High Desert Reception

Sandia Sam

Original poster
Aug 2, 2017
Santa Fe, NM
Hello. I'm currently a DISH subscriber at my home. I've got a studio space with no TV reception about 1/2 mile from my residence. I want to add a dish and HD receiver at the studio. Can I do this without having to create a second, separate account and pay DISH for the additional receiver monthly? Guidance appreciated. Thanks!

You could purchase a Wally and separate dish, with the Wally activated on your existing account. That would be similar to what non-fulltime RV'ers often do for service on the road or folks with a seasonal second home. An alternative might be using a Firestick with an existing HDMI equipped TV and the Dish Anywhere app if you have a Hopper with Sling at home and an unlimited or high data limit Internet service at home and the studio.

Reactions: bspei and pattykay
If you have line of sight from home to the studio, you might consider one of the high-power WiFi links. Some brands are Ubiquity and SimpleWiFi, but there are lots of others.

Once you had connectivity, you could use the FireStick or a plain old Joey. The Joey would carry a monthly cost. If you currently pay for an internet connection at the studio, you'd be able to shed that cost as well.

Reactions: TheKrell
You could purchase a Wally and separate dish, with the Wally activated on your existing account. That would be similar to what non-fulltime RV'ers often do for service on the road or folks with a seasonal second home. An alternative might be using a Firestick with an existing HDMI equipped TV and the Dish Anywhere app if you have a Hopper with Sling at home and an unlimited or high data limit Internet service at home and the studio.

Dutch, my internet signal is not very good 5 mbps. So a streaming device may not work well. I do LIKE your idea about using Wally. I'm looking into that.

Reactions: pattykay
If you have line of sight from home to the studio, you might consider one of the high-power WiFi links. Some brands are Ubiquity and SimpleWiFi, but there are lots of others.

Once you had connectivity, you could use the FireStick or a plain old Joey. The Joey would carry a monthly cost. If you currently pay for an internet connection at the studio, you'd be able to shed that cost as well.

The Ubiquity idea is awesome! Unfortunately the studio doesn't have line of sight to home. ;-(

Dutch, my internet signal is not very good 5 mbps. So a streaming device may not work well. I do LIKE your idea about using Wally. I'm looking into that.
The way the answer was explained, would be streaming in network for the firestick.

The way the answer was explained, would be streaming in network for the firestick.

I can confirm that this works well. Set up a Fire stick in my daughter's bedroom and tested it last night with Dish Anywhere. Looks like 1080i picture quality over the local network. Wouldn't make a difference how fast the speed is from your ISP.

Reactions: TheKrell
I've had pretty good success streaming program content even at 2-3Mbps 3G speeds at times using a grey market $5/mo Verizon unlimited 3G data only Jetpack. We usually have much better speeds though, with our current $20/mo unlimited 4G/LTE data plan from AT&T's "Connected Car" program. So data limits don't mean much to us anymore. ;)

Reactions: comfortably_numb

I think the Wally and a separate dish would be the better option if you have poor Internet access, but also the most expensive of course.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts