• DVD/BR/Game: Sony PS3
  • All the Paradigms bought around 2000

Bedroom
  • Receiver: Onkyo DS 595
  • Speakers
  • Fronts: DJL 83E
  • HDTV: Panasonic TC-L37U22
  • Cable/Satellite: DishNetwork Vip611
  • DVD: Panasonic (forgot the model - but not HD, but plan to buy a sub-$100 BR DVD next month)

Upgrades:

Since my Onkyo DS 595 is not HD-capable, I decided to upgrade it so that I can derive maximum benefit from my HDTV using HDMI cables. I ended up with the Denon 1611 from 6Ave ($297)

My plan is to switch the Onkyo 607 in the living room with the Denon 1611, and then swap the 8 yr old DS 595 in the bedroom with the 607 (the DS 595 will probably be sold).

I want to get a surround sound speaker package (5 x1) for the bedroom (15 x 15 feet).

Question / Thoughts

(1) I plan to ultimately replace the Paradigm Titan main speakers in living room to something a bit bigger, so I am wondering if for now, it would be good to swap the Titans in the living room with the DJL 83E in the bedroom ?

These DJLs are not so well-known (i bought them from Circuit City around 2004), and some specs can be found here: (Dual Electronics DJL83E Main / Stereo Speaker Details and Product Specifications - Epinions.com)

OR

(2) would it be better to leave the set up as it is, and add some center+sub+satellites to the bedroom? If so, what would you suggest for about $100?

OR

(3) Could I just get this $100 Yamaha NS-SP1800BL : (Amazon.com: Yamaha NS-SP1800BL 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker Package: Electronics) for the bedroom, and then sell the DJL 83E on Craigslist?

I really appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks again for your thoughts:

rgds, PundaSmith

My experience with speakers, going back 35+ years, is to trust your own ears. Try moving the speakers between the rooms and see if you like what you hear. If you have a local store where you can listen, or better yet, take home for the weekend, you can listen to a wider variety. Like I said, trust your own ears, not someone else's. This is only for speakers, with other equipment I will seek out other opinions.

Thanks very much for your thoughts. I am already experimenting with the various placements, just wanted others experiences on the other setup issues.

I don't have any experience with those Yamahas, but I have bought cheap Yamaha speakers in the past. They sounded like.... cheap Yamaha speakers.

I'd have trouble believing you are going to get anything as good as the existing speakers at that price. My recommendation would be to stick with what you have and monitor craigslist for a $100 deal on the additional 3.1 You are never going to get a blow them away 5.1 experience on that budget, but the used approach will do better than the Yamahas. IMHO.

BTW, I'm running an Onkyo 605 and leftover Denon HTIB 5.1 speakers in the bedroom, so my b/r setup isn't all that different.

Thanks very much for your input. Your suggestions are spot on, and I plan to pursue them: I will canvass PawnShops and Craigslist for the rest 3.1. Thanks again - PS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)