How can I connect a DVI to HDMI and use the TV's audio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
I have a satellite receiver, Star Choice DSR 530, which has a DVI output.

I have a televison with a HDMI input.

How do I get the audio to the televison?? I just figured out that the DVI out does not include audio, so when I use the DVI to HDMI cable, I get no audio.

Is it possible??

Thanks

Last edited:
HDMI-DVI audio choices

Hi,

I hear your dilemma and I know the answer. The thing is, I don't know what audio inputs you have on your tv or if you have a surround sound receiver with digital audio inputs. If you do, most likely it has optical if it's fairly new in which case, you need that for digital audio. Go to your nearest Curcuit City, Best Buy, or like store and ask about digital audio. There is also Coaxial Digital audio cables (not to be confused with coaxial cable that connects the dish to the receiver, or what cable companies use to connect to the tuner on the back of your tv... not the same thing). The coaxial digital has a connector that resembles a stereo audio cable connector but it will be labeled coaxial digital. If you want to learn more, ask your sales associate at one of those stores. I work at Best Buy so I know that much.

If you don't have an audio or a/v receiver, and you just have a tv, most likely you only have sterio audio inputs which are designated by the red and white connectors that should be in the same box as the HDMI in. I believe that most TVs that have HDMI inputs, however, had optical digital inputs. These are very interesitng looking. They either have a black stud sticking out of them which you must pull off, or a small flip door covering it. The flip door opens when you insert the cable connector. It's the same thing on the receiver. Just look where it says "Optical" and you will know.

Optical cables use light to transfer digitally decoded sound, commonly Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS formats. If you have this connection on both the tv (or the a/v receiver) and the satellite receiver then get that cable and set the audio settings on your tv to "Bitstream" or "Digital". If any of them don't have this connection, or the connection labelled "Coaxial digital" then you just get the regular stereo audio cables. For the best quality, definitely spend the extra few dollars for Monster cable with quad shielding. You won't regret it. The difference is uncanny.

I hope this helps a little. Please feel free to email me at geoffreychuck@gmail.com if you have further questions.

MonsterHDfreak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)