How things have changed

Please, learn something about this business. This is a GREAT board. You can learn a lot here.
Sooner or later, you will figure out who I work for, mestevo knows, which makes this even more hilarious.
Maybe even that games on ESPN+ (Ball State-Ohio) don't have "much better ratings" than games on ESPN (Alabama-Tennessee).
No one has said that, but since ESPN+ has 25 million subscribers shows there is a audience for a streaming version of ESPN
It is sad, really.
What is sad is there is not one positive story about Traditional Live TV Providers, where are all these experts that you keep posting about that say we are not moving towards a streaming world.

You have yet to post a link proving these outrageous things you post, not one.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Umm, no, this is just me, and about 5 other posters including Juan, making fun of people who don't know very much about the entertainment industry. If this were an academic exercise, we, and not you, would be the ones teaching.

But since you asked, here is the post, among the most uninformed opinions we have seen, even here.

Please, learn something about this business. This is a GREAT board. You can learn a lot here.

Maybe even that games on ESPN+ (Ball State-Ohio) don't have "much better ratings" than games on ESPN (Alabama-Tennessee).

It is sad, really.

Eh, I'll defer to the mods on this one. You admit to trolling and you insult people in nearly everything you post. I won't put you on ignore, I will continue to rebuff invented arguments with facts and let those who run the forums sort it out.

I asked for a citation of something you stated as fact and you hand waved what you said away as trolling and then linked to something else. Not surprising.

Umm, no, this is just me, and about 5 other posters including Juan, making fun of people who don't know very much about the entertainment industry. If this were an academic exercise, we, and not you, would be the ones teaching.
So in other words, you are trolling?

If you guys want to discuss your differing opinions on the subjects, have at it. However if the only reason you are going to join in is to "make fun of people", then find somewhere else to do that.

As far as this thread goes, you are done in it because of your admission. Please do not continue the same in other threads.

Finally official, Wide Open West (WOW) have joined Frontier, Fios and a number of other Cable TV companies and is dropping Live TV service.

These cable companies are going to be really hurting soon as "cord cutting 2.0" takes hold. I switched to T-Mobile 5G Home Internet over a year ago and couldn't be happier. I switched because Cox kept dropping out throughout the day and they claimed the coax in my house was bad - I had it replaced during a complete remodel in 2015 so I found that suspect. Decided to try T-Mobile and it's been more reliable, faster and half the price.

I know they're scared because they're running the same type of ads they ran in the late 90's and 2000's bashing satellite, only this time they don't have anything compelling to offer like high speed internet and the triple plays they were offering 15 years ago.

Reactions: navychop
These cable companies are going to be really hurting soon as "cord cutting 2.0" takes hold. I switched to T-Mobile 5G Home Internet over a year ago and couldn't be happier. I switched because Cox kept dropping out throughout the day and they claimed the coax in my house was bad - I had it replaced during a complete remodel in 2015 so I found that suspect. Decided to try T-Mobile and it's been more reliable, faster and half the price.

I know they're scared because they're running the same type of ads they ran in the late 90's and 2000's bashing satellite, only this time they don't have anything compelling to offer like high speed internet and the triple plays they were offering 15 years ago.
Cables old tech and dying a slow death

Reactions: MikeD-C05
In July, cable’s share fell below 30% for the first time, losing a full share point to stand at 29.6%. Broadcast usage fell 3.6%, down 0.8 points. On a year-over-year basis, broadcast viewing was down 5.4% (-1.5 points), and cable viewing was down 12.5% (-4.8 points).

IMG_0975.png

Now, there is only a 10.9% difference between streaming and Broadcast and Cable added together.

This will get very worse for Broadcast and Cable because of the strikes, if they last until early next year, the entire TV Season will be lost because of how long it takes production to ramp up, schedules with everyone and then spring/summer coming up ( most TV Seasons are done by May), there is no way they will air new episodes during the summer with reduced viewship and no sweeps period until November.

Since streaming films their shows so far in advance, those will have new shows throughout 2024, plus all the people that have only focused on Traditional Live TV, new things for them to discover.

Comscore, Inc. (Nasdaq: SCOR), a global, trusted partner for planning, transacting and evaluating media, today released its 7th annual State of Streaming report, which shows a 21% increase in the number of CTV hours per household watched, rising almost 2B year-over-year in 2023, up from 9.6B to 11.5B (May ‘22-May ‘23) with ad supported services capturing the bulk of new viewing.

• Cord Cutters have eclipsed traditional TV subscribers: As of May 2023, 60% of CTV households are now cordless, compared to just 37% in May 2019.
  • Digital video is accelerating its growth: Hours watched on connected devices have risen 20% year-over-year with 81% of WiFi households now streaming on CTV.
  • US households are adopting ad-supported streaming services at a faster rate: CTV households streaming ad-supported streaming services reached 83.7M, a 17% increase (from 2021-2023), while households streaming non-ad-supported services reached 81.1M, a 9% increase.
  • Consumption of Targeted programming on FAST/Advertising-based Video on Demand services is accelerating: Hispanic households consume nearly twice as many hours of FAST content, increasing 81% year-on-year.
  • Linear programming is evolving within the digital landscape: On the measure of content performance, 3 linear streaming providers are included in the Top 10 video services (MVPD streaming) on hours viewed per HH.

IMG_1035.png

Only, roughly, 12% behind both broadcast and cable added together.

As the strikes go on, expect it to get a lot worse during the TV Season, something Broadcast/Cable Channels might find hard to recover from.

Just did the math, starting to believe more and more it is not just prices that are causing people to leave, but the way they wish to view programming, especially amongst the under 50 group.

For example total loses in quarter 1 ( cable/sat/live tv via streaming all lost in total)-2,215,000

Quarter 2 ( cable/sat/live tv via streaming all lost in total)-1,700,000

Quarter 3-Cable/Sat loss-1,790,000
Live TV Streaming gained 1,327,000

So total losses, mostly from Cable/Sat, was 5.7 million, so a deficit of almost 4.4 million.

If it was just about how much $$$ Cable/Satellite Live TV was , streaming Live TV should have a bigger gain since it is a lot less.

So, more and more, people just do not care about live TV anymore , not even streaming.

What has started them on this path, I believe ON Demand and DVRs did, that is what taught them that Live TV is unnecessary, so Cable/Satellite was part of the cause of their irrelevance in today’s world.

Just did the math, starting to believe more and more it is not just prices that are causing people to leave, but the way they wish to view programming, especially amongst the under 50 group.

For example total loses in quarter 1 ( cable/sat/live tv via streaming all lost in total)-2,215,000

Quarter 2 ( cable/sat/live tv via streaming all lost in total)-1,700,000

Quarter 3-Cable/Sat loss-1,790,000
Live TV Streaming gained 1,327,000

So total losses, mostly from Cable/Sat, was 5.7 million, so a deficit of almost 4.4 million.

If it was just about how much $$$ Cable/Satellite Live TV was , streaming Live TV should have a bigger gain since it is a lot less.

So, more and more, people just do not care about live TV anymore , not even streaming.

What has started them on this path, I believe ON Demand and DVRs did, that is what taught them that Live TV is unnecessary, so Cable/Satellite was part of the cause of their irrelevance in today’s world.

Other than sporting events and news, why would anyone want to watch live TV?

Four more Small Cable Providers are calling it quits with their TV Service.

Having sat / cable doesn’t mean you watch live. I DVR everything and I’ve been with Dish what, 20+ years?
I am in the same boat - unless it is a sporting event (anything NFL) or something with breaking news - I do a lot of DVR'ing then watch on my own time.

Reactions: navychop
Having sat / cable doesn’t mean you watch live. I DVR everything and I’ve been with Dish what, 20+ years?
What does that have to do with them shutting down TV Service because it is unprofitable?

I have no need of the DVR, the vast majority of programming shown on Cable/Broadcast Channels is on the streaming services ( along with the exclusive shows/movies), so I click on the program and hit ok, just like a DVR.

The advantage is, do not have to FF commercials and the content is in better video quality, 1080P or 4K.
I am in the same boat - unless it is a sporting event (anything NFL)
NFL is already mostly streaming, so that is handled, College Football is the last holdout and that will be handled as of early 2025 when ESPN goes streaming.
or something with breaking news -
CNN is already streaming, then we have the Networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) 24hr News Services streaming.
I do a lot of DVR'ing then watch on my own time.
Answered above.