Hopper news updates

following up my own post it is within the realm of possibility that h/j playback software is the same stack and that hopper has an additional server portion as a separate software stack.

I'm not saying this is how it's done, I'm offering it as a possible implementation.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

I called dish lastnight. They said dish would not sell hoppers until 4-1...but all local retailers will start selling them 3-15.

Has anyone else heard this? It's gnawing at me. I was really counting on being able to order my Hopper Thursday.

I called dish lastnight. They said dish would not sell hoppers until 4-1...but all local retailers will start selling them 3-15. How does that make sense? I called my local retailer lastnight at 10pm...(they answered..lol) Said I was the first in bloomington indiana...to call his store..with purchase questions bout hopper. Again...he said to call back wed,and well get it going
Calling Dish before March 15th is pointless. They've given any number of answers to customers already that are mostly wrong.

It doesn't even show up on their computer screens until March 15th.

that would be the joey. the data is streamed just like with netflix, Hulu, bb, Amazon etc.

the hopper where the content resides is the file server via any number of potential protocols.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

I would suspect that that Hopper is acting as a file server not a file streamer. The joeys ask for blocks of the program file as they need them based on trick plays and such. The joeys handle all the graphic overlays and such. This would make it far more responsive and more DVR like. If the Hopper streamed it would end up being like the ill fated sling system, not responsive. I see the Joeys as complete DVPs (Digital Video Players), doing everything we expect a DVR to do but record.

I would suspect that that Hopper is acting as a file server not a file streamer. The joeys ask for blocks of the program file as they need them based on trick plays and such. The joeys handle all the graphic overlays and such. This would make it far more responsive and more DVR like. If the Hopper streamed it would end up being like the ill fated sling system, not responsive. I see the Joeys as complete DVPs (Digital Video Players), doing everything we expect a DVR to do but record.
...or tune. :)

I thought I said.....The rep at Dish told me, Dish 1800 333-dish, would sell the hoppers on 4-1. The Rep, said I could get the hopper from a local retailer at the promotional price on 3/15. He then gave me local retailers numbers. So its the same deals, via the Local retaiers....free hopper, with so many joeys....second hopper is $199. Thats what the local retailer told me.

A local retailer, can be 50+ miles away, still come out and install it with the promotional deal.

What I didnt understand though, is why dish 800333dish is not gonna sell the hopper via there system until 4-1. But local retailers will sell them on 3-15....weird. Sorry if I said it wrong, I didnt think I did though. I did not backup and read it again...lol

Well I did just read it again, and a reply bout why did I call the local retailer at 10pm. Im sure it was his business phone that I called. A sale is a Sale, and its on him to answer or not answer. He seemed very interested in promoting the unit...so it did not seem like a big deal. He even told me dish.com, or by calling the 800 dish number wouldnt be selling the units until 4-1, something bout a softsale for local retailers first on 3-15. So....call dish, and get your local retailers number. That seems to be the thing to do.....

Cool, whats a five star customer, vs a 1-4 star customer??

If you have to ask .... :) I don't think anyone knows the exact algorithm they use for their sub ratings, but one guesses longer term subs that have more programming (larger bills), upgrade to new equipment, and pay on time are likely at the top of the star category. At the lower end one suspects are shorter term subs, subs with poorer credit, and subs who have difficulty paying their bills on time. Everyone else is somewhere in between, I guess.

Cool, whats a five star customer, vs a 1-4 star customer??

It's a question that gets asked a lot and no one will ever know. Customers are not actually suppose to know of how they qualify. Just use your best judgement to figure if you are a great, good or bad customer.

I emailed one of our larger installers this morning, they said they have the Hopper equipment in stock, just call or stop by. So why am I wasting time by posting this?

I finally got my Hopper activated and have full functionality. First thing I noticed when trying to find new things was how you can look at what the 3 tuners are watching. I only have 1 Hopper and 1 Joey in our showroom. When looking at the tuners being watched it showed that all 3 tuners are being used. I determined that it always has a tuner in use for PIP. Once I turned the Hopper off, went to the Joey and looked at the available tuners it showed that 2 were available. When I turned the Hopper back on it used up both tuners again. I just found that interesting.

I am going to their office tomorrow, I'd rather not ask more detail on the phone. I rarely trust phone calls for the best info. I will let you know.
He did say 'all' equipment in stock in the email.

I just called Dish and customer service had no knowledge of the upgrade, and I think he stated to call back again sometime. Hard to tell with the heavy accent. Is there any state side customer service for Dish?

How do I find a retailer in Fort Wayne, IN? I tried yellow pages and inernet seach and all hits have the Dish phone number.

typically if a retailer is listed on the dish site, are they "vetted" by Dish. Or can anyone get Dish to add them as a retailer? I called a local place to from the site, and they have the hooper/Joey (or access to it) but can not put an order in till Thursday morning. I was going to use Dish directly but since I have seen some rumors here that Dish isn't going to have installs till april I was thinking taking a chance with a local person. Which I would rather do…

My wife is so ticked at me at the moment since I canceled DirecTV - but due to line of sight issues D* scracthed my ETF so I figured don't kick a gift horse in the mouth :)

I finally got my Hopper activated and have full functionality. First thing I noticed when trying to find new things was how you can look at what the 3 tuners are watching. I only have 1 Hopper and 1 Joey in our showroom. When looking at the tuners being watched it showed that all 3 tuners are being used. I determined that it always has a tuner in use for PIP. Once I turned the Hopper off, went to the Joey and looked at the available tuners it showed that 2 were available. When I turned the Hopper back on it used up both tuners again. I just found that interesting.

If hopper and joey are sharing a tuner, is trick play independent between the two?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)