How do I know I am getting everything I am supposed to?

opsraja

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
My zipcode is 11419. I just got an HDTV and paid a local installer $200 to put up an HDTV antenna (antenna included). I dont know what kind he put up, all I know is that there is a huge antenna on my chimney. How can I tell if I am getting every channel I am supposed to? I know I don't get channels 5.x and I dont know if I'm supposed to. I get Fox 5, and I get 9.2 which seems to be FoxDT (same content on both channels, and they look the same to me, but i guess one is analog one is digital). I get ABCHD (football games look amazing), CBSHD, PBSHD.

Is there anyway I can tell if I'm missing channels that I should be getting and if I am missing them is there something I should tell the installer?

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm assuming you should be getting the WB and UPN in Hi-def if your WB and UPN STations have allready gone digital. I know they have here in the DC area, and of course NBC. Again, I guess it depends on wether your locals do indeed have digital signals available.

I can tell you that my FOX local in analog and Digital are like night and day. Watched 24 and a few Football games in Hi-def on the local fox channel over the last few days and it was truly beautiful, almost made me cry I tell ya,,,

Is there a difference between a digital and hi-def channel? If it's digital does that mean that HD programs can be broadcast (but not all the time) or does a channel have to be completely hi-def? I am referring to Fox.

I'm not claiming to be an expert mind you, but it is my understanding that a digital channel just has the ability to broadcast Hi-def programming. The programming on a digital channel doesn't necessarily have to be Hi-def.

For instance, pretty much none of the daytime programming you see on any of the major networks is Hi-def, but can still be shown on the same digital channel that provides the Hi-def primetime, and sports offerings.

So in short, as far as OTA Hi-def goes, there iaren't any HD channels, just Digitals that air HI-DEF programming

Hope this helps

Last edited:
i checked antenna web. now according to it, the antenna has to point to the same angle for both ABCHD and FoxHD (as well as most of my HDs), so why would I only get some and not others?

opsraja said:
i checked antenna web. now according to it, the antenna has to point to the same angle for both ABCHD and FoxHD (as well as most of my HDs), so why would I only get some and not others?

Distance will also be a factor. Also make sure that the degree listing is for azimuth (heading) not angle (elevation).

well..i am totally stumped...all the stations are 10 miles away from me. i rescaned a few times, no foxhd, but everything else i get. same azimuth, same distance, (some are even further)

WWOR-DT 9.1 UPN 308° 9.4
WNYE-DT 24.1 PBS 283° 8.1
WNYW-DT 5.1 FOX 308° 9.4
WPIX-DT 11.1 WB 308° 9.4
WPXN-DT 31.1 IND 292° 10.1
WXTV-DT 41.1 UNI 308° 9.4
WNJU-DT 36 TEL 292° 10.1
WNBC-DT 4.1 NBC 313° 9.6
WLIW-DT 21.2 PBS 83° 20.6
WABC-DT 7.1 ABC 311° 9.8
WCBS-DT 2.1 CBS 308° 9.4
WFUT-DT 68.1 TFA 311° 9.8

9.2 Should not be FOX

charper1 said:
Have you called that local FOX affiliate to elicit their engineer's help?

Didnt know that was possible. I did find the number and will do it first thing in the morning. I'll post how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion.

okay - i ended up calling the fox engineer (very helpful and nice guy) and he told me i should be getting the channel. he said i can either try tuning to channel 44 because my tv might not map it to 5-1, i can use an antennuator (from radio shack) because my signal might be too STRONG, or i would need to turn the antenna. the first idea worked. although 44 didn't pick up on the autoscan, it does have a full signal bar. i wonder why it doesn't show up on 5-1 (a very minor nuisance) Is that because of my TV? ABC-HD maps to 7-1. (as do the other HDs) but not Fox.

Need Local OTA Station Help Long Island

Winegard HD 9095P Yagi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)