Hopper alone

estibhoff

Original poster
Jul 22, 2014
Hi...I am a newbie to the Hopper.
I am a Dish subscriber...pre-Hopper. Just bought a Hopper w/ Sling that came with a Joey.

Is it possible to just use the Hopper alone?
Does the dish HAVE to be replaced? I have a Dish with the dual LNBF [if that is what they are called]

I am just curious if, to start with, I can leave everything as is for now and still access my subscription, once I enable the box through dish.

Is it just that I will NOT get the HD service?

I apologize for asking such basic questions, but the Dish online chat folks have given me contradictory information and some posts and email responders are doing the same. I have no idea what is absolutely necessary.
What is amusing and frustrating, is that the installation diagrams show connections through nodes and switches and taps between dish and Hoppers and Joeys and internet devices and ethernet, et. al and yet never show connection endpoint of a television. This is a no-brainer to those who do this all the time, but not to the infrequent dish upgrader.

Anybody out there willing to school me on this, with explanation and diagrams?

estib

DISH is really expecting the Hopper to be installed by their techs. or self installers who are competent at installing A/V equipment. Ask specific questions and I'm sure you will get answers. What are you replacing model #? Sounds like you have a dish 500 with a Twin LNB.

Welcome to the forum.

The basics for the hopper system:
a dish with a dishpro plus lnb or dishpro plus switch
2 cables from the dish or switch to the node
from the node you need 1 3ghz rated cable to the hopper

what type of receiver do you have now?
if you can access the checkswitch screen, it should tell you what type of dish/switch is installed

Yes, you can install a Hopper WS without any joeys. Are you planning to install it yourself, since you said that you "bought" the HWS? Dish changes out the Dish and nodes and LNB, as necessary when they do the install at no extra costs to you.

FYI, if you connect a hopper directly to an lnbf with no node between you will still be able to have programming however, only 2 tuners will work.

Posted Via MAGIC!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)