how bad can best buy get

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
Well my brother and I decided we were going to get PS3's again to play warhawk and killzone 2 against one another ( I have one already he was looking to get one.) and we set out for a certain bundle that had killzone 2 and metal gear solid 4 in it, we went up to our best buy after seeing online that it was in stock. We looked all over the shelves for it but couldnt find it, so we asked the kid who was working if they had any left, to which he replied "yeah we do, but they are now 429.99 as we took them out downloaded firmware updates and set it up with other enhacements". Huh? isnt this a little bait and switch, and also trying to charge me for services I dont need? I asked him will you guys sell that to me for 399 as thats the one I want, and he said no, Sony Stopped sending us that bundle and we had already opened them up and did those things to them. So let me get this straight I will now be buying a used ps3, at 30 dollars more then I should be because best buy wants to sell their services on things that arent needed? no thanks. I will be calling Sony on this as well and let them know that Best buy is discouraging people from buying their product by making it even more expensive.....sad day.

Last edited:
WOW! Like I would want any kid opening my gaming machine and updating firmware on them. No telling what he jacked out of the box. What if I didn't want the updated firmware?

WOW! Like I would want any kid opening my gaming machine and updating firmware on them. No telling what he jacked out of the box. What if I didn't want the updated firmware?

now your getting my point, why not make it optional? and also charging full price for open box? when did that start.

There was a lawsuit recently about this regarding Best Buy, where they would advertise online for cheaper than what they would sell in the store. Last I heard it was "suppose" to be corrected. Did you talk to the store manager?

There was a lawsuit recently about this regarding Best Buy, where they would advertise online for cheaper than what they would sell in the store. Last I heard it was "suppose" to be corrected. Did you talk to the store manager?

called back later and was told they had one in the store and I could come pick it up, then was later told they actually dont have that bundle but they actually had the 499 bundle, so we didnt even attempt to drive back at that point.

Just take Best Buy add (the one that shows KZ2 & MGS4 bundle) to competitor and get them to match it.

now your getting to the heart of it, as far as I know Best buy was the only one to carry these bundles. unless I can be proven wrong on that, I think thats the case.

I can't believe BB is opening boxes to do that......

Usually an open box item is marked down, BECAUSE it's been opened.

Did you talk to a manager? or the General Manager? I'd ask for a discount BECAUSE it's already open! If they don't help you, ask for the District Managers number......and really call.

Do like the rest of us....get an XBOX instead...you'll be just as happy if not (ier).
See the XBox sign on the right under his post count? I would call the store manager and the corporate hotline. I do most of my shopping at BB and have never had any problems, but I would be raising hell about that.

That's crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a return, and a customer did the usual firmware updates/enhancements before returning for some reason. Why would someone in store do that...other than to scam customers of course? So what were these other "enhancements" anyway? A larger HDD? Free games from the PSN installed?

That's crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a return, and a customer did the usual firmware updates/enhancements before returning for some reason. Why would someone in store do that...other than to scam customers of course? So what were these other "enhancements" anyway? A larger HDD? Free games from the PSN installed?

nothing like that if I remember correctly it was to make it easier to run out of the box, or set it up, I will ask my brother.

They did to me when I went to purchase an iPod touch. BB online had it for $275. In store price was $299. Salesman tells me I can price match the online price:confused: Price match? It's your own website!? Crap like that pisses me off. Only time I ever make a purchase at BB is when I need to have something right away, which is very seldom. But I do agree. If they're opening up a PS3 box, should be an open box item. No way I'd buy one of these "new".

Bestbuy does that now with a lot of products.
Laptops and Desktops they open them up and removed all the oem crap off. Install all the service packs and throw an AV on it.
Then they add that to the price calling it optimized. They tried to get my fiance with that same crap while I was with her. I told them she didn't ask for that service, that is your loss. Give it to her at the price or we ordering from Newegg online.
The worst thing that could happen when is it only one Brick and mortar electronics store. Since C.C. went down Bestbuy been pulling more crap like this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)