Hopper 3 EHD Capacity Limit

AlexTheOne

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
Sorry if this was already answered somewhere, did quick search of the forum but could not find direct answer.

The new Hopper 3 looks really nice but my only concern having currently two Hoppers with almost full DVRs in both, is how the potential move to the single Hopper 3 would work for me.

I am still trying to find official confirmation about Hopper 3 limits for EHD, I know up until now DISH recommended (had limit to) drives up to 2TB, but watching CEO 2016 YouTube video from Scott G. interviewing Vivek K. it sounds that the new Hopper 3 would not have such limit in place:

DISH @ CES 2016
*skip to 1:16 part*

If I could use Hopper 3 with single powered UBS 3 drive with 4TB, 6TB or 8TB capacity attached to it, it would help cover my needs.

Scott G. (or anyone else) can you please answer?
Thanks.

I am in your exact situation and have been researching this. I ended up going with a 2 TB WD ($93 amazon). Apparently, the 3 TB (or larger) works, but there is an problem with # of recordings, and you probably wont be able to use all 3TB.

I copied everything I wanted to keep off my 2 hoppers, and will use it to give me 4 TB total on the Hopper 3. With USB3, I am hoping that there is a way to have it seamlessly integrate so that it is mostly just like having a 4TB drive in the Hopper 3. But if not, no different than going between Hoppers the way I do currently.

FYI....Scott G. provided me with an update (thanks, Scott) confirming that the new Hopper 3 indeed still has 2TB EHD limit (some larger drives MAY work, so YMMV) and it is not due to DISH but actually Broadcom chipset and drivers used in Hoppers. Hopefully Broadcom comes with updates which would allow the use of larger drives in/with the future Hoppers.
Until then we can use as many separate 2TB drives as we want, which is not as "elegant" solution for all the data lovers but at least is an option. Thanks.​

Reactions: navychop
I currently use 4 EHD's on one USB port using a switched USB 3.0 hub.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L5IS9KE

I have them segregated by Movies, Concerts, TV Shows, etc. It's not the 2 ports on the back, it's the software limitation of 2 EHD's on the Hopper. So when I turn one on I get the External Drive Connected message and click OK. I can then turn another on and repeat, when I want to turn them off to save power or swap one out, I turn on off (hit OK at the Disconnected message) and then turn on the next one. With the standard WD EHD's when you disconnect the USB port it will spin down the drive saving power (other than the leach of the power brick for each drive).

Before 529, there were random Hopper reboots sometimes when I did that. So I made sure I didn't make any configuration changes if it was recording anything just in case it decided to poop itself and restart. But since 529, I have not seen any restarts of my Hopper. I've been using that switch a lot lately copying off programming to the different EHD's in prep for the upgrade to the H3.

Reactions: stardust3
This confuses me: wouldn't the Hopper have to re-index the drive when it is selected on your switch? They way my Hopper2s used to work was if I unplugged one external drive and plugged in another in its place, the drive wouldn't work properly until after the nightly reboot. I assume a re-indexing occurred during that process if the drive was changed. Has Dish changed this process?

This confuses me: wouldn't the Hopper have to re-index the drive when it is selected on your switch? They way my Hopper2s used to work was if I unplugged one external drive and plugged in another in its place, the drive wouldn't work properly until after the nightly reboot. I assume a re-indexing occurred during that process if the drive was changed. Has Dish changed this process?

Yes, it does re-index. But no reboot is required. If it did then normally plugging in a EHD, removing it and plugging in another you would have to take a day which it never has. When I turn one off, click OK, then turn the other on, I see the WD HD access lights flash for about 30 seconds and then I get the you have connected an external device message and click OK.

I don't think that it is supported, but I wouldn't be surprised if it works on the USB3 port because the amperage is there to charge the new Hopper Go drive.

I sure hope that it's just not for the Hopper GO drive. It would be great to use regular USB3 EHD's to transfer movies and shows back and forth much faster.

I was looking at drives on Amazon. What's the difference between WD Passport and WD Elements?They currently offer a 2TB Elements for $78.
Seems a little expensive to me I picked up the 2TB Elements from Adorama the other day for $62 and I believe the only difference is that the Passport has a power supply and the elements doesn't

Seems a little expensive to me I picked up the 2TB Elements from Adorama the other day for $62 and I believe the only difference is that the Passport has a power supply and the elements doesn't
Not quite. Both Elements and Passports are USB powered. My Books have a power supply. A few years ago, the Elements did, I believe, but no longer.

Edit/Correction: To confuse things, the Elements do have power supply. The Elements "Portable" do not.

Last edited: