Hopper and ownership question

Gobucks

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
Ohio
I'm really considering leaving Direct for Dish even though they don't have AMC. My question is I know they will give me 1 free Hopper but can I get two and no Joeys? I know I will have to pay an extra $100 to $200 and that's ok. I have read that they will not do a 2 Hopper only system.

My ownership question is.... if I get a Hopper through Solid Signal for $350 and shipping will it be mine? Will I own it? I know with Direct you will not own it. So I figure if I can't get a 2 Hopper system through Dish I will get their free one and buy my own. If I have to do that will it work? Thanks again for all your help. I do appreciate it.

By the way I didn't know where to post this?

Our system doesn't allow 2H/0J to be setup. A retailer might be able to do this.

If you purchase it from solid signal, you will own that receiver, and we would be able to activate it for you if you do a self install.

Thanks for the quick info. I will contact a retailer. So if I buy one from Solid Signal and get a free one from you guys I have to self install the one from Solid Signal? I'm asking because I'm in a wheelchair and I'm not able to do a self install for the owned Hopper. Thanks again!

Thanks for the quick info. I will contact a retailer. So if I buy one from Solid Signal and get a free one from you guys I have to self install the one from Solid Signal? I'm asking because I'm in a wheelchair and I'm not able to do a self install for the owned Hopper. Thanks again!

We can send someone out to install it for you, but there will be an extra charge for this ($50 custom work and $15 tech visit fee most likely).

You can get a 2 hopper install, several ppl here have em. Also, even if you own the receiver you have to pay the monthly fee for the second hopper. It would be cheaper to have a retailer install the second hopper ( think it is 200 for the second one ).

The first 2 or 3 Joeys are free installs, so get 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys and wait a day or two and have the Joeys turned off and sent back to Dish - All for $200.

I have 2 hopper and no joeys. Have to go to a local retailer and pay $200. Be sure they include and install a HIC. Be sure they know something about the hopper system and have done at least a few dozen. Some important points during the install: critical that every single connector be changed and that wallplates have high frequency passthroughs. This more than anything will affect the long term reliability of the hopper. Of course the wire running in the walls must be high quality 3ghz rg6. If its not, run new wire. Hook the internet only to the HIC, not directly to the hopper. One internet connection to the HIC will supply both hoppers and Is the most trouble free method.

Realise that the hopper is very new and still undergoing software updates and bug fixes. You may have some issues. Some do and some don't. I don't and neither do my customers with the exception of small bugs. No random reboots, only a couple resets since install back in April. That said, I had my first hopper die in the first week. They can be sensitive. None of the horror stories I've read here have happened to the couple dozen hopper customers I've installed. I can only assume its because of the care I take installing these. I also download the boxes at the office first so I weed out most of the defectives before they get out into the field. Find a local retailer who cares and will take the time. The poor installers who work directly for Dish are so damn rushed trying to get all the work done they get loaded up with that they just can't do a good job. Although, there are retailers who can't hit their ass with both hands either! Good luck out there....

Last edited:
The first 2 or 3 Joeys are free installs, so get 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys and wait a day or two and have the Joeys turned off and sent back to Dish - All for $200.

Has anyone actually done this? I've read where they've sent back 1 Joey, but not both. I'm wondering if Dish would insist on keeping at least one Joey (under the circumstances) or require a Hopper return instead.

Wow!! Thanks for all your input. I printed this thread off so when I do this I have a lot of info on me.

I figured even if I own a Hopper I would have to pay the extra fee. It's the same now with Direct. I have also been reading up on the Hopper system and I totally understand it having some bugs. I have a HR24 and a HR23 with Direct and the HR23 is so damn slow. I hate it. Plus back in the day I had a HR20 when they first came out and it was full of bugs.

I'm going to call and just check on the two Hopper system with a retailer. I was thinking of owning since I could get one for $350 and I would already be paying $200. I will definitely get it before I have the install so they can do it. That's if I go the own route on one of them. Thanks again guys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)