Hopper question (currently do not have one)

iasnellman

Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Iowa
Hello, I am new here and while I have done some searching, I apologize if this has been answered.

I currently have a VIP 622 and 625 receivers. I am looking at upgrading my one TV to a HDTV and adding a 3rd HDTV in my bedroom. I have been looking at the Hopper and Joey setup but I am wondering about watching TV issues.

We would have a TV in the living room, bedroom and basement. My wife DVRs a lot of shows not on network as well as my children. If I am understanding what I have been reading with the Hopper system, this will cause conflicts if we want to watch live TV while recording other channels?

If this is the case, I am probably better off getting another receiver for the bedroom and upgrading my standard def receiver to a HD rather than getting the hopper?

I hope this makes sense and thank you for your help

how many tuners do you need at one time for recording and live viewing?

3 tuners with one hopper.... so get 1H/2J
6 tuners with two hoppers... so get 2H/1J

sounds like PTAT isn't really useful for your household, so i won't even include that.

It looks like you have four outputs going to three tv's so you are probably used to having a free tuner so the Hopper would take one away from you. My take would be removing the 625 and adding two 612s, this would give you 3 HD tv outputs and six tuners, or you can try for 2 Hoppers with 1 Joey and give you the same thing. Pricing on adding the 2 612's would be Dvr $6 and the 2 612 @ $10 each so additional fees would be $26 (I believe you are currently paying $23). The 2H/1J would be Dvr $10 and $7 for 2nd Hopper and $7 for Joey for these fees would be $24 so all would be close. Not sure what Dish may charge you as an upgrade fee in either case, but a PM to a DIRT member may be your next move.

Go with 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey. That second Hopper will cost you some change up front ($100 to 200) but it will be more than worth it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts