Hopper Hard Disk wiped, timers saved

mitchflorida

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Out of the blue, all of my saved recordings were wiped out, but the timers were saved. Apparently not a hardware error but some software problem.

"Your timers have been saved but any recordings have been lost. Press okay to reformat your hard disk."

Seems to work okay, minus my recordings. Anyone have this problem recently?

Have you re-booted (pull plug) the Hopper? They've been known to reappear sometimes.

First thing I did, was reboot. The live channels worked fine, my recordings wouldn't play so had to format the disk again per the error message. Would recommend you transfer your important stuff to external disk.

Out of the blue, all of my saved recordings were wiped out, but the timers were saved. Apparently not a hardware error but some software problem.

"Your timers have been saved but any recordings have been lost. Press okay to reformat your hard disk."

mitchflorida,

Did you get any error messages when this happened? Have you tried to record anything else? If so, did it remove it as well? If you have PTAT enabled, did it remove those recordings as well?

Thanks

mitchflorida,

Did you get any error messages when this happened? Have you tried to record anything else? If so, did it remove it as well? If you have PTAT enabled, did it remove those recordings as well?

Thanks

The only warning I have gotten is that the receiver re-booted on its own a couple of times in the last month. It seems to work now, minus all of my recordings. Probably a flaky hard disk that is now working. May have to exchange it if it keeps rebooting on its own.

I may wait until the hard disk completely dies, as opposed to rebooting once a week. Presumably Dish would ship me a new receiver on request at no cost.

mitchflorida,

I know this can be upsetting and please continue to monitor the situation and if the issue continues please PM me w/ the phone and 4 digit PIN numbers to better help you.

Thanks

Situation like this is why I didn't get a SJ. On two of my HWSs I have identical timers set up.

Reactions: JSheridan
Thanks for the tip. Now my Hopper is starting to reboot daily, so I called Dish and they are sending me a replacement. Since I don't have any of my videos anymore, it is no big deal for me to swap it out.

Last week I set a timer to record an On Demand movie. The next day I noticed the movie had recorded to my movies folder instead of the usual Rentals folder. I had 30 or so recordings in the movies folder and they were all gone except for the On Demand movie. I started to panic but then checked the deleted shows folder and they were all in there. They all restored no problem but I still don't understand how this happened.

I'm confused by a few things. You say you set a timer for vod. Do you mean you downloaded a movie? Also vods will always go into rentals. Even the free ones. And what do you mean "my movies" folder? Is this a folder you created yourself?

I'm confused by a few things. You say you set a timer for vod. Do you mean you downloaded a movie? Also vods will always go into rentals. Even the free ones. And what do you mean "my movies" folder? Is this a folder you created yourself?
I rented a movie from Dish Cinema channel 522 All Day. It went into the Movie folder that is automatically generated by the HWS. I did not create the folder. I know it's supposed to go into the Rentals folder and they have in the past and ever since then but that one time it didn't. It went to the Movies folder and all other movies I had recorded in there went to the trash but were recoverable.

PPV will go into the "My Recordings" folder. Channel 522, is a PPV. VOD goes into the rental folder. Channel 501. And I'm still confused by the "my movies" folder that you are talking about. Where do you see that on the hopper?

Push the DVR button and list by genre. You don't see this on yours? I did not create any of these folders. They are generated automatically according to what type of program is being recorded. The PPV went into the Movies folder and trashed everything else that was in there.

movies_zpsdbbaa892.jpg

You have your DVR listings sorted by GENRE. That's why it's showing up. Most people probably do not (most use the default).

That's what it was, I have mine using the default. I don't think I have ever brought up the "sort by genre".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)