hornet invasion - post yours

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I just got off the phone with a professional exterminator. He wants $145 to kill the nest and remove it. That is a little on the high end of what I was expecting but I think it's reasonable. The fact that I called 4 other pest control experts before this man who said they don't mess with hornet nests pretty much sealed the deal. He will be out this afternoon to take care of it.

I buy this at LOWES hardware. Shoots a stream over 25 ft. I buy 3 cans when it goes on sale. Normal price is $3 a can.
?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 87
let us hear how it comes out. I think in that situation that was the thing to do. Not sure if those things leave after one season in a nest or not, but if they don't you would have to look forward to them next year again. I used to have honeybees, and believe me if you don't understand the behavior of the mean little critters, you can get seriously hurt.

At a certain temperature insects are rendered immobile. I don't know where that temperature is. At 45 F the wasps I destroyed didn't defend their nest when I knocked it to the ground. But a giant beach ball nest made of paper ? Got to be warm and cozy in there I'd imagine. I'd want more than a 45 F ambient barrier to mess with that thing. A killing frost would be nice !

Again it's hard to see the actual nest in this picture. I took this through a window inside my house. He told me that these were bald faced hornets and that he doesn't normally deal with nests this big.

He actually put the nozzle of his poison sprayer right in the hole of the nest. As soon as he did this hundreds of those suckers came pouring out. I think this surprised him because he tried to run away and fell off his ladder one step from the ground. He said he was never actually stung and that he was just trying to get away based on instinct. I felt bad for the guy because half the neighborhood was out in their yards watching by the time he fell. To his credit he climbed right back up the ladder and put the nozzle back inside the nest.

He sprayed for a few minutes and then cut the nest off the branch. He put it in a standard garbage bag, tied it up, and threw it in the back of his van. At this point there was still a massive cloud of hornets swarming around where the nest would have been. He got out a bigger spraying device that went on like a backpack and shot a wide mist out. He sprayed the area where the nest attached to the tree from pretty much every direction. Even by the time he left there was still a bunch of them buzzing around the tree. They thinned out more and more every hour and by about 7:00pm I couldn't see any more of them.

I am very glad I didn't try to use a regular spray can on the nest like I do all the time with smaller wasp nests. He put a a lot more spray in the area than I would have and even sprayed directly into the nest and they were still active. I don't think me spraying with a standard can on to the outside of the nest from 10 feet away would have taken them out. Judging by the way they swarmed him I would have been stung many times too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1380156265.492479.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1380156265.492479.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 134
Dumb

Smart

Chinese Army Style

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say those ladies are lucky they didn't get it much worse than that with the nest hitting the ground right next to them.

That would've made a great video, guy falling off the ladder lol. Worth every bit of the buck and ahalf.
NO WAY would I attempt to varnish one of those nests, and especially not from a ladder. found myself face to face with the hole in the bottom of one small hornet nest once, while cutting some small trees with a chain saw. That saw ran until it ran out of gas, about an hour later, and I ran to the house so fast everything was a blur. Got to the big mirror and found nothing on my back, whew. When I opened the door again though-there was one trapped between the storm door and the wooden door-how do they fly that fast? After dark I ran back and got my saw, hehe.

"The wasps, hornets, and bees and their biting flightless allies constitute an axis of evil, arming to threaten the peace of the world."

-- George W. Bush

stop the wasp and bee invasion

I had a large nest of small aggressive bees inside my storage barn door and I could not go in after them.
After trying two cans of wasp spray and they were still flying.

I got the wet/dry shop vac and stood the hose and pipe against a ladder so the end of pipe was at the hole where they were going in and out of.

I ran the vac for three hours in afternoon until no more were seen and then turned OFF vac , sprayed starting fluid down the hose and plugged pipe with a rag for the night.

In the morning all 200 + of them were dead in bottom of vac and I could now enter my barn.

I saw the shop vac method on Youtube, seems very effective if you're patient.

Two acts of sheer bravery with great outcomes are seen here,

The 12 guage shotgun and .22 rimfire also show up on Youtube as great tools, just blast the nest into oblivion firing multiple shells. A pressure washer with soapy water might be just as good because like the guns, you are at a distance where the insects don't see you as the cause of their problem and you can destroy the nest, if not all the critters, without incident.

For C-band satellite dish applications though, your shop vac technique might be just the thing. You certainly don't want to pull that big black nose cone off while it's occupied !

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember driving by a customer's house and noticing hornet nest on the lnb years ago. I stopped in to tell him. It was on the 110 lnb though, he didnt even know the nest was there. He received no programming off of 110.

Great video on the less than smart people removing that nest. First error was doing it. Second was not waiting until night. You want all the bees at home when you are going to get rid of them.
I had a nest inside the cover on the bud about three years ago. Way I fixed the problem was not to put that cover back on.
Where the dang bees want to build at my house is inside the gas door on my pick up. Three times now in four years. They must like those OUTRAGEOUS priced gas fumes.
RT

Here's a little fellow that is ready for war also. I'm not sure what the real name for them would be, in the south we call 'em 'pack-saddles' because of the way the colors on its back appear. Those tiny spines are almost as bad a a yellowjacket sting too, and the little buggers hide on the bottom side of leaves on plants and shrubs. Be careful where you touch plants this time of year. If hornets had a caterpillar stage, this would be it!

Attachments

• IMG_0825.JPG
    IMG_0825.JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 82
Here's a little fellow that is ready for war also. I'm not sure what the real name for them would be, in the south we call 'em 'pack-saddles' because of the way the colors on its back appear. Those little tiny spines are almost as bad a a yellowjacket sting too, and the little buggers hide on the bottom side of leaves on plants and shrubs. Be careful where you grab this time of year!

That must be a government bug! You can't tell if it's coming or going! lol

Ran into one of those last fall. I had only ever seen them in pictures before, and I was surprised at how small it was.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)