Hopper only?

Micallen

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2014
So how would my system work if I only had the Hopper and no Joey's? Like previous DVR's? Is there an "out" for a second tuner that would feed a line with another TV? If so, is there a second remote?

OR, do you HAVE to have a Joey for each extra TV now?

A Joey would be need at each additional TV with the Hopper system. There is no cable modulation on the Hopper, or cable outlets to go to a TV because the system is an HD system.

A Joey would be need at each additional TV with the Hopper system. There is no cable modulation on the Hopper, or cable outlets to go to a TV because the system is an HD system.
How do they communicate? WiFi?

Sent from my CyanogenMod Nook HD using Tapatalk Pro

Wired Joeys communicate with the Hopper over the coax cable, but it is a data only connection, you can't just plug the coax into the TV, it has to be a Joey. There are wireless Joeys that communicate over WiFi, but you have to purchase a dedicated access point for the Hopper ($50 I think).

Last edited:
Reactions: Micallen
Thanks for the answers guys. Technology changes fast !

Sent from my CyanogenMod Nook HD using Tapatalk Pro

The Hopper has component and HDMI outputs that are active at the same time. If you didn't need to have the ability to watch something different on the 2nd TV, you could run the appropriate cable to that set.

The Hopper has component and HDMI outputs that are active at the same time. If you didn't need to have the ability to watch something different on the 2nd TV, you could run the appropriate cable to that set.

Correct, and it also has Composite connections (RCA - yellow,red and white) which are also active at the same time and a cheap modulator will allow you to mirror the programming thru an existing coax line to a normal TV channel like 3/4 which ever its set to. I'd like to see some software at some point allow you to assign an output to a certain tuner. Lets say I could let Tuner1 at the HDMI port then Tuner2 at the Component and Tuner3 out of the Composite which would really allow some nice mirroring of the Hopper without the extra costs. Now would Dish do this.. prob not cause they may lose money and we couldn't have that or have the customers save more.

I'm thinking about the last generation DVR (722?) where the cable out was for tuner #2. At my house that fed all other TV's.

I'm thinking about the last generation DVR (722?) where the cable out was for tuner #2. At my house that fed all other TV's.

TV2= is standard where TV1 if you used HDMI or Component was HD. The Hopper and Joey systems are all HD by design.

You may not be paying more depends on the setup.

I use the composite cables thru an RF modulator connected by RG6 cable to a 22" HDTV and a 32" HDTV. The picture is pretty good on that size set. A larger set might not get as good a picture. But, you can only watch the same channel as you are watching on the Hopper, but that meets my needs. Switch back to the 722K, if you need a 2nd tv output or hook up the component cable all the way to the 2nd TV with 2 audio cables also.

In my system is three RF modulators from three HWSs, combined by coax into a three way splitter. Combined signal then goes thru an amplifier into a 12 port home distribution splitter to all my home TVs including the three HWSs’ TVs with the exception of my kid’s TV. TVs have a choice of which Hopper to view by changing channels to the Hopper you want to watch. Presently the three Hoppers with modulators use channel 20, 25, and 30. This setup accomplishes two things for all my TVs with the exception of my kid's room TV. First, since the Hoppers do not have sync capabilities for recorded programs, any TV can sync with a Hopper to view a recorded program at the same time with Hopper of choice. Second, all TVs are not stuck with having to view only one Hopper. All the TVs that that are viewing the modulated signal the picture quality is pretty good SD quality.

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: jerryez

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts