Hopper 3 consistently rebooting and failing to exit standby mode

jaredbo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 18, 2011
Indiana
Anyone else experience this issue with the Hopper 3? A week ago my Hopper 3 started rebooting every 2-3 minutes. The Dish rep did a partial reset remotely when I called. That seemed to stop the random reboots but today, the Hopper went into standby mode and I am unable to get it out unless I hit the red reset button. I’ve been on the phone with another Dish rep for 45 mins while they run through several diagnostic tests with no solution. Anyone have any helpful advice?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Yes, I’ve unplugged it for 15 secs, plugged it directly into the wall, unplugged the EHD, unplugged the OTA tuner, unplugged the Ethernet cable.....nothing helps. I’m still on the phone with Dish and they have now decided to send me a new receiver but I have to pay to have them send me a new one. I’m not doing that....I lease the receiver. This rep is not helpful at all. It has rebooted on him 4x while he tries to connect. I’m now on hold as he looks for options. I’ve been a dish customer for over 15 yrs but I’m about done......

It has now been 1 hr and 9 mins on the phone with this rep and I’m still unclear what he is planning to do other than he “thinks” I need a new receiver.

That happened to me on Superbowl Sunday of all days one year. They were set to send me a new Hopper. Then it just stopped doing it and has never done it again. I called them and they said they found the problem on their end.

If you haven't, ask for a higher level tech

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheKrell
Just tell them to send you a receiver that works.
Then copy anything you want to save to your EHD and back up your timers to the remote.

Reactions: CyberSpock
After 2.5 hrs, they finally decided to send me a new Hopper 3 (I asked them to do so 3-4x throughout the call and asked to be sent to advanced tech support but was told they needed to diagnose the issue first). They claim the new receiver will be here in 5 days, until then the receiver randomly restarts multiple times an hr. I have never set up a Hopper myself. Anyone have any tips for getting all the Joeys connected, restoring my timers from a remote, etc. I have a 52.0 and 54.1 remote. Should I back up to both remotes or doesn’t it matter? I am working on backing up my dvr to the EHD but that has been difficult as the receiver restarts randomly.

After 2.5 hrs, they finally decided to send me a new Hopper 3 (I asked them to do so 3-4x throughout the call and asked to be sent to advanced tech support but was told they needed to diagnose the issue first). They claim the new receiver will be here in 5 days, until then the receiver randomly restarts multiple times an hr. I have never set up a Hopper myself. Anyone have any tips for getting all the Joeys connected, restoring my timers from a remote, etc. I have a 52.0 and 54.1 remote. Should I back up to both remotes or doesn’t it matter? I am working on backing up my dvr to the EHD but that has been difficult as the receiver restarts randomly.

Before you setup the new Hopper, just back up one remote. You can pair both of them to the new Hopper.
As for the setup, just follow the prompts when you plug it in.

If you want to Activate via your internet connection - which is probably easier than sitting on hold with Dish - Connect it via Ethernet if possible. If you have to use WiFi - read below.
Once it boots, it will go directly to the pair remote screen. Hit the Sat Button on the side to pair it, then click on Next and Save.
Then the Hopper with run a Check Switch to acquire the Sats. It will then move to the Waiting to Activate Screen.

If you connected to your internet in the beginning, just fill out the form you'll see with your Zip Code, acct number/previous Hopper Receiver number. (The Rxxxxxxxxxx number on the back).
If weren't able to connect, at this point, hit the Skip Back Arrow (the one you use to go back 10 seconds) - Recall - skip back and it will come out of the wizard and you can hit the Home Button 3 times to get to Diagnostics, scroll down to #2 for Network, #78 For WiFi Setup and connect to your WiFi. Then power off with the front panel Power button, give it about 10 seconds, then power up, follow the remote prompts and it should go back to the activation screen so you can fill in the info I posted above - or you can just call the Toll Free number and do it via phone

Once it activates, here's the process I use. I'll move to the Summary screen. I go right to Watch TV at the bottom. Then I go to settings and set the Power to Last Channel. I set the TV to 1080 and Resize Screen to fit. Then I go to Remote and set the room name, the TV brand and then wait for the Program Guide to d/l.

Give it a few hours and try to restore your settings form the remote

Before you setup the new Hopper, just back up one remote. You can pair both of them to the new Hopper.
As for the setup, just follow the prompts when you plug it in.

If you want to Activate via your internet connection - which is probably easier than sitting on hold with Dish - Connect it via Ethernet if possible. If you have to use WiFi - read below.
Once it boots, it will go directly to the pair remote screen. Hit the Sat Button on the side to pair it, then click on Next and Save.
Then the Hopper with run a Check Switch to acquire the Sats. It will then move to the Waiting to Activate Screen.

If you connected to your internet in the beginning, just fill out the form you'll see with your Zip Code, acct number/previous Hopper Receiver number. (The Rxxxxxxxxxx number on the back).
If weren't able to connect, at this point, hit the Skip Back Arrow (the one you use to go back 10 seconds) - Recall - skip back and it will come out of the wizard and you can hit the Home Button 3 times to get to Diagnostics, scroll down to #2 for Network, #78 For WiFi Setup and connect to your WiFi. Then power off with the front panel Power button, give it about 10 seconds, then power up, follow the remote prompts and it should go back to the activation screen so you can fill in the info I posted above - or you can just call the Toll Free number and do it via phone

Once it activates, here's the process I use. I'll move to the Summary screen. I go right to Watch TV at the bottom. Then I go to settings and set the Power to Last Channel. I set the TV to 1080 and Resize Screen to fit. Then I go to Remote and set the room name, the TV brand and then wait for the Program Guide to d/l.

Give it a few hours and try to restore your settings form the remote

Thank you. When you say pair the remote, do you mean the new remote or the one that I have backed up my settings to?

Thank you. When you say pair the remote, do you mean the new remote or the one that I have backed up my settings to?

I'd do the one you have your settings backed up to, although that would be both the 52 and 54 if they're both paired to the current Hopper, If you can, might not hurt to back them up off the old Hopper before you install the new one AND disconnect the old Hopper from your Internet by hitting Info-Recall on the Internet Settings Page, incase you want to try and transfer recordings to the new Hopper

Reactions: charlesrshell
I'd do the one you have your settings backed up to, although that would be both the 52 and 54 if they're both paired to the current Hopper, If you can, might not hurt to back them up off the old Hopper before you install the new one AND disconnect the old Hopper from your Internet by hitting Info-Recall on the Internet Settings Page, incase you want to try and transfer recordings to the new Hopper

Thank you. I believe I am ready for the new Hopper to arrive. For some reason, I have 5 dvr recordings that are failing to transfer to my EHD. They appear that they are transferring but I get a message saying “transfer complete with errors”. The recordings do not show up on the EHD and are still on the Hopper hard drive. Not sure what is causing this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)