How this is possible?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

timbear3

Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Florida
I am new into this FTA hobby and I am planning of buying a 33” Ku band dish, a receiver (Sonicview) and a motor to be able to receive from Galaxy 19 and AMC 21 satellites one at a time using the motor. The receiver has the ability of move the motor to those two satellites. My question is: How if the two satellites has a different elevations (54.7 deg and 32.6 deg) and the motor swinging only horizontally can find both? Thanks.

make sure first you do have a clear line of sight (los). as for the motor it is set up that if you set the proper settings for the motor and the dish the motor scans what is the arc. it is harder to get the arc in the beginning. so if you lock one sat at a high quality it might not lock the other sat. what you might want to look into for better ku is the deal galaxy marketing (wsi international) has if it isnt over and that is the 90cm dish and motor listed in the beginning of the fta thread. the both perform very well for me with the spitfire ku universal lnb. i hope this helps. and remember patience is the key when working with a motorized sat.

your welcome. if you have any other questions (i had a million) all the guys here are great for helping out.

My question is: How if the two satellites has a different elevations (54.7 deg and 32.6 deg) and the motor swinging only horizontally can find both? Thanks.

The motor shaft has a bend that allows the dish to perform a combination turn, i.e., the dish won't move in a straight left-right travel, but will actually rotate a small amount clockwise/counterclockwise as it travels across the horizon. This will change the "elevation" in the proper way to track the orbit positions of the satellites. This is the reason the true south must be set correctly as well as the declination angle, etc. You'll see this much more clearly after you get it set up and watch it rotate.:up

Use patience, read CAREFULLY and have patience -- -- good luck and happy sat chasing....

Bill

You can see how the motor tilts (Elevation changes too) the dish in this video by Galaxy-Marketing: hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu_v2ZofOW8&feature=related

Thank you, all. As soon as I get everything together I’ll let you know. I’ll have a few questions, I am sure.:)

I am new into this FTA hobby and I am planning of buying a 33” Ku band dish, a receiver (Sonicview) and a motor to be able to receive from Galaxy 19 and AMC 21 satellites one at a time using the motor. The receiver has the ability of move the motor to those two satellites. My question is: How if the two satellites has a different elevations (54.7 deg and 32.6 deg) and the motor swinging only horizontally can find both? Thanks.

The motor is designed to adjust the dishes elevation as it moves across the arc. It doesn't just move in a straight horizontal line. There are other systems that allow you to set elevation for a specific sat especially one that is in an inclined orbit.

I....My question is: How if the two satellites has a different elevations (54.7 deg and 32.6 deg) and the motor swinging only horizontally can find both? Thanks.

The simple answer is that if the motor was only swinging horizontally, it couldn't. Your motor isn't (can't) swing horizontally. To swing horizontally, the motor shaft would have to be vertical, but it isn't, it is sloped by an angle set on the latitude/elevation scales on the motor. With the rotation axis tilted, both the azimuth and elevation of the dish aim are changed as the motor turns.

BTW, it has almost NOTHING to do with the bend in the shaft. That is only there to help you adjust declination and to minimize the torque on the motor. You really wouldn't need any bend in the motor shaft if the dish you were attaching could adjust to any elevation.

Can't find it.

I have my Sonicview 360 Elite connected. I try to scan G19 first and find out that the satellites on the list are neither Galaxy19 (new names G25, IA5) nor AMC21. How can I scan these if they are not on the receiver's list. Thanks

I have my Sonicview 360 Elite connected. I try to scan G19 first and find out that the satellites on the list are neither Galaxy19 (new names G25, IA5) nor AMC21. How can I scan these if they are not on the receiver's list. Thanks
quick reply: Someone will chime in later with an answer specific to your STB. When you lock onto some sort of a signal and BLIND SCAN the signal will be scanned regardless of what you call it. then from that you can tell what bird you are on. The name in the list just is so you can find it again.... NOW--- the orbital postion is important to be correct when you use the motor, so after you find what bird you are on, you go to that bird on the list and scan again, so your motor finds the station when you really get there. == G19 is orbital postion 97°W

(Old Indian Answer to white mans question - as my dad used to say.)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)