How can I destack 3 sats that are currently on one line?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Clorox

Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
I live in an apartment building that uses stacking to put 3 sats on a one line single cable drop to each apartment (101, 110, 119) . And for any naysayers out there, yes this is possible, and yes this is how it is implemented in my building.

My question is this: My current setup allows me to get the 101 sat just fine using a splitter, a sonora destacker and a 2x4 multiswitch. However, I'd like to be able to get the 110 and 119 as well since I want to get an HD TiVo.

I know a product exists from NAS products (I can't post a link since it wont allow me, but go to tinyurl and add ctbh2 to the end for the product I'm talking about) that has a multisat single in and dual or quad IRD out, but I don't know of anywhere I can buy it, and a call to NAS products just says to contact PACE, and I doubt PACE would sell me one of these.

So, I'm wondering if any input from you all might help me figure out how to emulate what this unit might be doing using a combination of destackers, splitters, (tone generators?) etc., and a multiswitch.

Also just an FYI - If I use my sonora destacker and I put the output from the destacker into one of the 22KHz inputs on a 4x8 multiswitch during the satellite setup process (I forget which one it is, I think it's the 18v/22KHz input), the TiVo recognizes very high signal strength for both the 119 and 110. The problem is that when I go over to the next page, it says that 110 and 119 are "not detected".

Is there anything we can do to get this working?

Thanks!

Are you sure your building is using the NAS stacking device? I was under the impression that its stacking of the Sat A evens was "inverted" and therefore not compatable with a Sonora destacker.

I've installed dual, Sonora stacked trunklines in large buildings, and when they only have one home run coax, the limitation on they system is that they have to choose between receiving stacked Sat A or stacked Sat B/C at one time. This is not a problem for the football junkies who only have one TV on during gameday.

Sonora D575 does not pass the tone signal, but D575P does. But if your MDU operator does not have your home run line connected to a remote tone switch, it still will not be able to call for signals from B/C.

AntAltMike said:
Are you sure your building is using the NAS stacking device? I was under the impression that its stacking of the Sat A evens was "inverted" and therefore not compatable with a Sonora destacker.

I've installed dual, Sonora stacked trunklines in large buildings, and when they only have one home run coax, the limitation on they system is that they have to choose between receiving stacked Sat A or stacked Sat B/C at one time. This is not a problem for the football junkies who only have one TV on during gameday.

Sonora D575 does not pass the tone signal, but D575P does. But if your MDU operator does not have your home run line connected to a remote tone switch, it still will not be able to call for signals from B/C.

Mike,

You seem extremely knowledgeable about this area of DTV, so I appreciate the thoughtful response. To answer your questions, I'm not sure that my building uses an NAS stacking device. However, I haven't seen any other companies use equipment that stacks 3 satellites (or more) on one line without using NAS equipment, but then again, I am pretty new to all of this. I have noticed NAS DEstacking devices in the gym at my building. I definitely get a good signal on both the odd and even A with my sonora destacker, so I'm not sure how that factors into all of this.

I am also pretty sure I am using the D575P device. Do you know why it is that my satellite can "see" the 110 and 119, but it won't fully recognize them in setup? Does that have to do with a tone switch issue? Is there any solution? I assume that if they can deliver all 3 satellites to a single line that there should be a way for me to split up the signals into a multiswitch so I can enjoy them all (especially if there is a device that does all this available from NAS products).

From what I see on nasproducts website and the tinyurl link I attempted to give earlier, it seems to me that with a dual or quad IRD out (the NAS multi-satellite destacking device they sell has a built-in multiswitch), you'd be able to watch whichever sats you wanted at any given time.

It is only 2 satellites worth of signals stacked.

The 110 and 119 combined are less than one satellites worth of transponders so DirecTV usually mixes the two to appear as a single satellite.

if you call Pace electronics at 850-474-3900 ask for Jack, he will be more than happy to assist you with this problem, although it sounds to me that you need an AL8d switch, ps the NAS system is the only way to stuff three birds onto one wire for D*:)

woodybeetle said:
if you call Pace electronics at 850-474-3900 ask for Jack, he will be more than happy to assist you with this problem, although it sounds to me that you need an AL8d switch, ps the NAS system is the only way to stuff three birds onto one wire for D*:)

Thanks Woody!

I'll call them. It looks like the AL8D is a 8 drop distribution hub that only provides distribution for a single satellite (101), so it looks like I'll need something different. Does Pace sell customer devices made by NAS, and do you think they'll sell one to me even though I'm not a dealer?

Thanks for your advice.

yes pace sells the full line of RF distribution, if he asks just tell him his warehouse persons boyfriend Dan(me, my girl works for him) gave you the number, he may be able to help you, ask him if an lmx82 would help you out, I think it will, we run 5 sats on a line here, it helps us distribute the signal. Good luck:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts