Hopper Q&A and Install Tips

My installer got the hoppers up and activated but then powered up both Joeys. Oops, 4 more hours of tries by this tech, 1 more tech visit and 2 new Joeys later and I'm now OK except both Joeys are linked to the same Hopper. As a result of just powering up both Joeys they both got stuck in a state where they immediately tried to link to a Hopper and no amount of magic reset sequences suggested in this forum or from Dish would work. If I ever see a 1303 message again I'm gonna scream.

Or, you can do like I told my disappointed customer to do today....... hook your antenna directly to the TV and change inputs to watch your OTA channels. That's how we did things during the Cold War, and boy was it dependable!

Yeah, I could do that but I was hoping that by hooking the external antenna to the Hopper I could see these HD locals on the other TV's. It's beginning to look like this ain't gonna happen.

My installer got the hoppers up and activated but then powered up both Joeys. Oops, 4 more hours of tries by this tech, 1 more tech visit and 2 new Joeys later and I'm now OK except both Joeys are linked to the same Hopper. As a result of just powering up both Joeys they both got stuck in a state where they immediately tried to link to a Hopper and no amount of magic reset sequences suggested in this forum or from Dish would work. If I ever see a 1303 message again I'm gonna scream.

Just press the blue button. Select Whole Home DVR and choose which Hopper you want to link to.

Yeah, I could do that but I was hoping that by hooking the external antenna to the Hopper I could see these HD locals on the other TV's. It's beginning to look like this ain't gonna happen.
Yep. Plus, once you DVR, you can't go back. ;)

Installers were here for 3 hours trying to link Joey's to Hopper. They hooked up the Joey's too soon and didn't want to believe that the Joey's would never see the hopper. I showed them the install tips and then I sent their boss a hyper link to satellite guys so they could learn from the best.

I know not to hook up multiple Joeys at the same time, but in a 2 Hopper setup, can both Hoppers be plugged in at the same time to receive their initial software dump, or do they have to be done 1 at a time?

They can be done at the same time but wait a few minutes be for starting the second one. As soon as the first one completes, immediately pair the remote. If they both get done at the same time, you could assign the same remote to both Hoppers.

Since the third day, I've activated my Joeys at about the same time. Only difference is the time it takes me to walk from spot to spot. I've had NO issues. My only problem is the tuners downloading the 3rd guide.

If you have problems with a Hopper booting up the first time. Just turn it off, but leave it plugged and connected the the coax. In about 45 minutes it may reboot back alive. That is what happened today when I did my 2-Hoppers and 4-Joeys install.

I am still thinking about getting Hopper but would like to know if you all think the following will work. Currently, I have a 612 and a 722k. I use a splitter on the SD ouput on the 722k to feed 3 locations that I rarely watch TV in (guest bedroom, detached garage, and our attached garage). I don't want to lose this if I upgrade to Hopper so I was thinking of placing a Joey in my attic where the splitter currently is and then run that to an RF modulator and then split from there to my 3 different locations. My questions are:

1) Will this work and do you think the picture quality will be any worse than it is now?
2) How is the range with remotes paired to a Joey as the guest bedroom would be 35' from the Joey (and in an attic).
3) Do you think the heat of being in my attic will create a long term problem with the Joey working?
4) Can I pair 3 remotes to one Joey or am I going to have to carry a remote around to use in each of the rooms?

Thanks for your input!

1) Yes you can use an RF modulator an split to several locations how ever you may need an amplifier to get a good signal to all locations.

2) Not sure of remote range on the Joeys.

3) Yes the heat will be a problem. You will need to use a place in the house where it will be cooler.

4) Yes you can pair more than one remote to the Joey.

Is it possible to connect an external hard drive (like a flash drive) to the Hopper and play video files transferred from my PC?

I know you can connect an External Hard Drive to use with DVR recordings, but any way to play my own media?

Or is DLNA streaming from another computer the only way?

Last edited:
Just received the HIC but it didn't include a MOCA tap. where do I get one?
for a self install? someone like solidsignal DISH Network ES190941 Tap For Hopper/Joey (ES190941) from Solid Signal

If it was a leased system with the install done by dish, the HIC should have been provided during the install along with all installation for free (as long as you needed it to connect to the internet). In that case, you should have called back your installer and have them take care of it since it should have been done the first time they came.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)