Howard County Grants Verizon Cable Authority

mdtvzhockey023 said:
OMG! I just went on verizon's newscenter page and found this!

http://newscenter.verizon.com/proactive/newsroom/release.vtml?id=93313&PROACTIVE_ID=cecdc7c7cbc9cfcdcec5cecfcfcfc5cecdcfcac9cac8cbccccc5cf

FiOS TV is now in Howard County and it says that Verizon will begin taking orders immediately!

Now im really pissed about not being able to order it yet even though it is availible in my county and the neighborhood next to ours can get it :no
Take a deep breath, it could be worse...FiOS is still another 12-18 months away from my neighborhood.:( There...don't ya feel better now!:)

Hell, my wife is wanting to move back into Maryland and suggested Howard County. I'm all for it knowing FiOS wil be available, but I recently looked at home prices and discovered is will probably cost us an additional 400-500K to purchase a similar home in Howard County. Ugh!

mdtvzhockey023 said:
Yea, home prices have really increased here. And putting myself in your shoes, it must be terrible to have to wait that long for such an amazing service.
I've see both FiOS TV and Cavalier TV in action. I love the technology, but I HATE not having additional choices. I've been stuck with Adelphia Powerstink the past 5 1/2 years because they are the only broadband providers in town. I'm simply paying too much for their often unreliable broadband service. My Dish Network video experience has been pretty good, but I certainly don't like VOOM-Lite or idiotic fees that make the service too costly in my opinion: the $5.98 DVR fee should cover ALL DVRs on the account, paying $5.00 for locals (when I don't need them) just so I can receive Guide Data is extortion IMO...especially when I'm already paying multiple DVR fees for crying out loud (I won't even address that goofy HD Enabling Fee).

As I see it right now, I'm willing to pay Dish Network $99.99 for DishHD Platinum and a $5.98 DVR fee, but they had better waive multiple DVR fees, not charge a $5 or $6 HD additional receiver fee for my purchased receivers, and provide me with Guide Data for the locals I am already receiving with my antenna. As much as we like our Dish Network service (942 and 622 rock) we love our Verizon landline and Wireless service - it always works and we'll receive bundled discounts that make Dish Network service unaffordable when compared to FiOS TV! Anything more than $105.97 for as many receivers that I can purchase and stuff on the switches and I can't justify remaining a Dish Network customer once FiOS rolls into town.

rifjim, I'm not to impressed with Cavalier. Their website says phone and DSL available to me, but no TV. The last time I tried, the website said phone and DSL was available to me, but when I called it wasn't. The old company I used to work for had Cav DSL as well. Even though they advertise 10Mbps, we were only able to get 768kbps.

-John

jgantert said:
rifjim, I'm not to impressed with Cavalier. Their website says phone and DSL available to me, but no TV. The last time I tried, the website said phone and DSL was available to me, but when I called it wasn't. The old company I used to work for had Cav DSL as well. Even though they advertise 10Mbps, we were only able to get 768kbps.

-John
Cavalier is going to roll-out their IPTV and triple play to the Richmond VA market only in the near future. They have largely been waiting on cable legislation here in VA...plus, ironing out a variety of content and technical issues. It is my understanding their advertising campaign has been completed and they are waiting in the wings for a green light. Also, from the background noise I hear, developments are being made on the content and legal ends.

As I mentioned in another post, I believe Cavalier TV will be initially launched with no HD channels...those were planned to be rolled out later in the summer. However, perhaps their plans have changed...maybe the delays gave them an opportunity to test their MPEG-4 HD capable IPTV boxes and secure HD content. I don't know, but it should prove interesting.

Perhaps more importantly, in time I am hoping to see their services available to FiOS customers. Exciting times!

I'm still waiting for FIOS to go live at my house. Once it does, I will report. :)

Looks like no OLN, HdNet1, CSN-HD, MoviePlex, RetroPlex, or IndiePlex. Plus G4 is in the sports pack (BANZAI!!!) :)

On the plus side, you get MASN, Fox Movie Channel, Reality channel, ESPNU, Sleuth, plus the extra HD channels (Wealth, ESPN2, NG & MTV).

I'm expecting simular results to what has been posted here. Great PQ, and same old cr*p DVR. I might just get the regular HD box this time, as I have not been impressed with Comcast's DVR at all.

-John

riffjim4069 said:
John, I can't recall but I was thinking you had a Sony DHG-HDD500 (ATSC/QAM) HD DVR. If so, perhaps you can tell me if FiOS TV is supporting cable-card and passing through TVGOS.
Nah, I have the SA8300HD (was the SA8000HD). I was looking into the Sony box, but passed on it. I'm thinking the new HD TiVo units with Cablecard 2.0 look good.

-John

GOOD NEWS!

Today, as I was comming home, I was driving through the neighborhood and noticed things on all the mailboxes that were the colours red, black, and white. I thought to myself, aren't these the verizon colours. Then i thought, nah its probably just some advertisement.

So, as I pulled up to my house, I went over to my mailbox to see what this was. The first thing my eyes saw was a nice, big verizon symbol and then I became very happy (VERY- as in jumping up and down with a big smile on).

The "door-hanger" that was on my mailbox said that they will begin transforming my neighborhood within the next 72 hours!

Any ideas on how long it will take to get all conduit and fiber in?

I attached the door-hanger below...

Attachments

• VERIZONnotice.gif
    VERIZONnotice.gif
    181.4 KB · Views: 145
That happened for me back in February, and I'm still waiting for FIOS service to go live. I've called and they said the fiber is buried, but not active yet. Oh well.

-John

mdtvzhockey023 said:
GOOD NEWS!

Today, as I was comming home, I was driving through the neighborhood and noticed things on all the mailboxes that were the colours red, black, and white. I thought to myself, aren't these the verizon colours. Then i thought, nah its probably just some advertisement.

So, as I pulled up to my house, I went over to my mailbox to see what this was. The first thing my eyes saw was a nice, big verizon symbol and then I became very happy (VERY- as in jumping up and down with a big smile on).

The "door-hanger" that was on my mailbox said that they will begin transforming my neighborhood within the next 72 hours!

Any ideas on how long it will take to get all conduit and fiber in?

I attached the door-hanger below...

I was told it takes about 2 month's from the time you get the notice to the time the fiber is in and working.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

So i guess the 72 hours just means they will begin preparing to bury conduit within that time, then you have to wait about 2 months for the fiber to be pulled through and activated? Or do they pull the fiber through shortly after the conduit is buried and then the "2 months" is the time it takes to get activated.

I am saying this because near the entrance to my neighborhood there is a big loop of Fiber up on the pole (it is black fiber in a loop)

Last edited:
For my neighborhood, they buried the condiut, then a week or so later, ran the fiber. Then you wait. :) I've been told it could be up to a year before its active.

-John

Well, today the website say FIOS internet is available to me! Woo-hoo. Now to decide 5 or 15???

Unfortunately, according to the website, FIOS TV isn't available to me yet. Does it talk Verizon longer to setup the TV portion, or can you only order the TV if you have FIOS Internet first?

-John

go with the fifteen for the extra 10 bucks, is my opinion. but if you are a casual internet user, 5/2 will be fine and it will eventually get upgraded to 10/2 at no charge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts