Hopper S229 / S230 Feedback!

So did anyone notice the "Paired Devices" menu under Diagnostics? I'm not referring to Bluetooth. So is Dish going to give us some kind of second screen experience?

Dish needs to get the "single" screen experience to run smooth before trying to add on another screen experience...:D
Ghpr13:)

I really like the Gui so far. Its super fast AND looks good, something Directv hasnt been able to do yet. Been a long time since I used a 722, so these menus are kicking my butt lol.

I'm having an intermittent problem, after pausing live TV or recording, the audio sometime takes 3-4 seconds to resume. Never had that on 222. It happens both on a TV connected direct through HDMI from the Hopper as well as on the main TV which routes HDMI through AV receiver. Doesn't do it all the time so it's hard to reproduce.

That happened to me on 222 and prior. And still :)

Weird, I never had it prior to 230. Call me lucky!

I fired the Hopper up this AM to make sure the OTA channels were still working and they were, just NBC was missing from my guide. I went into the favorites and both the satellite and OTA NBC were checked. So i went back into the guide and the OTA version was still missing. I then went back to edit my favorites and removed both NBC's, saved, then re-checked them. They are showing fine in the guide now.

I had to do the same yesterday with AMC, but it would not show as a tile to check when I was editing my favorites. It took me tuning to the channel manually, then editing List 1, and the tile appeared.

I'll also concur that it is annoying after the nightly update, when the favorites list defaults. WAF=Low. I really do like how the menus look and how fast they are. The Series Timer screen has everything you need to do to setup the timer how you want it, even which folder for it to go to.

Push menu twice and check your Receiver CA number. They do phased rollouts bt I'd. I bet the one that does not have it yet has a higher number.

They are both similiar numbers. The reason the first hopper got the new software is one of the original hoppers I got on Nov 9th had a bad hard drive. It got replaced the next Monday which is when the new software was being released. New install got the new software.

I'm not upset by the other hopper not having the new software. I was just curious if software upgrades cause the hoppers and the Joeys to not be able to link until both are on their newest versions? Or if it is happnening because this software upgrade changed so much.

Yeah it's not unusual for Joeys/Hoppers with mismatched versions to not work right. Happened to me once too.

Jason Whiddon said:
Is there a way to turn off the stupid popup every couple of hours, wanting to turn the thing off?

That depends. Are you talking about the inactivity timer or the nightly updates at around 1-1:30am? If it's the inactivity timer, press YELLOW - 9 - 7. For some reason, unlike most (if not all) of Dish's recent receivers, Hopper doesn't allow you to change the time that it checks for updates. Also, unlike the other receivers, it likes to do it at 1-1:30am rather than the default of 3am for most other receivers.

It will ask you to update, give you a choice, however if you choose NO, it will ask again every hour until you do. Also, when it asks, if you don't respond within a minute, it will automatically reboot. So say you are getting a snack while it pops up, tough luck. Even worse is when you have EHD(s) connected it can take 45+ minutes to reboot while it checks their file system.

Dish really needs to fix that, by at least letting us choose when to update. Not sure what the holdup is.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

Ive got an odd favorites bug.

Yesterday morning - Fired up the Hopper to make sure the OTA channels were working (Im going out of town and been paranoid about them blanking out since I installed it), and they were. I noticed in my List 1 Favs that my NBC HD sat local was there, but the NBC HD OTA channel was missing. After going into edit Favs and removing, saving, adding, saving, it came back just fine.

This morning - Fired the Hopper up and everything was there except the CBS HD sat local. CBS HD OTA local was in list 1 as it should be. I went into edit List 1, and no amount of unchecking, checking and saving, will make the local CBS Mpeg4 channel show in my List 1 guide (even did a RBR). In any other List its there fine. Im not sure whats going on with the nightly update, but its making my List 1 favs take a dump.

1 Hopper not on the S230????

I have a 2Hopper 2Joey setup! 1 Hopper and both Joeys are on the new software.... However 1 Hopper is still on S222.... The Joey linked to that cant see live tv! Is there a way to get the new software pushed and also why did 3 of my boxes get updated and not the one Hopper!

I have a 2Hopper 2Joey setup! 1 Hopper and both Joeys are on the new software.... However 1 Hopper is still on S222.... The Joey linked to that cant see live tv! Is there a way to get the new software pushed and also why did 3 of my boxes get updated and not the one Hopper!

I'm in a similiar situation only I have 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys. 1 Hopper and all 3 Joeys got the new software. So we have 4 people trying to share 1 Hopper.
My understanding is the upgrades happen in stages based on the receiver number and there is no way to force an update.

They really should make adjustments to that process for people who more than one on the same account, Especially if it keeps them from working together.

I hear ya.... Called Dish and they said make sure the Hopper is in stand by mode over night! It has been for 2 nights now and nothing! The main reason i paid for a 2nd Hopper was to avoid all the tuners on 1 Hopper being used! Now I have that issue.

Last edited:
[absurd][sarcasm][hyperbole]

I'm getting tired of the complaining about having multiple Hoppers with different software versions and the resulting "broken" system. You should know after reading this forum that sometimes DISH releases software in stages and this has resulted in unintended consequences. You need to just sit and wait quietly for the fixed S/W to be spooled to you.

[/hyperbole][/sarcasm][/absurd]

Last edited:
I saw the FFW'd issue a few times yesterday, when i played back a game I recorded. If I was using x15, then hit play to stop it, it seemed to do odd things. But I think hitting the skip back button caused it to react better.

[sarcasm][hyperbole]

I'm getting tired of the complaining about having multiple Hoppers with different software versions and the resulting "broken" system. You should know after reading this forum that sometimes DISH releases software in stages and this has resulted in unintended consequences. You need to just sit and wait quietly for the fixed S/W to be spooled to you.

[/hyperbole][/sarcasm]

That is fine BUT.... I should get what I pay for right?????? I wouldnt buy a 3d tv to only be 3d on Sundays..... I pay for something I should get it!!!!! So pay your bill and Sit and WAIT.....lol dont think so bud!!!!!!!!

That is fine BUT.... I should get what I pay for right?????? I wouldnt buy a 3d tv to only be 3d on Sundays..... I pay for something I should get it!!!!! So pay your bill and Sit and WAIT.....lol dont think so bud!!!!!!!!

Maybe I should have added one of these :wacko: or some other :crazy: smiley to make my intended point clear? The sentiment is the opposite of what you took it as. Unless you doing a double reverse [sarcasm]?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)