How to conncect dish network reciever to the home theater reciever

sunkara7

Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
I just bought a new home theater system (Sony Home Theater System HT-DDW670) and I was trying to connect my dish network reciever (PVR) to the home theater reciever. But the sound that is coming out of the speakers are much low when compared to the sound coming when I connect my dvd player to the home theater reciever. I need to put the volume at 55 for the dish reciever where as I just need to put volume 30 for the dvd player.

My Dish reciever has 2 outputs where I used one output to connect to the Tv and connect the other output to the Home theater reciever.

Could any body help me to connect the dishnetwork reciever to the home theater reciever.

thanks

dfergie said:
Welcome to SatelliteGuys... you are using the optical out on your dishnet receiver and not the Rca jacks? and if so do you have the optical selected in your Sonys menu?

Thanks for your reply

There are 2 pairs of jacks (white, red and yellow) on the back of the reciever. I am using one pair for the tv and the other pair (using only red and white jacks) for the home theater reciever. I dont know about rca jacks and optical??? I am only the begginer in this area. I cant see my reciever as I am at office right now. I dont remember the model no of the dish reciever but my reciever is a PVR type with 36 hrs of record time.

Go here http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qR25v5P3orM/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=37600&id=other_items&i=158HTDW670#Tab This shows you the optical(also known as toslink) cable, but you can pick one up at RadioShack or most electronic stores for much less... you will connect it to an "D" shaped output on your 501 and the same shaped on your Sony with the flat part of the "D" down ... the dish receivers should have a little trap door and the Sony might have same or a plug in it. Here is another from radio shack... http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=15-1061

I have one more doubt. Does it need to be HD channel in order to recieve good sound from the home theater system????

Because I only have non HD channels. The sound that I am recieving from FM radio is aslo good.

No.. but only the premium movie channels carry 5.1 sound but it should sound much better this way... also you can hook this same cable to your dvd player for 5.1 sound... if on the off chance your dvd player does not have the toslink out it will have a rca jack that will output too your sony as it has one of these also...

Sunkara - Even after switching to an optical (toslink) audio cable, you still might find a disparity in volume between DVD and Satellite. It's common that different sources provide different signal levels. On a Dish 811, there is even a huge difference in volume between the Dish channels and the over-the-air channels, both from the same receiver!

BTW, which model Dish receiver are you using?

GaryPen said:
Sunkara - Even after switching to an optical (toslink) audio cable, you still might find a disparity in volume between DVD and Satellite. It's common that different sources provide different signal levels. On a Dish 811, there is even a huge difference in volume between the Dish channels and the over-the-air channels, both from the same receiver!

BTW, which model Dish receiver are you using?

I dont remember the model no but its a PVR with 36 hrs of record time. My dish is a 36" and pointing to 121 satellite.

GaryPen said:
It's common that different sources provide different signal levels. On a Dish 811, there is even a huge difference in volume between the Dish channels and the over-the-air channels, both from the same receiver!
GP - Is there any fix that you know of? If I'm on OTA, and have it semi-loud, and switch to Sat, I get BLASTED! I am trained now to mostly remember to lower the volume prior to switching, but sometimes forget! Can Dish be contacted to lower the volume on a particular account? I am using a 942, and it seems to be more pronounced than it did on my 811.
Tom in TX

sunkara7 said:
Does it need to be HD channel in order to recieve good sound from the home theater system????
No. You will get digital stereo from all the channels that have stereo. The digital connection may give you more volume and/or better quality. Some channels also have Dolby Digital (HD, some premiums, some PPV) which you will need the optical cord to get. See http://ekb.dbstalk.com/236. Do you also have a VCR or DVD-R in the mix for archiving?

No, S-Video is analog and is the round connection about 1 cm across that has several wire leads inside. The Toslink is digital and is driven by a light that sends a digital signal used for audio (often surround sound) down a fiber optic cable to an audio receiver.

It seems that you have a 501 receiver. So do I, and I have mine connected to my audio receiver with a Toslink cable. The port on the back of my 501 is labeled as Dolby Digital Output, is the first port to the left of the phone jack, and is underneath the screw in about the middle of the receiver. I bought my Toslink cable at RadioShack

Tom in TX said:
GP - Is there any fix that you know of? If I'm on OTA, and have it semi-loud, and switch to Sat, I get BLASTED! I am trained now to mostly remember to lower the volume prior to switching, but sometimes forget! Can Dish be contacted to lower the volume on a particular account? I am using a 942, and it seems to be more pronounced than it did on my 811.
Tom in TX
I know of no user-configurable fix. I suppose it may be possible to correct it in the software. Or, it could be a HW limitation.

kavula said:
No, S-Video is analog and is the round connection about 1 cm across that has several wire leads inside. The Toslink is digital and is driven by a light that sends a digital signal used for audio (often surround sound) down a fiber optic cable to an audio receiver.

It seems that you have a 501 receiver. So do I, and I have mine connected to my audio receiver with a Toslink cable. The port on the back of my 501 is labeled as Dolby Digital Output, is the first port to the left of the phone jack, and is underneath the screw in about the middle of the receiver. I bought my Toslink cable at RadioShack

Thanks for your kind response

I just bought "PureAV™ S-Video/Digital Optical Cable Kit (AV2210003)" from CircuitCity for $9.99. Could you kindly look at it and tell me whether it is the one that I needed.

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)