Home Theater Receivers: Get a cheap one or expensive one?

zubinh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
Long Island, NY
Gents,

I currently have a Sony STRDE-975 Receiver which works well. I paid $350 for it. I am thinking about upgrading to the $900+ Denon 3805. If I sell my current sony I'll still end up shelling out another $600 for the Denon.

My question to you Denon and other high end receiver owners is :
Will my ears really hear the difference? Has anyone else switched from a Sony or Yamaha to a Denon and had a real noticeable improvment in sound? I just dont want to feel like I threw $600 away.

Thanks for the advice!

Any differences betw. receivers below $1000 are likely to be subtle, though going from a $300 to a $900 may improve things a bit.

Really, the big jump in improving sound is going to discrete components ... separate pre/pro and amplifiers.

One thing about receivers is they only sound as good as the speakers being driven.
Reading your equipmnet list everything matches....The upgrade on the receiver will realy not be noticed with out a comparable upgrade to the speakers.

speakers are a major factor but sony es is a major improvement over the regular sony line and i have had denon in the past, and i was quite impressed but again i have always had very good speakers,

I have to agree with the seperate component statement. I have long been an advocate of seperate, discrete components and have spent a lot of time and money going that route.

I have a Denon AVP-8000DTS preamp and 5 power amps, running 7 speakers (all but the subs are Klipsch, from their Reference series).

This makes for a home theater experience that rivals almost any very good commercial theater (or so I think) in my local area.

I rarely go to the theater anymore, for the simple reason that between DVD, satellite and my A/V system, what's the point? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts