Home Weather Stations

mcintire123

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Pennsylvania, United States
Going to get my father a home weather station for x-mas. He currently has a outside thermometer and a old plastic rain gauge out by the garage.

I was looking at a La Crosse Technology Professional Weather Center ---> http://www.walmart.com/ip/La-Crosse...olar-Wind-Sensor/17378768?findingMethod=rr#rr

What I was hoping was that some of my fellow satguys would have a home weather station and chime in with their equipment and any other good products for me. I would really like to get one with a wireless display so I can set it by his chair in the living room like his digital temp display and maybe like this one I linked to a USB or equivalent receiver so it can also go to the PC but that is not a big deal. Wind, rain, baro, temp, and humidity. Would like to keep the price under or around $200. Any suggestions or comments?

I've got a Vantage Pro2 model from Davis Instruments I really like but it is a lot more than $200. They have a newer Vantage Vue model that does most of the same stuff but it is still over your budget. Wireless range on both is supposed to be 1000 feet.

I've got a Vantage Pro2 model from Davis Instruments I really like but it is a lot more than $200. They have a newer Vantage Vue model that does most of the same stuff but it is still over your budget. Wireless range on both is supposed to be 1000 feet.

Thanks, that pro2 model looks great, would be nice to get that but he would probably be pissed if he saw me spending that much on his x-mas, half the time he wont ever take anything off of me. You know, one of those people..

I know Radio Shack had their top end system on clearance for $49.95 but at this point I am not sure what is left. It had all the gauges plus USB connection. I didn't buy it because there was no accuracy data on the box. Radio Shack thermometers used to have a +/- 1 degree accuracy but five years ago I looked at one of their units and it was +/- 4 degrees :eek:

It might be a really nice unit if you can find one locally.

I know Radio Shack had their top end system on clearance for $49.95 but at this point I am not sure what is left. It had all the gauges plus USB connection. I didn't buy it because there was no accuracy data on the box. Radio Shack thermometers used to have a +/- 1 degree accuracy but five years ago I looked at one of their units and it was +/- 4 degrees :eek:

It might be a really nice unit if you can find one locally.

Wow, +- 4? That seems kind of crazy in the day of digitality haha. How could you make something these days with todays materials that is that far off? I didn't think of the shack, Ill have to stop in there, thanks.

I've got a La Crosse weather station with the remote outside unit that only does temperature and humidity that's been very good. I've had it now for about 4 or 5 years and it's been pretty much trouble free since I bought it. And yes, I would buy another one if I had a need for one. They make good stuff, IMHO!

I have both the Davis vantage pro 2 and and a vantage vue. Both with the IP module.

Found an online site that sells them factory direct for 20 percent off.

I think most today would go with the vantage vue for pricing

The IP module is the best part. No computer connection needed and your data uploads once a minute to the Davis Web site (ethernet connection required).
There, you can either share or keep it private. Friends really like that part of it.

Davis sends my data on to Wunderground and the National Weather Service data base which both reproduce it in various web modules.

It also transmits indoor data, so if you have an empty house or cabin, you can monitor freezing temps or power failures by remotely watching the feed (nice if you live where it freezes).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts