How hard is it...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mirage52

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
... to basically become your own tech? For instance, my dish is located on the roof of my house and I am thinking of buying a ladder and fixing the dish on my own when the wind knocks it out of whack. The dish has needed to be realigned 3 times in the last 2 years.

So, if anyone is able to move their dish on their own, how hard is it to align it correctly, and how would I know it is aligned correctly when I am moving it on my own?

How mechanically talented are you? Most technicians use a tuning meter to adjust signals. How much are you willing to invest a good fiberglass extension ladder will run close to $300?

I've installed 2 of my 4 dishes over the years without any problem. Now, I didn't go out and buy a special ladder or tools as I had ladders to do other things around the house and I've been very successful aiming the dishes without a meter by using a receiver. It can be done. My problem now is that the latest location is a bit high, I'm getting a bit older and plan on getting a lot older. Risk factor starts to build and I'm a lot less anxious to move or mess with my present dish than in previous years.

I personally don't think installing or alligning is all that difficult. I didn't buy any special tools at all. Just make sure you have someone inside on a walkie giving you the signal strength. Account for a little bit of delay and make minor adjustments.

I personally don't think installing or alligning is all that difficult. I didn't buy any special tools at all. Just make sure you have someone inside on a walkie giving you the signal strength. Account for a little bit of delay and make minor adjustments.

This is generally my approach too.

Jimbo

Thanks for the replies. I need to invest in a ladder to have around the house anyway, so being able to get up on the roof will just be another bonus when the dish gets out of position the next time.

What kind of tools are needed to move the dish around and then lock it into place? I am guessing nothing more than a wrench is needed. Am I wrong?

Get yourself a extension ladder at the local Home Depot. For tools all you need is a set of open end wrenchs. 7/16 is the most comon size needed. Home Depot has a varity size set in a orange bag for like $10. Thats all you need for allignment.

Good luck

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tivo or HR21xxx?

NFL ST On Demand Ch 1702

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)