How important is the DVR to you as a Voom customer?

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
Also, do you think Voom should drop all West Coast HD feeds when the DVR is released? Say after 2-3 months after it's release and pursue other HD feeds?

I need one by the end of the year or I'm gone. And I need a release date very soon or I will be gone. My cable company keeps waving their HD DVR under my nose and it smells pretty good.

Hmm... Don't see an option I could vote for... Mine would be something like this:
"Extremely important! But I am willing to wait as long as it takes. Not planning on quiting VOOM any time soon!" ;)

Ilya said:
Hmm... Don't see an option I could vote for... Mine would be something like this:
"Extremely important! But I am willing to wait as long as it takes. Not planning on quiting VOOM any time soon!" ;)
This one has my vote, too.

I want one also... but not willing to put a time limit yet. The choices I have are HDTIVO or 921. Cablevision does not offer a DVR. I will not spend $1000 for either HDTIVO or 921. So in my case I have no choice but wait for VOOM's DVR.

Not important to me really - perhaps because I've never had one and don't know what I'm missing? If they come out with one I'll investigate a little , but unless it was the deal of the century, probably wouldn't be interested.

Well I have kids, and while lately I make excuses to stay home and just "chill" normally I have a semi-active life. There are movies I miss sections of, shows I miss because I watched something else, kids that interrupt, life gets in the way. Right now it's a non-issue, however as the Fall schedule gears up, things will change. Ever since I told my wife Voom will have a recorder (which she was complaing about not having at least a VCR hooked up ... ewww) she asks me about it every so often.

When guests came over we watched Cold Creek Manor and missed the first 20 minutes, my wife turns to me with her coy voice and said "This never would have happened if you had a recorder"... Like I'm on the Voom DVR design team or something and I spilled coke into the prototype.

It's just a nuisance not a hassle, however some people who have TiVo say that they can't live without it now, so to speak, and I can see the benefit of having one. However I have to put the benefit into perspective, I can't see myself through $1,000 on any DVR, maybe when prices drop, so price is an issue. Second is content, I can't see myself rushing to get a DVR for D*, E*, or Cable when they literally have a 1/4 of the HD content, and Voom's new Exclusive Cinema 10 lineup looks more appealing. Plus Voom has Fox Florida in HD for my area. I can't see myself getting a DVR just to own one then fiddle my thumbs wondering what to record, or recording HD at 7mbps.

So I'm another that while it's "very" important to me, I probably won't give up this fall if it's not out.

I can't put a time limit on anything. When an HD-DVR drops into my price range, I'll switch.

Does anyone realize that you can program the stand-alone Tivo (not the DirecTV Tivo) to get VOOM? So what's the problem? A DVR-HD is going to be expensive and I only want to record things I miss.....not to start a collection.

Check the totals on the "Vote board" folks..like I have always said, most folks just don't care about recording lousy programming to watch later...When the amount of QUALITY HD programs inceases, we will feel differently, but as of now, the majority doesnt think the cost justifies it...

I'm another one that see's no option to vote for. I want a HD whole house DVR badly, it's one of these reasons I signed up with Voom instead of Dish. But I won't leave because of not getting it.

HD programming is my main reason for joining with voom. But I'll be recording lots of stuff from SD channels too. The quality of the picture might be high in HD, but not all the content is high quality yet. There's no Farscape in High Def. No Monk. etc.

So my vote would be something like, I'm really looking forward to the soonest possible release of a non buggy, wireless networked HD DVR server and thin clients. It's high on my must have list. But I won't quit Voom over not getting it soon.

Interesting, 94.37% of Voom users so far are willing to wait until the end of the year, then percentages start to fall. Although if Voom takes too long say 2006, there could be a great drop in subscribers.

Since I hardly ever watch Voom, I can wait. I just want them to get it right and not be as buggy as a Dish receiver on release.

DarrellP said:
Since I hardly ever watch Voom, I can wait. I just want them to get it right and not be as buggy as a Dish receiver on release.

If you hardly ever watch Voom why are you so critical of them?

He only has the basic Voom pack, he is essentially saying he watches OTA, HDNet and Discovery, which to him, are available through E* and V* (except HDNet). I know buddy loves his Bikini Destinations, Miami Beach for me IS BIkini Destinations, besides I'm married, I don't let my wife feel under appreciated, lest she opt to find people to start a Penis Destinations. I hope Voom can get either HDnet or INHD to offer more sports, and variable programming that's always good.

I have VVV and I have more than enough daily HD to keep me busy.

trugel said:
If you hardly ever watch Voom why are you so critical of them?
EXACTLY! You just answered your own question. ;) If you had 2 V-8 sports cars and one of them ran on 7 cylinders, which one would you drive more?

The 7 cylinder one! How in the heck is it running with only 7 cylinders? Let's run it into the ground and find out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)