• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
How many have requested your converter box coupons?

Do you know if any of these boxes will have any advanced outputs? So far I have seen two at Walmart (RCA & Magnavox brands). Both have RF in/out, Composite (yellow) out, and stereo (white/red) out. No S-Video or digital audio outputs. :(

My understanding is that s video is optional but that other outputs are not allowed. These are to make the most basic TVs useful after the changeove.

I will request two... later this spring, so I can get a TR40 once it is available. Have two tvs that could use it.

But really waiting for the TR50.

As I voted, "I don't Intend To Request Any", not interested. I have 4 analog sets I don't use now. I seriously doubt one of these would get me to watching them again? Since I laid my eyes on HD, I can't go Backwards.....!

But, if someone asked me to pick mine up for them, I would probably do it.......???

I am a little surprised that so many have already requested theirs. I exprected taht more people would want to wait.

I feel that if this is like other government programs, they won't be processing things that quickly in any case, and furthermore, they have publicly stated they won't send out coupons until sufficient set top supplies are available at retail.

FWIW - I am also wanting to pick up at least one TR-40, and I have yet to see anything with a better feature set, so I'll probably get two TR-40s if I can. I am also interested in a TR-50, but not sure, as I have come to enjoy my DVD recorder.

where's the option for more than 2? I have requested 12 so far for friends and family who don't even have internet access to request it themselves! :)

I guess that I should have indicated I mean for your own use. I suspect though that any reference to ordering more than two would meet with protests from forum members who either feel that DBS or cable customers have no legal rights to the coupons or who see it as a moral issue.

in other words I wanted to make it clear that we were at the very least requesting coupons that We think we havea legal and moral right to.

BTW if you don't have net access there sia number to call.

And yes I know that your comment was tongue in cheek. But this is a hot button for some and i wanted to be as respectful as possible.

I am a little surprised that so many have already requested theirs. I exprected taht more people would want to wait.
That strategy may backfire. The government only has a limited amount of funding for the coupons. Once the funding is gone (ie: if they underestimate demand), no more coupons will be issued. If that happens, they could get more funding for more coupons, but its not guaranteed.

-John

The TR-50 won't be coupon eligible since it is a DVR. I'm waiting for the TR-40 or Sansonic boxes since they use new solid state tuners made by my company rather than the old 1950's style slow mechanical ones that the rest have.

Geronimo,
You shouldn't be surprised. A buddy of mine just put in for his two coupons and the numbers are up over 2 million now. I consider it like Social Security. You better grab it while you can instead of waiting to retire and find out that the Gov't already spent the money.

I don't intend to step back into the "analog" world. I still have analog-only TVs and I do have an OTA master antenna set-up. But those TVs will eventually be replaced, and if that doesn't happen within a year, well, I guess I'll just continue using them connected to the E* boxes only, as I have been doing for the past 9 years anyway. I can get all my local channels (SD only at this point) from E*.

For some the conversion will be all-enabling, those with older TVs that they don't intend to replace and access, for whatever reasons, only to OTA signals. For the rest of us - particularly those of us who frequent these forums - why bother? Is an older analog-only TV worth "saving" when superior options are readily available at ever-decreasing cost?

For the rest of us - particularly those of us who frequent these forums - why bother? Is an older analog-only TV worth "saving" when superior options are readily available at ever-decreasing cost?
For those of us that have one ATSC equipped HDTV and about 1/2 dozen NTSC sets, well.........that's what the OTA Converter box is for. Too many perfectly good analog sets with alot of life remaining, but no signal to pickup. Why throw something out that has years of life remaining?

bhelms, I still have an analog TV in the bedroom, and a DVD recorder without ATSC tuner. Also, I'm OTA only right now, so I do have some equipment that needs a converter box.

I'm not about to go out and buy new 20" TVs for the bedroom just to get an ATSC tuner built-in. My TVs are only 3-4 years old and are stereo, no reason to replace them yet.

Of course my main TVs are HD and already have HD tuners, but they're not covered by the coupon program.

BTW, I requested 2 coupons, and may get my parents to do the same for me.

-John

OK - So perhaps there are more than a few "OTA only" folks in these forums. If you're planning to keep the old TVs working, go for it! You can certainly have mine, meaning that I won't be drawing from the limited supply of convertor box coupons. Those of you with analog TVs who are connected to cable and/or satellite with LiL service (and not using OTA antennas) realize this is a non-issue, right ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)