Hopper magazine

kpip99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
Anybody here subscribe to the hopper magazine ? Any good ? Was thinking about trying it out.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It's basically the Dish guide magazine but it has pages that focus only on the Hopper. I myself wouldn't spend my money on it but some people like to be able to schedule out their recordings for the whole month.

How can a magazine let you program a receiver out for more than the 8 days that the receiver guide has, unless you manually program it for time and date, which is a pain in the a**. Plus even the receiver's 8 day guide lists some movies as just "movie" and not the title for the last few days of the 8 listed.

Well, I've subscribed for years. It is NOT for everyone, but it does have a few benefits. For one, it has ALL the movies to air on all the Premiums (and other channels, as well, I think) in an index to easily see when it will air or when it will subsequently air for the entire month--BUT now I use the Search and Record function more often.

The one reason I still subscribe to it (and I am so tempted to save the $4 a month) is that is has sections for NEW or coming programming that I otherwise would NEVER know about because I skip commercials and NEVER watch "Entertainment News" shows. I have to say, I would have cried real tears (hyperbole :)) if I had missed some of the shows that were featured and listed in the magazine's features sections, and that is for ALL programming from locals to pay channels and premiums and shows on channels I NEVER watch, but the quick article or list let me know of a show I really wanted to see on that channel I never watch. The magazines guide and separate section of nearly all programming by genre is far more useful to those who have NON-DVR boxes because the EPG on those boxes is only 48 hours out. With the power of the DVR's 9 day guide and its feature of automatically recording a searched title or actor, the Hopper Magazine becomes almost useless in that respect. FWIW, when we got our first DVR (DishPlayer 501) way back when, we immediately cancelled our TV Guide subscription, which was REALLY expensive. The DVR seems to have KILLED TV Guide magazine as a resource for looking up what shows are on each day. It still survives mostly as promoting programming, but its daily listing isn't what it was.

So I would summarize as more useful for non-DVR households or boxes, and of little use to DVR household. Aside from that, I'd have to say there isn't much value to the Hopper Magazine. However, you can subscribe to it and if after a while you find it is NOT what you can use, you can easily cancel your subscription.

I miss taking them home from the office every month. It had some interesting info in it. I wouldn't pay $4.25 for it, but as a free tool, was one if the coolest things they gave us.

How can a magazine let you program a receiver out for more than the 8 days that the receiver guide has, unless you manually program it for time and date, which is a pain in the a**. Plus even the receiver's 8 day guide lists some movies as just "movie" and not the title for the last few days of the 8 listed.

I've just heard from people that do use it. They say they like to plan out what they are going to watch and record for the month. I know you can't set the recordings right away but they must right up their own schedule or something. I'm not sure, just passing along information I've read on here before.

We get it here at work and I glance through it sometimes. I mostly just like doing the crossword and sudoku in the back.

Reactions: ChadT41
I've just heard from people that do use it. They say they like to plan out what they are going to watch and record for the month. I know you can't set the recordings right away but they must right up their own schedule or something. I'm not sure, just passing along information I've read on here before.

We get it here at work and I glance through it sometimes. I mostly just like doing the crossword and sudoku in the back.

Well, yes, I too, use it in that way, but because I have a DVR, I manually enter the show title in the SEARCH (that title won't show up because it is not yet in the EPG), and then I select the Search and Record function. I did this about a month ago for the P&T Fool Us show and for Viscous and for another one-time special I can't remember the name of, and it worked perfectly. I do this every month for at least a few new shows that are featured in the Hopper Magazine.

Before we got a DVR, the magazine really was critical to our planning viewing or setting up a recording for the VCR or DVD recorder (didn't have a DVR, yet) because the EPG was only for 48 hours. Again, while it does have some useful features, for us, the only reason I still subscribe it to be tipped off about new shows that I would otherwise never know about.

I still recommend for those who are interested to subscribe, and then cancel if it doesn't meet their needs.

My price just dropped to $3.99 per month recently.
(Was 4.25$). For a buck a week it's a good deal.
Like others , if it wasn't for the magazine I would miss a lot on the premiums.
( i sub to starz on demand/ bb@home, HBO, & showtime for instance)

Last edited:
Where would I go to subscribe to it ? I didn't see anything about it on dish's site but may have missed it

Found it on dish's site. Click on subscribe then it takes me to the login screen so I log in and it doesn't take me to the page to subscribe and it's nowhere to be found when logged in. I'm going in circles here.

IIRC ?

If I Recall Correctly

Log into your Dish account. Go to "My Programming" and then click on the "A LA CARTE" tab. You will see the selection for Hopper Magazine at the bottom.

My first issue will be here soon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)