Hopper S439 Update

sparc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
Looks like I got a new S439 update overnight for a regular hopper. Not sure if anything changed, but didn't see any discussion on it.

Only issue i've noticed is that both Hopper and Joey wouldn't link correctly. Hopper started looping on reboot about 10 times after the update. I finally manually rebooted the Hopper/Joey and it seems to be stable and linking again.

Last edited:
I just noticed this on both Hoppers along with S375 for the Joeys. One thing I see is that I can now select all folders to transfer to the EHD but if I use the No Folder option it's still limited but not as bad as before. At least it looks like they did something.

Same screwed up ota : no timers can be created except manual timers. Still can't change or alter my folder names or create any new ones. So I don't see what they "fixed"- and I use that word loosely.:oldno

S439 fixed the Multi-Swap issue of not keeping the channels paused while swapping. Multi-Swap now works as expected.

S439 fixed the Multi-Swap issue of not keeping the channels paused while swapping. Multi-Swap now works as expected.

It stays paused when swapping 2 tuners, but go to three and they go to Live TV. The pause still does not work reliably with Multi-Swap. Just like the HWS.

The OTA issue was there in S438.
I know that is why I said SAME screwed up ota. But a new twist tonight. I had a manual timer for Metv and it is recording but no show is visble to watch and the screen is BLACK and I can't change the channel at all or stop the recording. Yes it was a problem in 438 but there was a work around ; manual timers. Now there is no way to get around the fact I can't record ota channels at ALL now. Thanks DISH for screwing ota up even more than before.:rollingeyes

I just asked my wife to create a timer for an OTA channel and it went through the normal prompts. What does it do when you try and set one ?

Did it list on the daily schedule and put an icon in the guide?

I saw it put the icon in the guide but I didn't check the timer list. It did record the show:
IMG_20140606_065555.jpg
Note the channel #, 002-01

I repeated it this morning on a different show too:
IMG_20140606_065640.jpg IMG_20140606_065650.jpg IMG_20140606_065654.jpg IMG_20140606_065656.jpg IMG_20140606_065713.jpg IMG_20140606_072737.jpg

Yes, it shows in the guide and in the daily schedule but till the shows were over that it was recording , in this case Bosom Buddies, it was nothing but black screen and there was no show to watch either live or in the folders. Also I couldn't stop the show or change the channel from using the red button and selecting the tuner to stop it. Once the recording was supposed to be over I tried to select and change the ota channels and I got nothing but black screen. Finally I hit the reboot button after primetime was over and it rebooted and I got the checking your external hard drive message for 30 minutes. I gave up and went to bed. Till this update the manual timers worked as a work around for the no ota timers and now THIS update broke even that. So now ota for recording is totally broken. Thanks DISH.:rollingeyes

One of my Hoppers recorded a few PTAT shows multiple times last night. This morning there were 4 recordings of the Jimmy Kimmel, 4 recordings of Big Bang Theory and 2 recordings of Elementary. We're still dancing to One Step Forward And Two Steps Back.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I saw it put the icon in the guide but I didn't check the timer list. It did record the show:
View attachment 98026
Note the channel #, 002-01

I repeated it this morning on a different show too:

Try one on a sub channel other that -01. something like XXX-02 or XXX-03. As others have noted including myself, most of the timers set to an XXX-01 sub channel seem to be working, the others not so much.

Yes, it shows in the guide and in the daily schedule but till the shows were over that it was recording , in this case Bosom Buddies, it was nothing but black screen and there was no show to watch either live or in the folders. Also I couldn't stop the show or change the channel from using the red button and selecting the tuner to stop it. Once the recording was supposed to be over I tried to select and change the ota channels and I got nothing but black screen. Finally I hit the reboot button after primetime was over and it rebooted and I got the checking your external hard drive message for 30 minutes. I gave up and went to bed. Till this update the manual timers worked as a work around for the no ota timers and now THIS update broke even that. So now ota for recording is totally broken. Thanks DISH.:rollingeyes

I had a customer who had that happen not long ago and it turned out that heir OTA wire or USB OTA module wire came loose, I don't remember which. Have you tried these things and of course a pull the plug re-boot?

FWIW, I just set a timer via Dish Anywhere for the local PBS' -05 channel for 2pm. I know this is different than doing it from the receiver, but it's all I can do from work ! ;)

It said "Timer Successfully Set" on the guide/grid screen. I am NOT seeing it on the "Daily Schedule" though nor is it showing up under "My Timers".

Tried at the TV a bit ago and it didn't work on a -2 and -5 sub-channel, just like you guys said.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)