has similar results.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I've only watched two of the internet-downloaded VODs. The first one looked fine -- but it was an animated feature. The second one was live-action, and looked absolutely terrible, SD quality at best even though it was supposed to be HD (but this wasn't even good SD by Dish standards, it was so soft and noisy). Both of them were allowed to download fully before watching, because my DSL connection is only 3Mbps and has lag from hell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)