Hopper and Sling Adapter

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lex61

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Broomfield, CO
I'm having pretty consistent problems with my Sling Adapter connected to a Hopper. Whether I'm trying to watch video from an iPad or a computer, I typically don't get any video. This is true even if I'm trying to watch from inside my house, again, on either a computer or an iPad. On the computer, I see the connection going through various stages: Activating, Connecting, Connected, Receiving Stream Data. Finally the screen with the controls (Play, Pause, ....) shows a small message that says "No Video Signal". If I reboot the Hopper I am able to connect and watch video, but obviously this isn't a viable solution for remote watching.

Yesterday I contacted Dish support. His comment was I needed to have UPNP enabled and ports 80, 443, and 5678 "open". Now I'm not sure what "open" means. Does that mean I should have port forwarding set for those 3 ports and the Hopper IP address?

Along those lines, is there a way to set a static IP address for the Hopper? When I rebooted the router this morning, the Hopper came back up with a new IP address, so that doesn't help me with port forwarding.

My setup is a Netgear WNDR3700 router->wired connection to a 1Gbps switch->wired connection to Hopper. I'm using the updated Dish app on my iPad and Firefox 12.0 on my computer. Measured connection speeds are ~9Mbps down and 6Mbps up.

thanks.

joe.

I'm having pretty consistent problems with my Sling Adapter connected to a Hopper. Whether I'm trying to watch video from an iPad or a computer, I typically don't get any video. This is true even if I'm trying to watch from inside my house, again, on either a computer or an iPad. On the computer, I see the connection going through various stages: Activating, Connecting, Connected, Receiving Stream Data. Finally the screen with the controls (Play, Pause, ....) shows a small message that says "No Video Signal". If I reboot the Hopper I am able to connect and watch video, but obviously this isn't a viable solution for remote watching.

Yesterday I contacted Dish support. His comment was I needed to have UPNP enabled and ports 80, 443, and 5678 "open". Now I'm not sure what "open" means. Does that mean I should have port forwarding set for those 3 ports and the Hopper IP address?

Along those lines, is there a way to set a static IP address for the Hopper? When I rebooted the router this morning, the Hopper came back up with a new IP address, so that doesn't help me with port forwarding.

My setup is a Netgear WNDR3700 router->wired connection to a 1Gbps switch->wired connection to Hopper. I'm using the updated Dish app on my iPad and Firefox 12.0 on my computer. Measured connection speeds are ~9Mbps down and 6Mbps up.

thanks.

joe.

Just thought I'd share an update to my earlier post. I made the changes referred to above and my sling adapter has been working reliably since. Specifically, here's what I've done.

1. Configured my router to assign the same IP address to my Hopper every time the link went down. (I did both Hoppers in fact, but only the one with the sling adapter needed it.) On my Netgear router, the process is called "Address Reservation" and is done through the "LAN Setup" page.
2. Enabled Port Forwarding on ports 80, 443, and 5678, and configured the port forwarding to use the IP address reserved in the first step.

I've since been able to access it reliably from a number of computers both on my home network and outside my home network, as well as my iPad and iPhone. UPnP is enabled, but that was already the case so I didn't need to change it. Hope this helps.

joe.

Just thought I'd share an update to my earlier post. I made the changes referred to above and my sling adapter has been working reliably since. Specifically, here's what I've done.

1. Configured my router to assign the same IP address to my Hopper every time the link went down. (I did both Hoppers in fact, but only the one with the sling adapter needed it.) On my Netgear router, the process is called "Address Reservation" and is done through the "LAN Setup" page.
2. Enabled Port Forwarding on ports 80, 443, and 5678, and configured the port forwarding to use the IP address reserved in the first step.

I've since been able to access it reliably from a number of computers both on my home network and outside my home network, as well as my iPad and iPhone. UPnP is enabled, but that was already the case so I didn't need to change it. Hope this helps.

joe.

Thanks for the great info! I did the same thing only I have a linksys router. I forwarded ports 80, 443 and 5678 to the reserved IP. Works perfectly.

Thanks for the great info! I did the same thing only I have a linksys router. I forwarded ports 80, 443 and 5678 to the reserved IP. Works perfectly.
I have a new Linksys router. My 2 week old sling has yet to work with my Hopper using my phone or laptop to view recorded shows. From what is said here, I'm assuming that I bring up my Cisco setup page and perhaps go to Applications and gaming tab? Can someone advise me or direct me to a page that can help me make whatever changes and additions I need to my router setup?

Are you getting any error messages when you attempt to sling? Are you able to sling on your network? Did you setup your network connection on the Hopper? How are you connected to your Hopper from the router? Are you getting an IP address? Are you able to download free movies from Blockbuster@Home? Please let me know. Thanks.

I have a new Linksys router. My 2 week old sling has yet to work with my Hopper using my phone or laptop to view recorded shows. From what is said here, I'm assuming that I bring up my Cisco setup page and perhaps go to Applications and gaming tab? Can someone advise me or direct me to a page that can help me make whatever changes and additions I need to my router setup?

I got a Sling Adapter last week for my new hopper and it has yet work. On my ipad when I go to live tv i get a message saying invalid finder id. On my pc it gives me error 6. The red light on the adapter has never come on. Call Dish, no help at all, was told the red light did not have to come for it to work. If it will not work on my ipad or my pc and no red light on then you would think that I have a bad sling adapter.

I apologize for the misinformation. What is the firmware for the Sling Adapter? Have you tried using a different USB port on the receiver? If the red light does not illuminate, the Sling Adapter is probably defective. The firmware on some receivers is updated over the Internet via broadband connection. I am assuming your receiver is connected. Please PM your account number so I can have another Sling Adapter sent out if you have tried all the steps I mentioned. Please let me know. Thanks.

I got a Sling Adapter last week for my new hopper and it has yet work. On my ipad when I go to live tv i get a message saying invalid finder id. On my pc it gives me error 6. The red light on the adapter has never come on. Call Dish, no help at all, was told the red light did not have to come for it to work. If it will not work on my ipad or my pc and no red light on then you would think that I have a bad sling adapter.

Thanks very much Ray for your reply.
Are you getting any error messages when you attempt to sling? Several times today I received "Your sling adapter encountered some difficulties (Error 46)"
Are you able to sling on your network? Yes, using my laptop wired or wireless to my router, for the first time ever this morning I can sling or watch a program I recorded and it looked beautiful and smooth.
Did you setup your network connection on the Hopper? Yes, previous attempts were using the wireless DISH adapter however, I just ran a 50' Ethernet connection to my router.
How are you connected to your Hopper from the router? Now Ethernet wired
Are you getting an IP address? Yes
Are you able to download free movies from Blockbuster@Home? Yes

My current download speed according to speedtest.net is 3.04Mbps & upload is .33Mbps. However, I have requested to have my speed increased to 6Mbps & .5Mbps which should happen on Wed.
So, I'm guessing future problems away from home (choppy etc) using my laptop or Android 4.0 phone using the DISH app, will likely be because of my slow connection from the phone or laptop to the internet?
Thanks, Dave

Still having the same problem as described by the OP. Ports are open, but do they need UDP and TCP or both? Local access to network like my Plex Media Server are working, but no internet. Sometimes when I connect remotely I get a Spanish language radio station instead of the channel I selected. Seems silly since my VIP722/sling worked fine without all the port forwarding, etc... The main problem is they have no documentation so they just ask a bunch of questions and tell me the problem is with my Cisco 5505, call Cisco. I can program my own firewall, but there is no documentation from Dish. I have over 20 devices on my network, and they all work perfectly, except dish hopper. Going to demand my money back/cancel contract. Took 3 hours off work twice already. Dish: Don't propose I place your devices and my DLNA server outside of my secure network again, that is not going to happen. Not ready for prime-time.

Interesting, most ISPs block ports 80 & 443.

Yep. My ISP doesn't (AT&T U-verse) but many of the cable co's do. For me, all the Sling issues were fixed (no video signal) with update S212. Didn't do any port forwarding either.

Sometimes I wonder if these internet providers who are also tv service providers mess with their equipment/network to make it frustrating for anyone using dish devices over their network.

I am also having much trouble with the sling. I am getting ready to give up and send it back for a refund. It wouldnt work on my other brand new hopper - which was locking up all the time. They replaced the receiver and the sling worked for a few days - still quirky but it worked. I didnt watch it use it for a few days and wanted to watch in my office on my laptop - says uable to sling - or sometimes just a black screen. Rebooting everything didnt fix it this time. I've even tried a powered hub - the only thing I havent tried is running a ethernet directly to the receiver - its not in an easy location to do that - but I will try that. The wireless dongle seems too hot to me. The sling box is a good temp and the red light is on - blinking when it tries to sling. Yes I have made sure there is an available tuner and it wont stream from recorded material on the dvr either. The network is working fine as far as I can tell - I had blockbuster for a bit - and no issues - but they have such useless movies I cancelled that part. I can access photos and music from my local computers - so maybe the wireless isnt at fault. So this is on a new receiver and sling doesnt work.. And I cant very well reboot everything when it stops working - the whole point of this is to be able to watch TV from a remote location. The reboot receiver in the account doesnt work either btw - so thats not a solution. I am regretting the day I decided to go with the hopper.

Also I have placed the hopper on the dmz and forwarded the three ports to it. I have shut off all the firewalls while testing as well. I have spent hours and hours on this - I am a broadcast engineer and I cant get this junk to work. If I were being paid for this I would have been paid over $600 for my time - what a waste of my efforts. Why not test this junk before shipping it out to thousands of people?

help

RAY
i have a hopper and sling adapter hooked to my netgear 23 wndr 3400v2 it hook to motorola sb 4220 i can use it in the house but can not get to do any thing at work or on my phone pleaes help

I have a Hopper and sling adapter. Network is a Cisco Linksys E3000 bridged from a Ubee DDW3611. I have Road Runner Extreme running at home. I have excellent service with the sling/hopper set up on my home wifi network. But, outside of the home on other wifi networks and on cellular service, I keep getting errors such as invalid finderID on my iPhone and on my android phone it says the receiver must be connected to the internet. My receiver is connected to the internet. I contacted Dish Support over the internet last night. They told me to put my receiver in DMZ mode on my router. I did this and I'm still having the same issues. Any other suggestions? I see the sling adapter being useless if I can't use if outside of my home. I thought is was called TV Everywhere.

I'm having the same problem. The installer said it would take 24 hrs. I waited 48 and still not registered. Support said wait 72. Then they said wait a week. "Support" wasn't able to grasp that there is a difference between INSIDE my network and outside. I have no reason for a slingbox INSIDE my network, but what's aggravating is they have me make changes, then I have to wait until I'm on somebody else's network to test it. She also told me I had to open ports 80, 443, 5678 AND put it in the DMZ. I tried to explain there are no ports in the DMZ, it's an either or but she was just guessing to get me off the phone.

I have a Netgear WNDR4500. Hopper has a reserved IP address that is in the DMZ and I've also opened the above ports. Once it's working I'll take it out of the DMZ, I HOPE. I have 15 med download and 1 meg upload speed. I can do everything inside my network, but from outside it indicates an error 6, not properly registered to the system or something like that. I CAN view my DVR and set up recordings from outside, I just can't view live TV which was sort of the point.

Otherwise I'm thrilled with my Dish, but this and the horrible, HORRIBLE support is ruining it. I've got half dozen friends just waiting to buy Dish based on how this goes for me. It is incomprehensible to me that Dish does not include router configuration in their instructions. It is insane that we have to go to third party sites for this information. Come on guys. All the work you do on a SLICK product and you miss that!

For anyone that may have been receiving the "Invalid Finder ID" message outside of their home network, this should now be resolved. Thank you for your patience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)