How many of U have an DD 5.1 Audio System ? Please Vote Now

What kind of Dolby Digital Surround HT System u Have ?

• Total voters
Yes there are deffinetly not enough DTS titles. They make them for the theater so why not for the DVD :(

I have about 20 DTS disks I think :(

Because while most home theater receivers are capable of DD 5.1 (or better), not everyone can decode DTS, so it's a lowest common denominator issue more than anything else. However, more and more releases are coming out with DTS audio as option, which is a good thing! :)

HK 5.1 downstairs, Sony 7.1 upstairs. If the house is a rockin', then don't bother knockin' ...

'Cause we ain't gonna hear ya :) :) :)

long_time_DNC said:
Because while most home theater receivers are capable of DD 5.1 (or better), not everyone can decode DTS, so it's a lowest common denominator issue more than anything else. However, more and more releases are coming out with DTS audio as option, which is a good thing! :)

I didnt know that. I have a 4 year old Sony receiver and want to upgrade and even that has an DTS decoder. DTS is the way to go. Jurrasic Park in DTS....really just mind boggling.

charper1 said:
I didn't see a poll to vote in, but I use a 8.1 Yamaha and prefer DTS over DD by a wide margin. Too bad DBS and cable have failed to licence this superior sound.
I also prefer DTS to DD, it is a much better DSP scheme. To all ... why do you have 6.1, 7.1 & 8.1 systems when there is no application for these modes? Does it make a difference? I plan to skip all these myself but I have always wondered.

I am waiting for "the big move" which likely will not happen for more than 3 years but at that time I'll be moving into a 60" LCD and THX theatre. I guess I'll just have to dream for now. :D

slacker9876 said:
I also prefer DTS to DD, it is a much better DSP scheme. To all ... why do you have 6.1, 7.1 & 8.1 systems when there is no application for these modes? Does it make a difference? I plan to skip all these myself but I have always wondered.

There's software and hardware out there that supports 6.1. I haven't seen anything (on DVD) for 7.1 or 8.1, so I'm not sure where the software is at for that. 7.1 hardware (preamps and receivers) are available, but are very spendy at this time.

I've always wondered, without remodelling a home, where someone would put speakers for a 7.1, 8.1 or 9.1 system? 6.1 isn't difficult to manage, but the others...well, that's a lot of speaker placement work.

5.1 for everything possible...

Due to space constaints in my basement theatre room, I only have a 5.1 setup. But my B&K 505AVR and Def Techs all around more than make up for the lack of the two rear surrounds. My remaining audio tweak might be to add a mid-range sub.

:welcome

Four full-range floor standing Athenas, with the matching center channel. Little Athena sub to complement my DefTech Supercube II. Despite an entry level receiver, sounds pretty darned good -- I especially like DVD-A's and DTS music with the full range surround speakers. :music
Oh, and when watching a DVD, will always choose DTS if given the choice.

Outlaw Audio 1050 6.1 Receiver (best rcvr I've ever owned)
Wharfedale front & rears
Altec Lansing centers
AR Sub

Here is my killer system :)
20" Sony Wega TV (purchased after divorce)
100 watt Infinity sub (begged my X to have)
AIWA AV-NW31 Reciever (given to me as a "tip" by a customer I was installing DN for).
Bose Acoustimass speakers for L,C & R channels (given to me by a different customer when fixing a trouble call).
Rear channels are from the AIWA equipment.

Minus th TV it was all free. I don't have much room here.

LM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)