Hopper question's?

Dormant

Original poster
May 4, 2008
Crossville, TN
I have a couple questions if any of you could enlighten me on, I have 2 hoppers and 4 joeys, in which two bedrooms (joeys) are linked to by Great Room hopper and two other rooms (joeys) are connected to the other hopper in my master bedroom. So just focusing on the Great Room hopper with two joeys linked on it, during primetime as it records those pt programs, should each location (3 of them) still be able to watch indvidual channels as it tapes primetime?

My next question is around my other hopper, it has on a couple occasions on power up had to go thru the whole spill of searching for satellites till it finally comes up on live tv. Is this normal or potentially something wrong with the unit?

Third and last question revolves around the apps and initially the literature I read and seen on the hopper showed a facebook app and pandora app in which I do not have? Is the apps that we have on our hopper's at the discretion of dish only and we have no way to say install particular apps we want or is there going to be a way to pick and choose apps we want? (kinda like a appstore per say)

Thanks....

1. No, as PTAT takes up one tuner which leaves 2 available, you could watch 2 other channels or a DVR'd program as PTAT records. When 2 Hopper integration is enabled you will be able to watch 5 other channels when PTAT is enabled.
2. It might be a software bug, but I would PM a DIRT member just to be sure.
3. The Pandora and Facebook apps will be rolled out shortly (they had to be "certified" according to Dish). As of now the apps are at the discretion of Dish. I haven't seen anything about an App Store yet.

I just ordered 2 hoppers and 3 joeys myself. They will be installed Sunday. For those of you with 2 hoppers are you doing PTAT on both of them? Is that even possible?

Many of the shows we watch are on the big four networks and since there is no hopper integration yet we want those network shows available to every tv. I hope they actually get them integrated by the end of the summer or so because until they do it's not really a whole home DVR for us.

1. No, as PTAT takes up one tuner which leaves 2 available, you could watch 2 other channels or a DVR'd program as PTAT records. When 2 Hopper integration is enabled you will be able to watch 5 other channels when PTAT is enabled.

He can do that now. The Joey can see either Hopper at the push of a button just not both at the same time yet. So in his instance a Joey has five tuners to use if the PTAT is recording on one Hopper.

"Originally Posted by Scherrman Go to one of the joeys, press the blue shortcut button on the remote, click on the whole home tile, then select the hopper you want to link to."

3. The Pandora and Facebook apps will be rolled out shortly (they had to be "certified" according to Dish). As of now the apps are at the discretion of Dish. I haven't seen anything about an App Store yet.

The certification process is something services like Facebook and Pandora have to make sure apps that access their APIs work properly and don't overtax their system in any way. Anyone who makes a third party app had to do some kind of certification or they are in violation of their terms of service. Boxee for example also has to have their premium apps certified to use things like Hulu and Netflix which is why those services aren't available on the down dead PC client.

When I spoke with the lead software engineer at CES, I asked him about what kind of apps they were thinking about making and if they would open it up to third-party developers. He said that a developer could get in contact with dish if they wanted to and that they are based on HTML5.

He can do that now. The Joey can see either Hopper at the push of a button just not both at the same time yet. So in his instance a Joey has five tuners to use if the PTAT is recording on one Hopper.

I had originally planned for the installer to put 1 hopper at our living room tv and 1 in my mancave because these are the two biggest and best tvs and also the most used. I was going to put a joey in each of the 3 bedrooms.

This makes me think I might be better off putting the 2 hoppers in bedrooms and putting joeys at the 2 main TVs so they can see all the recordings on both hoppers. Is there any disadvantage to putting Joeys at the best and most used TVs instead of Hoppers? Are the joeys able to output 3D and DD 5.1?

Only thing I can immediately think of is the Hoppper can do PIP, the Joey can not. But your idea to me is good. Joey can see all tuners, you may want that at the best, most watched TVs. I believe the Hopper at this time can not see the other Hopper, and not even sure it will when they are integrated. (not saying they won't, just have not seen specifically they will) Yes the Hopper passes on the DD audio to the Joey. I do not know about 3D. As a guess, yes because the Joey is not a tuner, it receives, the signal and simply passes it to the TV, though with pause etc.. controls.

Last edited:
Tampa8 said:

"Originally Posted by Scherrman http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-zone/279956-move-joeys-other-hoppee.html#post2809336 Go to one of the joeys, press the blue shortcut button on the remote, click on the whole home tile, then select the hopper you want to link to."

Thank you for the info! This will come in handy

Only thing I can immediately think of is the Hoppper can do PIP, the Joey can not. But your idea to me is good. Joey can see all tuners, you may want that at the best, most watched TVs. I believe the Hopper at this time can not see the other Hopper, and not even sure it will when they are integrated. (not saying they won't, just have not seen specifically they will) Yes the Hopper passes on the DD audio to the Joey. I do not know about 3D. As a guess, yes because the Joey is not a tuner, it receives, the signal and simply passes it to the TV, though with pause etc.. controls.

Ok cool. PIP is not something we will ever use so I think I will ask the installer to put joeys at the main tvs. I would rather have all recordings available to the main tvs all the time than PIP any day. This will keep me from having to run PTAT on both Hoppers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Hoppers considered "Power Users." Meaning that if there is a recording in progress, the Joey can't override the recording to free up a Tuner? I'd be ticked if I hooked my Joey up in the Family Room and didn't have a free tuner because one of the kids were recording something that I couldn't override.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)