• Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.

shy007

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 26, 2005
South Carolina
How many folks have the R15 and have seen very little problems.... I feel like I'm in the minority...... Mine seems to work great and I love it...... I just wish I would have gotten a DVR way back..... This makes recording very simple.....

lee78221 said:
Never Had one problem with mine.

Have had NOTHING but problems with my first one. I just received a replacement unit yesterday, and we'll see how this one does...

The R15 is my first DVR so maybe I don't have much of a base for comparing...but...I really like mine. I do have one problem with the caller ID working only a few times after a reset, then not working again, but overall pretty well pleased. Count me in your minority. :)

I had one recording issue were the recording didn't play back, but other then that no issues.

As others have said, you guys are what D* is targeting right now. People that have never had a DVR or Tivo. I'm glad most of you have had minor issues and I hope they iron out the major bugs by the time the HD DVR comes out, which is what I'm waiting for. In a way, you guys are Beta testers and I implore you to contact D* with any problems you have with this unit!! Good luck!!--Ray

redman042 said:
How many former TiVo users have switched to the R15 and are generally happy with it?
Me. My Tivo broke on Christmas day:( "Generally happy" is not really a term I would use to describe the transition. So far, I'm not liking the "seriesLink" and seriously miss seasonpass. The serieslink is recording repeats, which is a problem I have seen mentioned several times on other threads and forums. That guide filter is annoying too. There are a few other drawbacks I could mention, but I'm going to keep an open mind and give it a couple weeks to get more familiar with it. After all, human nature is to resist change ;)
Donna
Got fish? Visit www.nlpublish.com

Last edited:
redman042 said:
How many former TiVo users have switched to the R15 and are generally happy with it?

I have both. I moved my DTivo to the spare room last week and my R15 to the living room. While I anxiously await them fixing the SP problem, the Interactive weather and especially NFL are great. Also the ease of setting SP and speed of menu's are nice.
There is a learning curve coming from TIVO but it is doing a good job and my wife actually like it better than the TIVO. If in fact DTV to Go is coming soon that should make it a big plus also. And for the cost (free) it's certainly not a bad box to have.

Is SeriesLink basically the same as Season Pass, except for less reliable screening out of repeats? Is that the only drawback vs. TiVo Season Pass?

Also, the other big issue I hear about is that, with the R15 it is harder to skip through commercials without overshooting. Is that true?

Redman,
Yes, it is the same. No, right now, I would say that's not the only drawback, IMO. Skipping thru commercials last night while watching Medium was difficult. But as I said, I have to give it more time to get used to it.

I have had a Directv Tivo (Philips 700 series) for a little over a year and love it.

I just got the new Directv R15 in November and had nothing but problems....primarily to do with the series link function. Not only would it record repeats when it shouldn't, it was also skipping first run programming that was scheduled to record (even though it showed up as "scheduled"). I found it very frustrating not to be able to depend on it.

D* sent out a replacement unit which turned out to be another Philips Tivo unit. I'm much happier.

Not only would it record repeats when it shouldn't, it was also skipping first run programming that was scheduled to record (even though it showed up as "scheduled").

Sounds like stuff that could be fixed under the advanced options. I had the same issues with cable DVR until I figured it out. Tivo has some patents so they have to do things a little different. You have to get use to it and after you figure it out you'll sau Duh to yourself.

Roger said:
Sounds like stuff that could be fixed under the advanced options. I had the same issues with cable DVR until I figured it out. Tivo has some patents so they have to do things a little different. You have to get use to it and after you figure it out you'll sau Duh to yourself.

No...the whole 'duh' factor should be DirecTV saying to themselves 'Duh...why did we release such a buggy unit without properly testing it'. I had nothing but problems with 2 R-15s. DirecTV sent out a Tech and he said that there was no reason to give me another R-15 because the first 2 were buggy right out of the box - they never recorded Series Link programs reliably. I ended up with an R-10
and couldn't be happier. Long story short, DirecTV will be sending me a free R-15 after they get the bugs worked out.

I have a directivo and 2 r-15s. All three have been doing a great job. The interface on the 15 takes a bit getting use to but they haven't missed a beat in recording what we have set up.

Roger said:

I don't think so. I did some troubleshooting with several different techs over a period of about 2 weeks. It was eventually escalated to a supervisor who decided I had a faulty unit and said they would send out a new one. But the new one turned out to be one of the Tivos.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts