How to connect 2 Hoppers together on same LAN but 2 dish system (different buildings)

niceguypmp3

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 4, 2013
south central iowa
I Had a Hopper upgrade done a couple months ago and had a HWS installed with 2 joey's in my house and then in my office, which is 200 ft away in a different building and required a 2nd dish but same account, I have just a Hopper. I would like to connect them all together on my LAN. I found out online how to get my routers so that they are configured as one LAN and now when i look at my network devices on a computer I can see both of the Hoppers listed. Also, On each hopper, when I look at the "Whole House" menu, it shows the other hopper on each one, but if I click on it, it won't link it together or even try.

Does anyone know what I can do to make this work? I have the HWS connected to the LAN wirelessly through the built in wifi and the hopper in the office is connected to the LAN through the wireless usb dongle that the installer put on it. The Joey's are only connected to the HWS by coax. Surely it is possible to do such a thing. Any help would sure be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

I have read things online about connecting hoppers together on LAN and also getting joey's to link to a different hopper. Is there any way to get it to where with my current setup described above that I can access the Hopper in my office with one of the joey's from here in the house? The hoppers are both connected on the same LAN, would it work to hook an ethernet cable up to one of the joey's? If other people have gotten it to work on a 2 satellite system like mine, then surely there is a way to get mine to also. Any ideas?

I have read things online about connecting hoppers together on LAN and also getting joey's to link to a different hopper. Is there any way to get it to where with my current setup described above that I can access the Hopper in my office with one of the joey's from here in the house? The hoppers are both connected on the same LAN, would it work to hook an ethernet cable up to one of the joey's? If other people have gotten it to work on a 2 satellite system like mine, then surely there is a way to get mine to also. Any ideas?

If you can't see both Hoppers from the Joyes it sounds like your installer may have used a single node for each Hopper and satellite dish setup. For them all to be connected for shared recordings they should have used one duo node instead of 2 single nodes.

the installer had to use the two satellite dish setup because of the distance between the house and my office. Surely with this setup, there is a way to be able to view things one each hopper from either the other hopper and/or the joey's just over the LAN connection I have described.

the installer had to use the two satellite dish setup because of the distance between the house and my office. Surely with this setup, there is a way to be able to view things one each hopper from either the other hopper and/or the joey's just over the LAN connection I have described.

I understand the need for two dishes but it still sounds like he used the wrong node. People have reported being able to remove the coax from their joeys and still getting a signal through Ethernet. I would try unplugging the joeys from coax and using this method to see if they are able to link to the other hopper. I'm not sure if this would work to view recordings from one hopper on the other but if they are on the same network it should work for the joeys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The easy solution may be to put both hoppers via a duo node in your house and put a joey in the office. The joey would then connect over the lan to your hoppers at home. The second dish in the office would then be unnecessary.

That's making an assumption that you have a solid network between home and office (and the ability to troubleshoot on your own when connecting the joey).

With this type of setup, you would be responsible for joey connection in the office since it's no longer using coax. It's not something a dish tech would normally troubleshoot.

Last edited:
The easy solution may be to put both hoppers via a duo node in your house and put a joey in the office. The joey would then connect over the lan to your hoppers at home. The second dish in the office would then be unnecessary.

That's making an assumption that you have a solid network between home and office (and the ability to troubleshoot on your own when connecting the joey).

With this type of setup, you would be responsible for joey connection in the office since it's no longer using coax. It's not something a dish tech would normally troubleshoot.

Sparc's way is gonna be the easiest way to do it. You'll need to come up with a duo node and run another line down from the dish to move the 2nd hopper into the house. Hoppers can't link and share recordings via LAN, you'd need a coax connection from client port to client port on your separate nodes in order for that to work properly. It's an option, but you'd have to bury 200 feet of cable.

Moving the joey to the office and connecting it via a wifi or hard ethernet connection will allow you to access recording on either hopper, however you will have to link it to whichever hopper you are trying to view recordings from. The drop down DVR menu only applies to a joey that is linked via moca.

Hopefully this isn't to late. Instead of using the lan to connect the joey to the hoppers which could be stopped with a software update. I would take a coax from the client port on node in office and run it to a 3-way splitter on the client port on the house node. The reason for the 3-way splitter is just so that you can have the joeys and the line from the office node going into the house node. The distance there won't really cause a huge issue other than being able to run the coax assuming you don't have any major obstacles. That way you don't have to move stuff around. Moca signal will be combined with the coax between the two nodes.

Questions about Bridging and Internet

Hopper Conection Without Joey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)