Hos "bad" is it to operate the R10 without phone line connection

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SummitAdvantageRetailer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 11, 2004
East Coast
How "bad" is it to operate the R10 without phone line connection?

Hi guys. I know that without the phone line connected, the guide is very slow but what about the software downloads? Are they released very frequently (i.e. once a month)? We have a customer who got the R10 but has no phone line and I'm getting a bit worried that their functionality will suffer without the guide info updating and software updating by the phone line connection. Feedback will be appreciated. Thanks!

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
Hi guys. I know that without the phone line connected, the guide is very slow but what about the software downloads? Are they released very frequently (i.e. once a month)? We have a customer who got the R10 but has no phone line and I'm getting a bit worried that their functionality will suffer without the guide info updating and software updating by the phone line connection. Feedback will be appreciated. Thanks!
primary loss with no land line is the length of time you can see shows, the TIVO content thing, so they will only have three or four day horizon of shows, rather than the 18 to 25 you get when TIVO can connect every other night or so . .

jstroup said:
primary loss with no land line is the length of time you can see shows, the TIVO content thing, so they will only have three or four day horizon of shows, rather than the 18 to 25 you get when TIVO can connect every other night or so . .

It's absolutely amazing the amount of misinformation on these boards... :no :rolleyes:

Not having a phone line will NOT, in ANY way, shape OR form affect the guide, either in speed OR content - ALL of the guide info comes over the dish & has for quite some time. You'll still get the +/- 12 days worth of guide just as the people do that have a phone line. (maybe you're thinking of the standalone units & NOT the D-Tivo's???)

The ONLY losses are:
- Can't order PPV by remote, but you can on D*'s website
- You get a nag screen once a day after about the first 30 days - you can just skip over it with no problem
- If D* sends out a software upgrade, it needs the phone line to "activate" it - this is so rare though, it really is no biggie. (the actual software upgrade itself comes over dish, NOT the phone line) If D* DOES send one out, it can be taken over to someone's place that does, to make it's activation call, then can be taken back home. Considering the OP was asking about an R10, the software should already be at the current level out of the box
- You DO need a phone line for the initial setup, otherwise, it will NEVER activate the Tivo service - once this is done, you're all set

Do a search & you'll see that many people don't use a phone line on these & have no problems whatsoever...

jstroup said:

Where did you hear this I have not had my D* tivos hooked to a phone for over a year and they function exactly the same as when I had them hooked up with the exception of being able to order PPV from the remote.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)