Hopper upgade

BruceE

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I have Everything pack from Dish with a VIP722 & a VIP622. Would like to upgrade to the Hopper. Does this sound right 1 Hopper & 3 Joeys $7.00 each or would I need 4 Joeys . My bill would go up by $21.00 or $28.00. I have a the following right now.
HS//SD 2 tv DVR receiver $17.00
Blockbuster @ home $10.00
DVR Service $7.00
Protection Plan $7.00
Superstations $7.00
DVR intergration $4.00

Could I drop any of these charges with the Hopper system and lower my bill. My system is for 4 tvs.

Thank you,
Bruce

You definitely would NOT need DVR integration w/Ho-Jo's. (it's not even available for them anyway...)
Obviously you will NOT have the $17.00 (HD Duo) DVR charge when you go to Ho/Jo.
The DVR fee will go from $7 to $12 for the (1st) Ho.
So putting the other charges (below) aside for a minute, your monthly bill from what it currently is, would only go up by $5, assuming you do 1 Ho/3 Jo's.

As far as the rest of the charges (supers, BB, prot plan) those are totally up to you, & have nothing to do with going to Ho/Jo's - so not sure why you're asking about those. Personally I think the protection plan is a waste, but you may think different.

One small warning for you - you ARE aware that going to your proposed setup, you are actually LOOSING 1 tuner in total! (Ho's only have 3 tuners; you currently have total of 4 tuners across your 2 DVR's)
(yes, Ho's can record up to 6 shows at once, but that's ONLY if 4 of them are from your local BIG 4 networks; otherwise it's only 3 different shows otherwise)
You might want to considering doing 2 Ho's/2 Jo's; the 2nd Ho would be $5 more than a Jo - but you then would have 6 tuners in total that ALL TV's could share.

Last edited:
You would be happiest with 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys.
DVR fee is $12
Secondary Hopper is $12
First Joey is $7
Second Joey is $7
Total equipment fees: $38

Right now you are paying $24 in equipment fees.

You would be happiest with 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys.
DVR fee is $12
Secondary Hopper is $12
First Joey is $7
Second Joey is $7
Total equipment fees: $38

Right now you are paying $24 in equipment fees.

Couldn't agree more, 2 hoppers for 4 tvs is the best setup possible. IMHO.

Also, if you don't use TV2 locations very often you can drop the Joeys (after install) and mirror one (or both) of the Hoppers. For SD all it needs is an RF modulator (or two.) For HD there are options of long HDMI cables (can use CAT5,) long component cables, or wireless HDMI (though expensive and not the most reliable.)