Hopper 3 - all tuners in use? 8 of 16?

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
I might see this issue tonight. I decided to do a stress test on my new Hopper 3 by recording the Presidential Debate on every single channel which it is being aired on, in addition to the big 4 in PTAT. I want to be able to see all of the before and after commentary to determine who is least/most biased.

**note, I will say nothing political in this thread**

Reactions: charlesrshell

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
I might see this issue tonight. I decided to do a stress test on my new Hopper 3 by recording the Presidential Debate on every single channel which it is being aired on, in addition to the big 4 in PTAT. I want to be able to see all of the before and after commentary to determine who is least/most biased.

**note, I will say nothing political in this thread**
Results

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID using the SatelliteGuys app!

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
Results of my experiment.

We were watching live from the beginning, I forget which channel. Eighteen minutes in the screen went black. I changed to another channel and we watched the rest of it there.

I ended up with double the expected number of recordings. Half were the first 18 minutes and the other had started at 8:18. The box did not reboot, but all the recordings quit and restarted at the same time. I need to check the big 4 networks and see what happened there.

I have not yet done the actual viewing of talking heads. That will require some stamina.

HuskerDish

Oct 16, 2016
Nebraska
Had this same issue happen to me tonight. 2 tuners in use including one being used for PTAT. Went to record football game airing on ABC (obviously one of the PTAT channels) as I was fairly sure the game would run over and I wanted the manual recording so I could extend it, and received the all tuners in use message. Hopefully this is a software issue that Dish can resolve with an update sooner than later.

Bobby

Publican
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Rohnert Park, CA
You get an automatic one hour extra time added to a sports event and, if it is on a PTAT channel, you wouldn't miss any of the game if it went over that. It may well be that you can't set a manual timer on a PTAT channel. A better way, to make you more comfortable is to set a recording for the next program in the guide on that channel.

HuskerDish

Oct 16, 2016
Nebraska
You get an automatic one hour extra time added to a sports event and, if it is on a PTAT channel, you wouldn't miss any of the game if it went over that. It may well be that you can't set a manual timer on a PTAT channel. A better way, to make you more comfortable is to set a recording for the next program in the guide on that channel.
I did not get the extra hour of record time being a PTAT recording. I have seen that to be true with manual recordings of sports events. During playback, at 3 1/2 hours which was the scheduled time of the game, the recording ended.
I have found the best workaround for my situation is to, as you mentioned, manually record the next show after the PTAT game or if while watching the game, I press Info, choose "Showtimes", click on the "Recording Now" show, I get an "Edit Timer" option where I can extend the PTAT game recording up to 90 extra minutes.
What is weird is that I can schedule a manual recording of a PTAT show with ease as long as it hasn't started yet.

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
With U331 out now I wonder if this might have been addressed. I never ran into this message, but I'm lame compared to the rest of you Recording Masters...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)