HR-10 bit the dust... Or did it??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tonedeaf

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 30, 2004
Rockwall, TX
So my HR10 decided to stay on the welcome screen last week and would go no furthur. I called in to Directv and they are sending me a replacement, which is an HR20.

My question is, with all you can do to the HR10's, could I try and re-install everything onto a new Harddrive and try to resurrect it?

The D* rep told me I would not have to return it and that I could as I please since it was not functioning.

If I can get it working before the HR20 gets here, should I just leave the receiver active? What will they say when I activate the HR20 and not disconnect the HR10?

So my HR10 decided to stay on the welcome screen last week and would go no furthur. I called in to Directv and they are sending me a replacement, which is an HR20.

My question is, with all you can do to the HR10's, could I try and re-install everything onto a new Harddrive and try to resurrect it?

The D* rep told me I would not have to return it and that I could as I please since it was not functioning.

If I can get it working before the HR20 gets here, should I just leave the receiver active? What will they say when I activate the HR20 and not disconnect the HR10?

Not sure what they would do when you try to activate both boxes on your account, aside from say okay, pay us another $5/mo for the mirrored service.

But as for returning the HR0 before you even activate it, your HR10-250 will not be able to see any of the new HD coming in about three weeks (or less ;) ). You should continue to see the current HD for maybe another year, but after that, D* will likely go all MPEG-4 and sianora HR10-250 (for D* HD), but you can probably still get HD OTA with it after that time...

Good news that they claim to not want it, but good luck keeping it and hopefully resurrecting it. :)

So I worked on the HR10 last night. Was up until 3am doing so. Got it working again with an image of 6.3b I found and restored it. Works fine and calls in to DirecTV and seems all is well with it.

Getting the HR20 today via Fedex.

When I call in to activate the HR20, I am just going to deactivate an older Samsung TS360 in place of the HR10. Will they question that at all?

Also, since they told me that I could disgard the HR10, should I be sure that they list that one as an owned receiver? The HR20 obviously would still be a leased one.

They will not question it. Just deactivate the receiver that you no longer want to use. Congrats on restoring it.

What are the chances of getting a replacement HR20 for my current HR10 just by asking? And could it be an even swap?

Depends on lots of factors - people have reported various results to similar requests.

Give 'em a call - see how you do.

Also, since they told me that I could disgard the HR10, should I be sure that they list that one as an owned receiver? The HR20 obviously would still be a leased one.

If you got the HR20 as a replacement via the Protection Plan, rather than as a good faith out-of-warranty replacement, you should own the HR20 as it is the protection plan replacement for the HR10 (you pay monthly for the replacement plan, so there shouldn't be any strings attached - you should own it and there should be no contract). On the other hand if it is a good faith replacement or upgrade, it will be leased with a contract extension.

If you are going to deactivate another receiver, I wouldn't ask about leased vs. owned right now. While I don't think the CSRs have any real clue or interest which receiver is which with regards to model numbers, I would just have them deactivate an old receiver and make sure you tell them that it is a protection plan replacement (assuming it is).

I had a similar situation to yours, where I completely reimaged my HR10 after they told me to do as I please with it. So since it was working again, I opted to disconnect an SD Tivo instead. I didn't ask about the owned vs. leased issue, since at that time it might raise some issues. I figure I can always ask at a later date, since they should have a record of the Protection Plan replacement order to straighten out the owned vs. leased issue.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)