Hopper 3 terrible HD picture

I realize that yes but all I am trying to do is have the same picture I had with my HWS on the same TV and the same viewing distance.

The picture with the new UI is different. It is not going to be the same as the old UI no matter how hard you try.

You could try turning down the sharpness on your TV to make the picture softer more like the old UI was. That might help you.

I have been following this thread since the beginning. I have a Hopper 3 (just switched from D*) and although I will cede that the PQ is not quite as good, it is not terrible either. As a matter of fact, it gets better at certain times of the day and depending on content is either great or awful. Standing back 10' on my 65" I really can't tell a difference between D* and Dish.

I know you have been with Dish before you got the H3, I am just wondering if this could all be just perception? What I mean is that clearly the UI is very modern/clean/perfect, whereas the PQ is not perfect. Going back and forth is like looking at the hot chick (perfect 10) at the bar and her less than perfect sister (a solid 7). :biggrin Could it be just your perception that the HWS is better because the UI is so drastically different?

I have seen the pics and honestly (like others have stated) they look awful but it all depends on content/channel/time of day. Would love to see your Science Channel in HD at night recorded in HD.

Best of luck man.
I understand why you bring up perception. But he was expecting a similar picture as with the old machine. And it was his first impression when the new one came alive. He did not stare at it for hours to come to that conclusion. What he saw the first time was telling him something isn't right. He didn't talk himself into it. He had no reason to.

I have been following this thread since the beginning. I have a Hopper 3 (just switched from D*) and although I will cede that the PQ is not quite as good, it is not terrible either. As a matter of fact, it gets better at certain times of the day and depending on content is either great or awful. Standing back 10' on my 65" I really can't tell a difference between D* and Dish.

I know you have been with Dish before you got the H3, I am just wondering if this could all be just perception? What I mean is that clearly the UI is very modern/clean/perfect, whereas the PQ is not perfect. Going back and forth is like looking at the hot chick (perfect 10) at the bar and her less than perfect sister (a solid 7). :biggrin Could it be just your perception that the HWS is better because the UI is so drastically different?

I have seen the pics and honestly (like others have stated) they look awful but it all depends on content/channel/time of day. Would love to see your Science Channel in HD at night recorded in HD.

Best of luck man.

Yes not all channels are created equal but these are the same shows I watched before are laughable now and yes now that it has been 3 weeks or more it is hard to compare in my head so they are coming saturday to swap back to a Hopper 2 just to see if they can see the difference and not just me. I can't imagine it is in my head and that I would have lived with this picture for as long as I have had Dish. This is not HD i any way i my eyes. Even shows on HBO and Showtime which are usually some of the better looks terrible. I will take some video from Billions on Showtime it was so bad in some darker scenes I was laughing.

I understand why you bring up perception. But he was expecting a similar picture as with the old machine. And it was his first impression when the new one came alive. He did not stare at it for hours to come to that conclusion. What he saw the first time was telling him something isn't right. He didn't talk himself into it. He had no reason to.

Exactly thank you and the install tech at the time agreed it looked bad.

The picture with the new UI is different. It is not going to be the same as the old UI no matter how hard you try.

You could try turning down the sharpness on your TV to make the picture softer more like the old UI was. That might help you.

Has nothing to do with it being sharper it is very pixelated and low resolution. If I had to guess it looks like it's stuck in 480p instead of outputing in 1080i or the bitrate is so low that it has ruined the picture.

Has nothing to do with it being sharper it is very pixelated and low resolution. If I had to guess it looks like it's stuck in 480p instead of outputing in 1080i or the bitrate is so low that it has ruined the picture.
It probably looks like when I watch a trailer on the H3 and the first few seconds after it starts are horrible. It eventually evens out after a few seconds more

Trying to tell everyone that the UI effects picture quality tells me that I care nothing about your opinion on this matter lol but thanks for your input.

The new UI is a completely different picture than the old UI. That's a fact. It's different video drivers and everything. Vivek the CTO from DISH is the one who has stated this fact so denying it isn't going to help you. LOL right back at ya. All my pictures are GREAT!

To me it's like when there is something wrong with my car. I can feel it that it didn't do that before. I always wonder at first if it isn't my imagination. It always turned out that I was right that something broke.

The new UI is a completely different picture than the old UI. That's a fact. It's different video drivers and everything. Vivek the CTO from DISH is the one who has stated this fact so denying it isn't going to help you. LOL right back at ya. All my pictures are GREAT!

I agree that under the hood the drivers or even codec handling are different but don't call it the UI because that is just the interface that is all I am saying.

Just for sake of comparing do any of you have say Showtime that can watch the same show recorded on your Hopper 3 and then using Showtime Anytime to see how much of a difference you see? Would most people say the Hopper 3 version or streaming version should look better?

I agree that under the hood the drivers or even codec handling are different but don't call it the UI because that is just the interface that is all I am saying.

So now you're admitting that the new OS including codecs and drivers are different but you expect the same result as the old one. What I'm saying is that the picture with the new UI is different. It's referred to as the new 'UI' because that's what it is. If it makes you feel better you can call it the Carbon UI. It is totally different than the old UI software including picture presentation. When the HWS gets the new software it will have the same picture presentation as the new UI on the H3. It's just that simple.

And doesn't it seem funny that you are the ONLY one with this 'problem'. Even after all the equipment is replaced multiple times. There's your LOL.

I just did a test, here's the setup
Showtime recording to Denon S900 AVR to Sharp 4K 70" thx certified tv
ShowtimeAnywhere from fire tv to tv

Stream from fire tv a little better but the difference is slight to my eyes from my 11' viewing distance.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

So now you're admitting that the new OS including codecs and drivers are different but you expect the same result as the old one. What I'm saying is that the picture with the new UI is different. It's referred to as the new 'UI' because that's what it is. If it makes you feel better you can call it the Carbon UI. It is totally different than the old UI software including picture presentation. When the HWS gets the new software it will have the same picture presentation as the new UI on the H3. It's just that simple.

And doesn't it seem funny that you are the ONLY one with this 'problem'. Even after all the equipment is replaced multiple times. There's your LOL.

If this is where Dish is going with the new equipment and it turns out I do not have any picture issues then I will be the first person to come on here and apologize for wasting everyone's time but I am telling you this is not normal and if this is what they are calling HD I will be the first to switch to another provider.

If this is where Dish is going with the new equipment and it turns out I do not have any picture issues then I will be the first person to come on here and apologize for wasting everyone's time but I am telling you this is not normal and if this is what they are calling HD I will be the first to switch to another provider.

Bye.

I just did a test, here's the setup
Showtime recording to Denon S900 AVR to Sharp 4K 70" thx certified tv
ShowtimeAnywhere from fire tv to tv

Stream from fire tv a little better but the difference is slight to my eyes from my 11' viewing distance.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

Ok perfect thanks I will do the same test with my setup tonight and show you the difference side by side in pictures. There should be slightly more compression the Hopper over the streaming but like you said not enough to bother much. The superbowl looked so bad on the Hopper 3 I had to watch it on my Apple TV luckily the live streamed it this year.

If Vivek is following these threads, why hasn't he given his opinion about this customers issues with poor picture quality. Having been someone who has installed satellite systems since the early 80's, it amazes me how incompetent some of these techs are at basic troubleshooting techniques. I would start by eliminating everything inline except what's required to get a signal from the dish to the hopper3. I would put some fittings on a jumper cable and run it from the LNB through a window straight to the hopper3 and go from there.

A very long thread about one customers seemingly freakish malfunction. Something in glabrecque's setup is causing it. I hope they can find the answer, soon, or at least get him up and running with the HWS, for now.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)