Hopper w/superjoey install procedure..

ggw2000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2004
Out here somewhere
As I had mentioned a couple weeks ago, I'm seriously considering purchasing a HWS and Superjoey to replace my 722 & one of my 211Ks. I have been installing all my own equipment for over 10 yrs (dishes/receivers/switches/etc.) and have the wiring laid out and what I need to do for the hardware part of the job. What is of more concern to me is the procedure for actually activating and getting them up and running. I have read reference that it is not like installing VIP receivers which makes sense. I googled yesterday to see if I could come up with any info. Found one document that was put out by Dish but have no idea how old it is or whether it is accurate today for bringing up a Hopper/Joey..
I seems that you do not hookup coax or pwr to the superjoey before getting the HWS activated and live TV on screen? If this is true then I assume you call in to Dish with receiver/smartcard #s for both units first and make the account changes. Then begin the process of getting HWS on line and then hook up superjoey and power on..
Does anyone have a link to an actual updated installation procedure (i assume joey/superjoey is same procedure?) ? Or could provide a quick step by step?
Thanks, Gerry

KAB posted a link yesterday that should be good. The only thing different in the joey and SJ is the integrator(I beleive) but yes, before turning in the SJ you will want to have the hopper activated and running.

KAB posted a link yesterday that should be good. The only thing different in the joey and SJ is the integrator(I beleive) but yes, before turning in the SJ you will want to have the hopper activated and running.

Yes, that's the jobaid that I'm using for the wiring considerations. It mentions on one of the first pages to have the Hopper activated and up/running before cabling/powering any joeys. Hopefully that is a straight forward procedure. Maybe someone here has done a "self install" that might provide additional tips/tricks.. Gerry

We've learned through experience that this is the most efficient procedure:

1) Install and boot up the Hopper to the Activation screen.
2) Install and boot up the Super Joey to the Activation screen.
3) Call for activation.
4) Install and boot up any regular Joeys.

Super Joeys need a 'hit' from the satellite and regular Joeys don't, so having the Super Joey and the Hopper ready for activation at the same time saves a second call for Super Joey activation. Regular Joeys don't need a 'hit' from the satellite and are activated from the Hopper after the Hopper is activated so they should be hooked up after the Hopper is activated.

We've learned through experience that this is the most efficient procedure:

1) Install and boot up the Hopper to the Activation screen.
2) Install and boot up the Super Joey to the Activation screen.
3) Call for activation.
4) Install and boot up any regular Joeys.

Super Joeys need a 'hit' from the satellite and regular Joeys don't, so having the Super Joey and the Hopper ready for activation at the same time saves a second call for Super Joey activation. Regular Joeys don't need a 'hit' from the satellite and are activated from the Hopper after the Hopper is activated so they should be hooked up after the Hopper is activated.

That sounds logical for HWS/Superjoey install. I assume that's it's ok to install integrator and all wiring, just do not hook coax or power to Superjoey until HWS is at activation screen?
Gerry

Honestly, you can connect the coaxial, just leave the power completely unplugged. If you want to be extra careful, leave the coax unplugged, but it shouldn't make a diff.

Wouldn't a single call do the trick, if they are sending a hit, since it cycles for 4 hours.

Sometimes you have to wait quite a while for that hit that to recycle. Getting the Hopper and Super Joey hit at the same time is the quickest by far. Trust me, I have tried it several different ways. :)

That sounds logical for HWS/Superjoey install. I assume that's it's ok to install integrator and all wiring, just do not hook coax or power to Superjoey until HWS is at activation screen?
Gerry

Right, but like Chad said, it's OK to hook up the coax, just don't plug it into power until the Hopper is at the activation screen.

Good luck

-JS

Honestly, you can connect the coaxial, just leave the power completely unplugged. If you want to be extra careful, leave the coax unplugged, but it shouldn't make a diff.

Thank you, Gerry One more quick one- do you run "check switch" on a Superjoey since it's hooked to a Sat leg?

Thank you, Gerry One more quick one- do you run "check switch" on a Superjoey since it's hooked to a Sat leg?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts