How Do I Check Amp/Preamp Operation?

Discussion in 'Digital Over the Air Television Talk By RabbitEars' started by sansabar, Mar 14, 2005.

1. sansabar

sansabar Thread Starter Member

Decided to start over with the OTA antennas. I replaced my old RadioShack VHF/UHF with a Terk 44 and was gettting several stations "okay" and one of them HD. Since all of my local HD stations are broadcasting from the same degree (+/- 1 degree) I decided to upgrade and get a little more directional in hopes to gain more of the available HD channnels.
    I put up a Channel Master 3020 with a Channel Master Spartan 3 3041DSB Amp/Preamp. Here is my problem:
    I notice NO difference when the amp is plugged in or bypassed.
    I get fewer stations
    Could the amp/preamp be bad out of the box? How do I check? Would I be better suited using a Titan2 7777?
    Setup-
    I run RG6 all the way. Antenna to Diplexer to DirecTV Triple LNB to 25' RG6 to Diplexer to DirecTV D10. I run a splitter off the TV end of the diplexer - one RG6 to D10 Ant In and the other RG6 to TV (Sony 32" WEGA HD Ready). HDMI from D10 to TV.

2. Kevinw

Kevinw Proud Staff Member
    Pub Member / Supporter

Sounds like someone has been to Lowes. My suggestion would be to take the diplexor out of the picture and run a straight line to the Amp then to the TV from the amp.

3. sansabar

Lowes it was! Very limited to our Channel Master dealers here in South Georgia.
    So am I to understand that the diplexer diminshes the effect of the amplifier? And if so, how? Just trying to get a better understanding of the situation.

4. Kevinw

Pub Member / Supporter

This might explain it better
    http://www.starkelectronic.com/allamps.htm

5. sansabar

Thanks, Kevinw.
    One more thought/question. I run my RG6 through a surge protector before it gets to any equipment. Any problems here?

6. sansabar

Thanks again, Kevinw. Followed your advice and ran separate lines. Works great.

7. Kevinw

Pub Member / Supporter

Idon't becasue of the 3db loss of signal or more. I live in a fringe area and need all the signal I can get.

Glad the suggestion worked.

VigLink badge
Sucuri