How to check Spot beam levels

I don't think it can be done directly with satellite tune. I think you have to go into the Transponder Survey, to the options, and choose WITH SPOTS.
I'm in SoCal so I can't see those transponders anyway but I do see the WITH SPOTS option in my meter.

Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
The OP's location is Broussard, LA, which is in the Lafayette DMA. Looking at the TPN Map, their local stations actually come from 99S. He is probably just checking to see if he can still get anything from 103S, since the neighboring Lake Charles, Alexandria & Baton Rouge DMAs are also fed by 99S.
Edit: The New Orleans DMA is a 103S DMA. Looking at the spotbeam map on Google Earth, Broussard is between the green (53.5 DBw) and purple (55.5 DBw) area on the beam. I remember Tom telling me 51 DBw is good enough for Ka reception, so it is definitely possible to get a good signal on 103S, or more specifically 103 S TPNs 21/TID 236 & 22/TID 237, in that area.

Attachments

• Broussard beam.jpg
    Broussard beam.jpg
    693.1 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: detuch254
Using the With Spots option, what TPN would I be looking for. I see that using with spots I get 103b TPN 21 which doesn't show up on a regular test.
But the signal level that i see on the meter is quite a bit different than what the system is showing. I am working on a Technicolor COM2000 system.

As I said in the last post, your locals (Lafayette, LA) are from 99S, so if the hotel TV system you're working on is in the New Orleans DMA, you would be looking for both 103S TPN 21 & 22. The other DMAs that border the Lafayette DMA have their locals also coming from 99S, also like I said in the last post.
TPN 21 has these NOLA locals:
4 WWL
6 WDSU
8 WVUE
26 WGNO
42 KGLA
TPN 22 has:
12 WYES
38 WNOL
49 ION
54 WUPL
My home DMA (Scranton/Wilkes-BArrre/Hazleton, PA), however, uses only one TPN for all 8 of its locals, specifically TPN 19 of 103S.

Last edited:
As I said in the last post, your locals (Lafayette, LA) are from 99S, so if the hotel TV system you're working on is in the New Orleans DMA, you would be looking for both 103S TPN 21 & 22. The other DMAs that border the Lafayette DMA have their locals also coming from 99S, also like I said in the last post.
TPN 21 has these NOLA locals:
4 WWL
6 WDSU
8 WVUE
26 WGNO
42 KGLA
TPN 22 has:
12 WYES
38 WNOL
49 ION
54 WUPL
My home DMA (Scranton/Wilkes-BArrre/Hazleton, PA), however, uses only one TPN for all 8 of its locals, specifically TPN 19 of 103S.
I am not in the Lafayette market, I am in the New Orleans market right now and am troubleshooting an issue with the channels on 103s TPN21

I do understand you're in the NOLA DMA, I only mentioned Lafayette becuase its the DMA the location on your profile is in.
But what issue exactly are you having, are you getting a lower-than-normal or no signal on that TPN, or are you getting a good signal but for whatever reason cannot watch the locals?

He is probably just checking to see if he can still get anything from 103S, since the neighboring Lake Charles, Alexandria & Baton Rouge DMAs are also fed by 99S.
Unless one is looking to "move", I don't see the point. It isn't like broadcast TV where adding an antenna may bring you new stations.

Spots are typically boost-controlled for weather reliability so what you see at one point in time may evaporate (or boom) at another time.

Read the posts after the one of mine that you quoted, the OP said he was setting up a COM2000 system (Equipment that distributes D* channels to hotels, hospitals, etc.) that was located IN the NOLA DMA. But his home location (the one on his profile on here) is a city in the Lafayette DMA. I'm not sure if that's confusing you, I mean, it did confuse me when I first saw the post, but I quickly figured it out.

I do understand you're in the NOLA DMA, I only mentioned Lafayette becuase its the DMA the location on your profile is in.
But what issue exactly are you having, are you getting a lower-than-normal or no signal on that TPN, or are you getting a good signal but for whatever reason cannot watch the locals?
I am getting low signal levels at the head unit. They do not correlate very well to the AIM, but either way the signal for the TPN i am asking about is obviously low. I am offshore in the gulf of mexico on an oil platform and it has a stabilized dome. I get better signal levels with a SL5 fixed dish, but the platform moves a bit too much to keep them on that.

Hi there Wrecker347, the company I work for has DIRECTV systems on several platforms out where you are. We have local guys who can help you figure out what’s going on rather than having you go it alone.

With respect to the many knowledgeable people here, oil rig stuff is a little different from residential.

My suggestion is to give my colleague Essa Alijelat a call. I know he helps other people in the gulf on oil rigs. We have worked with Intellian, KVH, Seatel, and other marine domes for over 20 years.

Last edited:
Hi there Wrecker347, the company I work for has DIRECTV systems on several platforms out where you are. We have local guys who can help you figure out what’s going on rather than having you go it alone.

With respect to the many knowledgeable people here, oil rig stuff is a little different from residential.

My suggestion is to give my colleague Essa Alijelat a call. I know he helps other people in the gulf on oil rigs. We have worked with Intellian, KVH, Seatel, and other marine domes for over 20 years.

Thanks Stuart