Hopper 3 and Wally

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dvrman

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
David Zatz's blog Zatznotfunny has info from the FCC about a hopper 3 to be announced at CES 2016 with Zigbee (home automation ?), bluetooth , dual band wifi and maybe 4K ?
ANyone have other rumors ?

Tomorrows retailer chat may reveal a little more info. In addition to" Upcoming changes to Offers, Pricing and Equipment" they will also be discussing "2016 Consumer Electronics Show" & "2016 Team Summit preview".

Wally.......http://zatznotfunny.com/2015-12/dish-wally-headed-to-ces/

dish-wally.jpg

I'm hoping for Internet fallback. And be interesting to see if the Wally can control portable self aiming sat antennas.

And a keyboard/pointing device would be great, so I can type in "NASA" and not have to remember the channel. And it might even make Facebook useable on the Hopper.

Reactions: D. Manley
I'm hoping for Internet fallback. And be interesting to see if the Wally can control portable self aiming sat antennas.

And a keyboard/pointing device would be great, so I can type in "NASA" and not have to remember the channel. And it might even make Facebook useable on the Hopper.
Not sure you are gonna get that. From the link, "Given the available intel, we suspect Wally is the DISH 211 heir apparent sporting the Hopper UI."

I tried to ask this before, but my Kindle Fire has a mind of its own, & I had to delete the message. Anyway, would the new Wally allow you to see & play recordings from your Hopper, if anybody knows the answer?

Wally could resemble the genie lite imo.

For example a 4 room new directv customer that doesn't want a dvr will get a genie lite and 3 mini genies unless they pay out of pocket a 1 time upgrade fee for regular boxes.

With the new hopper and the wally, dish may have their own version of the genie lite. Time will tell.

Yes, but the idea that I'm getting at is, like with the Directv Genie, getting a 2 tuner DVR &/or 1 tuner receiver allows for you to be able to have TV to watch if the Genie goes out & needs to be replaced. The Wally should work(?) on the same principle. It has an independent tuner that continues to work if your Hopper goes out. The trade-off would be the same that you had when you first started hooking up 2 Hoppers to the same set-up, except you could set up recordings for the Hopper, but it would be its own independent box, it wouldn't be an extension of the Hopper like the Joey & Super Joey are. You watch TV from the Wally's own tuner, & recordings only from the Hopper on the Wally. Also, you'd still need to go to the Hopper itself to fine tune any recording that you scheduled from the Wally unlike being able to do all of that from the Joey(I'm assuming that the Joey works on the same principle as the Genie Client). If the Wally was the Hopper Lite, it would have 3 tuners without the ability to record, unless you can hook up an external hard drive, like with the Genie Lite, to then turn it into a DVR.

The ultimate dream set up would be the DPH hybrid LNB, 2 Hoppers if possible, or a Hopper & a Super Joey at least, & as many Wallys as the DPH allows. Or go with the regular LNB set up if the new hybrid LNB's do not like/work with the extra tuners that come with the Wallys in addition to the 2 Hoppers or Hopper/Super Joey combo.

At the end of the day I knew there would be more questions than answers. Any word on wally?

Connecting Wallys to Hoppers doesn't make sense. It's just meant to be a stand alone non-DVR receiver, primarily for RVs and business installations. If you need connectivity to a Hopper, that's precisely what Joeys and Super Joeys are for. I'm not quite sure what you'd be trying to accomplish by using a Wally instead of a Joey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)