Hopper "wake up" querk

sabre170

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
Dallas, TX
I've got a hopper setup in my house with no joeys. I'm running software version S525 NDEB.

My hopper bit the dust about 6 months ago. It required a new hopper from dish to be sent.

I installed the new hopper and did a restore via the saved settings on the remote, which worked great. Only loss was the recordings on the old DVR. All else was just as before.....with one oddity.

Old hopper: when I would turn my tv off, eventually the hopper goes into stand by. When I would later turn the tv back on, the hopper would default back to the last channel I was watching.....I.e. If I was watching channel 123, and the turned the tv off and came back later and turned the tv on and "woke up" the hopper from standby mode, it would go back to channel 123 (pending there wasn't a situation where all the tuners were recording something which is pretty rare in my house).

New hopper: It goes into standby just like the old one, however unlike the old one, it doesn't go back to the previously watching channel. Rather, it seems to do some sort of calculation and determines that at this time of the day, normally I'm watching Chanel 127 and automatically goes there rather than the last channel.

This, (although kinda freaky) can be a nice feature at times, however there are times when it is really annoying. I can litterally put the hopper in standby and immediately wake it up and it is at a different channel. I.e. Be watching 125, go in stby, immediately wake up, and it is at 127. I can then flip to 125, again go in stby and immediately wake up and it is back at 127.

Is this normal? Is there a way to turn this "smart" channel select feature off?

This "feature," unfortunately, has no way to turn it off..... and yes, Dish did it purposely because they seem to think we need it.... ;)

This has been posted and discussed a LOT! I think that if you turn the Hopper back on within 30 minutes it will return to the last channel watched. Longer and it will do its guessing game.

Many people do not like this either. Wish Dish had a way to configure this like they allow for turning on/off captions, caller ID, HDMI-CEC, etc...

Reactions: thomasjk
As I said in another thread: I really hate this new 'feature'. I can't imagine why Dish would implement such a ridiculous feature (that does not work correctly) when there are a number of previous issues that remain broken!

Thanks for confirming I'm not crazy. Sorry if I've brought up a topic discussed numerous times already.....I searched, but couldn't find any similar threads....my bad.

Sorry if I've brought up a topic discussed numerous times already.....I searched, but couldn't find any similar threads....my bad.
There's no 'name' for this feature, at least outside of Dish, so you'd have a hard time finding existing threads. I wouldn't worry.... ;)

Thanks for confirming I'm not crazy. Sorry if I've brought up a topic discussed numerous times already.....I searched, but couldn't find any similar threads....my bad.
Don't be sorry, we're glad to get the opportunity to vent our displeasure with this feature again, and again....

I have to say, we don't seem to notice this feature on our Hopper. We do have up to 5 people in the house watching mostly different stuff so that may "help" keep it from settling on anything (?).

HBO & Cinemax recordings on Dish expired?

Adding a 3rd hopper

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)